Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:20 PM

5 posts, read 17,599 times

Advertisements

Where are some places to go fishing in North Jersey? I am looking to get into fishing as a hobby and am wondering how and where to do so. Any help and tips how to get started would be great. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 11:52 PM

341 posts, read 679,040 times
There are tons of fishing spots in north Jersey. However, unless I am interpreting your post incorrectly, I am assuming that you do not even have any fishing gear yet. Is my assumption correct? If so, what kind of fish are you looking to catch? Salt or fresh? Start with answering these basic questions first and then you can move on from there.

I am certainly no professional angler but I have been fishing in north and central Jersey for over 35 years. My three young sons and I have just dug out our fishing gear from the garage to get ready for another summer of action!

Old 04-10-2012, 08:21 AM

Thanks for replying, I do not have any gear yet and would like to know what to get before I go buying something crazy. As far as fresh or saltwater fish, I'm guessing freshwater? What would you say is easier to do? I had a friend that used to go up by Bear Mountain and fish up there which is about a 30 min trip for me.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:46 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinJ34 View Post
Thanks for replying, I do not have any gear yet and would like to know what to get before I go buying something crazy. As far as fresh or saltwater fish, I'm guessing freshwater? What would you say is easier to do? I had a friend that used to go up by Bear Mountain and fish up there which is about a 30 min trip for me.
Lots of people go fishing in the Ramapo. Popular spot.

Here's a state-wide website:

http://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/fishing.htm

Old 04-10-2012, 07:27 PM

36 posts, read 104,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinJ34 View Post

That is kind of a big question, fresh or saltwater. Saltwater is the ocean or can be called the areas attached to the ocean. Freshwater creeks streams rivers basically anything else.
If you live near the ocean go saltwater tons of boats to jump on for quarter - half - or full day fishing rent the gear on the boat for supercheap and see if you like it. Saltwater is easier to get into you can pay for the experience and if you like it go from there freshwater is more hit and miss.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:40 AM

Thanks NHRABill, sorry I know my question is quite broad. I think I'm leaning toward freshwater fishing as it seems more accessible and cheaper. I've got deep sea fishing a handful of times and enjoy it for the experience and relaxation, which is why I raised the question of where I can just grab a pole (and whatever bait and things I need) and head to a spot. Hopefully this clarifies a little of what I'm looking to do.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:44 PM

271 posts, read 1,019,360 times
I wish I had somebody to go fishing with and learn a thing or two.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:41 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Default NJ's vascular system of rivers and streams await

MQ had the best and most comprehensive advice to visit NJ fish and wildlife site!

Here are few other NJ fishing websites that you will find useful.

http://www.njflyfishing.com/vBulletin/f121-new-jersey-fly-fishing-forum/t21064-any-reports-shad-delaware.html

www.njtu.org

roundvalleyfishing.com

www.njfishfinder.com/view_fish_type.php?fish_id=18

everything-smallmouth.com/smallmouth-bass-fishing-in-new-jersey

www.backwoodsangler.com

Old 04-12-2012, 07:04 PM

323 posts, read 575,538 times
i fish off the beach ,i dont catch much but i like looking at the girls

Old 04-12-2012, 08:59 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,309,732 times
I have gone to the Big Flat Brook in Sussex County. Never a dull moment, fly fishing at it's finest, and there's the Delaware River just down the block. I used to fish the Ramapo River and the Saddle River. Great in the late spring, or early summer. As it got into summer, I would go night fishing, which is permissible in some areas. Check your rules and maps. I would enjoy the smaller Indian Lake in Little Ferry, for anything I could haul out of there (catfish and eel), I used to enjoy the lake at Darlington County Park, and there are a number of small ponds and bodies of water you will find yourself in the Ramapo Reservation. The Hudson River is brackish, but you could fish there based on the tides. I would absolutely go there with heavier freshwater outfits. Persons can catch stripers in the Hudson. Some have said the same about the Hackensack, but I think that is too 'backwater' (a lot of pollution in the 60's had left a lot of stinky mud at low tide for years). When I was there, very helpful persons were in the Ramsey Outdoor Stores, and they would offer suggestions and advice on where to go, what to use, all without being too sales oriented. Happy fishing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey