Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 05:20 PM

6 posts, read 14,812 times

Advertisements

I may be moving to NJ for work. Work will be in Woodcliff Lake, however, I'm a single male and active and am always looking for things to do. I would want to live somewhere near NYC, possibly halfway from work and NYC.

I have no idea what places are good, Hoboken seems like a chill place, but it is a bit far. Any suggestions on Fort Lee<>Weehawken area, Hackensack<> Bogota area, or any area in general? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 08:30 PM

41 posts, read 129,324 times
Not many places... Ridgewood isn't bad, but it's mostly the 30s crowd. Nyack, Pearl River (both in Rockland County) have the 20s crowd that regularly visits. My husband and I still find ourselves going out in Nyack more often than Ridgewood just because of the age group difference.

Other than that.. your nearest places are Edgewater, and Hoboken.

I actually live in Woodcliff Lake... it's a pretty sleepy town, as are the surrounding areas. The one "hot" nightspot in this area is the old fashioned Dairy Queen located in Montvale on Chestnut Ridge Road. That's about it for the area...

Old 10-17-2011, 09:09 PM

thanks for the info. Im leaning more towards Edgewater, reason is that its close to hoboken, and just on the other side of NYC. How bout Cliffside Park? and is Edgewater a pretty safe spot?

Old 10-17-2011, 09:29 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,030,618 times
Edgewater's a pretty safe spot, not much going on there though and traffic on River Rd can be hellish to say the least. Ridgewood as mentioned could be a good option, Westwood or Rutherford as well. All have some nice restaurants and pubs, and trains that go to Hoboken, with any easy transfer at Secaucus into the city. They don't run back to Jersey very late at night though. Cliffside Park is alright but unless you have an off-street parking spot, it's kinda dicey. Hackensack isn't a bad option, but I'd stay in the northern part of the city, mostly around the Fairmount neighborhood. Good amount of restaurants and pubs. I live in Bogota myself, moved here from Queens/Brooklyn and love where we're at. Lotsa good pubs and restaurants around here in Teaneck. It's nice having some of the walkable conveniences like we did in NY but with the quietness and space of Bergen County.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:17 PM

yea i was looking at bogota/teaneck as well too, so you say there is some nightlife there? and back to cliffside park, what do you mean dicey?

Old 10-18-2011, 06:06 AM

41 posts, read 129,324 times
There is little in the way of nightlife in Hackensack/Bogota, just cheaper rents. Like someone else said, Westwood and Ridgewood are nice towns with things to do, but the nightlife is more geared towards the 30s crowd.

Edgewater and Hoboken are the nicest communities on the riverfront. I wouldn't stray far from either of those towns. Maybe Jersey City on the waterfront, but then your commute would be hell.

Nyack, NY may be your best option.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:08 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,772,397 times
You are better off going to Nyack, Pearl River, or Suffern in NY unless you really expect to spend a lot of time in Hoboken or NYC. it sucks having to take a long trek home from a night out when you do it consistently. All of them have enough bars/restaurants/things to do in order to have some fun and meet people.

You gotta be pretty far away from work to live in NJ and have a good night life local to you.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:09 PM

hows the commute to Woodcliff Lake from Hoboken, Google maps says about 35 mins. and vice versa. also traffic much?

Old 10-18-2011, 09:47 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,866,474 times
It's more like an hour plus. Yes traffic. It'd be a lousey commute unless you took the train maybe. But that probably isn't realistic, depending on where your company is compared to the train station .

Old 10-19-2011, 06:28 AM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancesherb View Post
hows the commute to Woodcliff Lake from Hoboken, Google maps says about 35 mins. and vice versa. also traffic much?
You're moving to New Jersey, the most densely populated state in the nation, and working in Bergen County, one of the most densely populated counties in the most densely populated state. This is the New York City metropolitan area. Expect traffic. Always.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey