Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 11:32 AM

5 posts, read 33,910 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am starting a new job in Clinton,NJ in October and am considering living in Somerville, NJ. In some previous posts, it was mentioned that there are parts of Somerville that are not safe - would be grateful if someone could list out the neighborhoods that are unsafe. What about the downtown area? I have found an apartment on Main Street and am considering taking it. Would this be a good,safe area to live in?

Appreciate any help and info I can get,

thanks,
V
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 12,988 times
Default somerville sections

My daughter may be looking in Somerville to buy a home. I also would appreciate what areas are most desirable and safe to live in.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:52 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,669,512 times
Granted I don't live there, but I don't know of any parts of Somerville that would really be considered "undesirable".

Old 01-24-2008, 01:45 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,977,196 times
My fiancee and I almost gave up our house search to get an apartment there. The only reason we decided against it was because the market began to crash We nearly rented a HUGE one bedroom in one of the beautiful old buildings on Main Street above a store. The bedroom had an antique fireplace with a gorgeous mantle, and there were hardwood floors throughout with steam heat. I think the guy wanted $1400 a month with heat/hot water included. The area south of the Raritan Valley line tracks looks a bit sketchy, but the solution to that is just not to go there. Everything you need is on Main Street. The only caveat is that Somerville is the county seat and along with county administration offices, it houses the county jail, which is just off Main Street on the east side of town. Again, not an area you really need to go to-you want to be on the west end of Main Street near Mannion's Pub, Alfonso's Restaurant (there's great food in Somerville). Also, when we were looking we talked to some other residents of the building and there are a lot of 20 and 30-somethings who commute to NYC via Somerville Station and party it up at the various restaurants and bars. On Friday nights they also have "cruise night" where a lot of the local classic car clubs get together and ride up and down the main drag. Hope that helps.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:56 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jovobi View Post
My daughter may be looking in Somerville to buy a home. I also would appreciate what areas are most desirable and safe to live in.
Somerville is a nice little town. It's the Somerset County seat, so there are many government buildings, including a couple of historic ones. There are some streets & neighborhoods where the houses are in some disrepair, and that's mostly an economic issue. No one talks about Somerville as being unsafe or crime ridden. Somerville is well known for it's restaurants. There are many good eateries along & just off the main street, which is a nice walk in good weather. The school system isn't regardes as the best in the area, but you could do worse. NJ Dept. Of Education School Report Card. Houses are mostly older homes on your typical city lot. Close together, with a little patch of lawn in front, and a smallish backyard. There are some really nice older Victorians. Not a lot of negatives here, unless you're looking for a new 4,000 sq ft colonial. Not going to find many of those in Somerville. There is a project uderway right now to remake the main streetscape, mostly dealing with the large shopping center, and I believe a high rise (as that may defined in a small town like somerville) that will house both residential and commercial space.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:58 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
I wouldn't say there are really "unsafe" areas of Somerville per se- it's just not a really "great" town. It's often referred to as "Slummerville" by the folks in the surrounding towns like Bridgewater, since it's seen as being a more middle-class, less desirable area. The schools are so-so, which is a consideration if you have kids, but you'll get alot more house for your money compared to Bridgewater, Branchburg, etc.- it'll just typically be older as well.

I always bust my brother's chops because he lives in Branchburg, but their mail is processed through the Somerville Post Office, so he's got the 08876 zip code of Somerville. He gets upset when I address envelopes to him as "Somerville, NJ" instead of "Branchburg, NJ".....lol

Old 01-24-2008, 02:24 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,025,751 times
I like it there. Nice little town, some good restaurants and one of the few places in the area where you can have a little small town life - walking to stores and the library and the station, things like that.
I know a couple of lawyers who live there - above the office really - as there are a lot of law practices in town.

There is only one street - 2nd - which has a couple of problem houses (though there are only around 10 houses on it anyway), which I would avoid living on. An apartment on Main Street would strike me as ideal.

The rest - the Slummerville jibe for instance - is just snobbery, people sometimes feel the need to put others down, especially in order to make themselves feel big, or to convince themselves that overpaying for something was wise. It's a cute town, enjoy it.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 12,453 times
Hello all: I got a new job in NJ and are currently looking to find an apartment in either Somerville, Bridgewater or Clinton. I will be working in Whitehouse Station. I am 25 years old and are looking for a safe, affordable (price range to rent is 700-1000) place with a decent social life.

I would highly appreciate your recommendation about these towns. Thanks a lot.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:37 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,014 times
As far as Somerville goes, stay anywhere from Main Street to north (going up towards 22). Don't go south of Main. That's a general rule of thumb. I'm not saying every part of the other side of Main is bad, that's just the rule I hear from friends that live there.
Somerville has a lot going on in the community and you can always find something to do there. AND there IS really good food there.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:24 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,669,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safra View Post
Hello all: I got a new job in NJ and are currently looking to find an apartment in either Somerville, Bridgewater or Clinton. I will be working in Whitehouse Station. I am 25 years old and are looking for a safe, affordable (price range to rent is 700-1000) place with a decent social life.

I would highly appreciate your recommendation about these towns. Thanks a lot.
Go further west - you'll get more for your rent money. Can you get to work from the train station in Whitehouse? You could go to High Bridge, Lebanon, Annandale, etc. Clinton works if you want to travel by car, but I personally think you lose the train advantage if you go there (because you have to drive to the train anyway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey