Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2012, 12:05 PM

2 posts, read 16,541 times

Advertisements

Hello Friends,

I am in the process of relocating to New Jersey from Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. I would appreciate any suggestions on Muslim neighborhood in new jersey with mosque,halal meat & easy/moderate public transportation to Manhattan. I believe Paterson,NJ is a good choice for Muslims but I heard Paterson has 60% African American Demography with high crime rate is that true?? Any feedback (zip code) is extremely appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:11 PM

271 posts, read 1,018,984 times
Jersey City has huge muslim population. It has lot of mosques and very good public transport to NYC.
Also North Arlington & Piscataway have some very Muslim neighborhoods.

I've seen some mosques in South Brunswick too.

Paterson has a lot of African American Muslim population but Paterson is also a very high crime area and you will be better off in other towns mentioned above.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:37 PM

208 posts, read 545,040 times
I'm assuming that you are Sunni--if that is the case, there is also a large mosque in South Brunswick as re_alvz mentioned (The Islamic Center of Central Jersey). There is a butcher that sells halal meat nearby on Adams Lane (or Aaron Ln, not 100% sure), it's on the same small strip mall as the Istanbul Restaurant. I believe most of the congregation is Egyptian, with some Turks in the mix. Jersey City might be a better choice though, given its proximity to NYC. Paterson is fantastic if you'd like to dine out, with good Turkish and Syrian restaurants, but not sure if you'd like to live there. Good luck, ma`s-salaama.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:40 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by re_alvz View Post
Jersey City has huge muslim population. It has lot of mosques and very good public transport to NYC.
Also North Arlington & Piscataway have some very Muslim neighborhoods.

I've seen some mosques in South Brunswick too.

Paterson has a lot of African American Muslim population but Paterson is also a very high crime area and you will be better off in other towns mentioned above.
The bulk of Paterson's Muslim population are Palestinians, but there are people from other countries there, too. Most of them are located in South Paterson, in the Getty Avenue area near the farmer's market.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:31 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,074,430 times
Paterson actually is more Hispanic than black nowadays.

Jersey City has a decent muslim population

Old 06-20-2012, 09:21 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,446,085 times
Paterson is very diverse but there are a lot of Muslims.

the Blacks in Paterson are mainly in the fourth ward and places like that.

The Arabs are in South Paterson, Which is mostly Arab and Hispanic.

the best thing about living in South Paterson is that it is walking distance to everything..halal meats, mosques, etc. unlike other places in NJ with significant Muslim populations.

Paterson's Muslim population is even diverse. The Bangladeshis are in the Union Avenue section and they have their own mosque.

P.S. Paterson is about 28% black nowadays.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:25 PM

2 posts, read 16,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Paterson is very diverse but there are a lot of Muslims.

the Blacks in Paterson are mainly in the fourth ward and places like that.

The Arabs are in South Paterson, Which is mostly Arab and Hispanic.

the best thing about living in South Paterson is that it is walking distance to everything..halal meats, mosques, etc. unlike other places in NJ with significant Muslim populations.

Paterson's Muslim population is even diverse. The Bangladeshis are in the Union Avenue section and they have their own mosque.

P.S. Paterson is about 28% black nowadays.
Thanks a bunch for the reply. Do you know the zip code(s) of south Paterson where black population & crime rate is lower!!

Thanks.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:32 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,446,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco_qa View Post
Thanks a bunch for the reply. Do you know the zip code(s) of south Paterson where black population & crime rate is lower!!

Thanks.
It's 07503.

But just a question I could understand not wanting to live in a high crime area but is living with a lot of African Americans a problem? If so why?

Old 05-26-2013, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 7,411 times
You people are racists! And you expect us to respect YOUR culture?? Hah!

Old 05-26-2013, 08:30 PM

908 posts, read 1,554,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fido View Post
You people are racists! And you expect us to respect YOUR culture?? Hah!
LOL, you clearly can't spot a troll. This is the OP's ONLY post. Also, if the OP knew enough to know Paterson had a big Muslim population, halal markets & other businesses Muslims may frequent, don't you think he could have gotten information on the demographics of the place? His post sounds fishy from that, but especially for mentioning a clear disdain for living around African Americans. Anyone who KNOWS REAL Muslims, not the bogey man on TV, or the racist, nationalist pseudo Muslims ran by Farrakhan, or as my husband's African American Muslim friend calls him, "FarraCONARTIST", knows that racism is strictly prohibited in Islam. Its the reason why the majority of American converts to Islam are African American. Racism & bigotry angers me too, but you don't fight it with the like. Being selective in your fight against hate, is not very noble, especially when its fueled by ignorance & misinformation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey