Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 05:52 AM

986 posts, read 2,808,340 times

Advertisements

jtm60---all of the above is why we are moving to Tucson in 8 months. I love NJ I have lived here all my life. I just can not afford to live here any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2006, 06:12 AM

10 posts, read 28,406 times
milliebfit-i can totally relate. i have a feeling we are 'short timers' as well.

Old 10-15-2006, 10:55 AM

86 posts, read 275,852 times
Default We Don't!

"Perhaps Panter missed the national survey that showed more people are leaving New Jersey than arriving. Thanks to high taxes, New Jersey has the distinction of being the second highest "outbound" state in the nation."

http://www.app.com:80/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061015/OPINION/610150361/1032

Old 10-15-2006, 11:30 AM
ira

657 posts, read 3,931,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corruptnj View Post
"Perhaps Panter missed the national survey that showed more people are leaving New Jersey than arriving. Thanks to high taxes, New Jersey has the distinction of being the second highest "outbound" state in the nation."

http://www.app.com:80/apps/pbcs.dll/...610150361/1032
Well, that's good, isn't it?? We'll still be the most expensive state in the country but at least we won't be the most densely populated

Old 10-16-2006, 07:47 PM

111 posts, read 516,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
HA! Interesting! In Scranton, we say that there is a "Black Hole" that keeps sucking people back in ten years after they move out! LOL! I guess the same logic applies in NJ too!
Yeah, but in NJ you gotta pay a toll!

Old 10-17-2006, 12:27 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcris View Post
Yeah, but in NJ you gotta pay a toll!
That's Funny!

Old 10-21-2006, 07:50 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Smile Fox Terrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I've been all over the USA, but haven't spent as much time in the Northeast as I have always wanted to.

But I've researched NJ a lot (I'm hoping to move my family the hell out of where we're stuck now real soon)--anyway, I always thought Jersey looked cool. The cities seem to have some grit, but real people, and overall the people seem friendly and fun. And it has some beautiful parts.

From this outsider's perspective, it just looks real nice.

Speaking of which, are people in NJ welcoming to newcomers? Also, is Western NJ considered more "hick"?
FYI, if you are moving to Jersey here's a tip about local nomenclature...there is 'North Jersey' and 'South Jersey' (and little-known Central Jersey, haha). When I read Western NJ I had to stop and think about where that is!

Old 10-21-2006, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,648 times
Exclamation Moving to Tucson?

Well, I hate to burst anyone's bubble. My parents dragged me from Essex County (Nutley) out to Tucson, AZ when I was 16. I am now almost 40, and I still hate living in Tucson. I have just never gotten the opportunity (financially) to move back to Jersey. The summers here are unbearable. It isn't always a DRY HEAT. During monsoon season, it's still 100 degrees AND humid!! It is also becoming more and more like a border town. Fewer people speak English, and drugs and gangs are prevalent! It seems like every night on the news someone's getting murdered. The housing markets have skyrocketed, but the pay scale hasn't kept up. I am now married to a woman whom I love, but has let me know she will NEVER move somewhere where it snows. So returning to Jersey is probably not in the cards for me, but I don't plan on staying in Tucson the rest of my life, either. Oh also, I used to mow lawns and never had allergies growing up in Jersey, now with all the dust and pollen, my allergies are miserable! Just one person's perspective that has spent quite a bit of time in both places.

Old 10-21-2006, 11:41 AM

49 posts, read 276,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
FYI, if you are moving to Jersey here's a tip about local nomenclature...there is 'North Jersey' and 'South Jersey' (and little-known Central Jersey, haha). When I read Western NJ I had to stop and think about where that is!
LOL, just an FYI, those of us in Morris, Sussex and Warren Counties say we're from Northwest Jersey .

Old 10-27-2006, 02:34 PM

13 posts, read 100,287 times
Default both sides

I'm not trying to argue with anyone, but I originally came to this site to find out some info on moving to another state. Not that I hate Jersey (I dont at all) but I just wanted to see what else was out there. You know what I've found out so far? It's an individual process for each person to decide for themselves. I was looking (and still am) for a better quality of life.
I love Jersey for the location, the lack of natural disasters and most of all, the lack of bugs! (I live in Union County for those of you that want to argue about bugs and woods and such.) I hate summers here because of the humidty, but I love the energy and excitement that come along with it. I love having four seasons, each distinct and each loved for some reason. I love jumping on the train and being in the middle of Manhattan in a half hour and then I love coming home. I love driving down the shore on 35 and looking at all the huge houses right on the beach that I will never be able to afford, because it makes me happy just to see them. I love sitting in the house a few times a year and watching the snow fall. I love that it melts within a week. (And even if it doesnt, I dont care.)
I hate the high cost of living, but I deal with it because there is a certain attitude and culture of growing up in Jersey that I wouldnt want to be without. No one likes high property taxes, but if you dont like it, you move somewhere cheaper or find a way to make more money. I hate the traffic of 1 & 9, but again, I deal with it because I'd rather that than sitting behind some slow senior citizen who doesnt go over 40 MPH.
It's all what you are willing to deal with and what's important to you. No one can decide that for you. Now I agree, if you want to know if it rains a lot or a place has a lot in "creepy crawlies," this would be the place to find out. But when I ask someone, I also check if they mind that. If it's not a big deal to them, they arent going to make it sound like a big deal. If someone hates snow and asks me if it snows a lot here or it's cold for most of the year, my answer would be no, because neither of those things bother me and I hardly notice them.
Ok, I'm done. Just my two cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey