Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2012, 06:36 AM

49 posts, read 214,545 times

Advertisements

Red Bank schools get criticized here a lot. People seem to like going to the town for a night out, and then leaving/returning to their "better" hometown.

How accurate is that (the perception of the town)?

People recommend surrounding towns, but I prefer some diversity (socio-economic, ethnic) for my children.

But at the same time, I don't want to lose $$$ over time if we buy a home there.

Is Red Bank similar to Freehold Borough, in terms of changing demographics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 06:51 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,635 times
I don't know much about the schools, however, Red Bank is beautiful. And, it's very trendy with lots of restaurants, boutiques, artsy things to do - it has something for everyone ... LOVE it. But, it's VERY expensive. My friend's relative lives in Freehold, and sends her kids to private school -

Old 09-29-2012, 07:08 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew in Jersey View Post
Red Bank schools get criticized here a lot. People seem to like going to the town for a night out, and then leaving/returning to their "better" hometown.

How accurate is that (the perception of the town)?

People recommend surrounding towns, but I prefer some diversity (socio-economic, ethnic) for my children.

But at the same time, I don't want to lose $$$ over time if we buy a home there.

Is Red Bank similar to Freehold Borough, in terms of changing demographics?
I live in the area, although my daughter was no longer school age when I moved down here. I have never heard that Red Bank schools are supposed to be bad.

It's the kind of town where there are some very expensive areas and there is a poorer area on the one end, with a lot of Mexican immigrants and probably some people in between. (I sometimes volunteer at Lunch Break, a soup kitchen/food pantry place that provides other services like clothing, toys, etc., on that end of town. It's not so terrible there that you'd be afraid to drive through or anything, though! Perhaps schools with non-white children are being referred to as bad? I don't know, just putting that out there. I have an African-American coworker who lives in Red Bank with his wife and five kids. He's not poor though--he has a pretty good job in the finance area, so he would be sort of middle class.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:43 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,126,646 times
This is funny to me since I grew up in the Red Bank area from the early 80's . . .back when the west side of Red Bank was actually bad and when half the downtown storefronts were vacant . . . I moved away in the early 90's, moved back in the late 90s, left a few years later and still go back to visit family a few times a year.

I have cousins who went to RBR (went to Shrewsbury for K-8), friends who went to Red Bank public schools K-12 and they all got a great education, went on to college and turned out to be successful adults. I'd go so far as to say that my cousins who went to RBR are far more well-rounded as adults than my cousins who went to RBC.

Red Bank is far better now than it was 15 years ago and even back then the worst anyone could say about RBR was that it was mediocre. Put it this way . . . if you're into the whole school ranking thing, the HSPA scores for the top 16 schools in the state are all at the max of 200. Last year's score for my alma mater, Shore Regional (ranked 108 in the state) is 182.5. Red Bank Regional is ranked 135 and comes in at 179 on the tests.

Woodrow Wilson in Camden, ranked as the worst in the state (381) comes in with a score of 47.8

I realize i'm talking about high schools here but the point remains the same, there's really not much difference between a school ranked at 1 and a school at 50. "Bad" in this context is just hyperbole.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:33 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,496 times
I'd prefer 100% to live IN Red Bank. My girlfriend went to RBR and it's not by any stretch a "bad" or even mediocre school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey