Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2012, 08:33 PM

3 posts, read 6,132 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am a recent college graduate who will be moving from Boston MA are to Central/North Jersey for a newly acquired job. The job will mainly be in the piscataway, somerset area for the next few years. I found a place in Somerville, NJ right on the Main st which I hear is on the up and up. My question is, is this a good place for a young adult (approx 23, m) to meet new people? Is anyone familiar with the local bar scene? Any suggestion on good bars with friendly people?

Thanks for all the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 07:11 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Somerville is definitely a town on the way up, after many years of decline.
The new Arts District initiative will, IMHO, lead to a new influx of creative young folks, and once the luxury high-rise condos adjacent to the Shop-Rite are completed, there will be a presence of people with higher income. It is now a genuine restaurant destination town, and the activity on Main Street on Friday and Saturday nights is wonderful to see. All of this spells a brighter future for Somerville.

However, there is not really a "bar scene" for younger folks...at least not yet.
But...New Brunswick is not very far away, and if you venture to NB at night--especially on a weekend--you will find a lot of what you are seeking. Hopefully you have a car, because getting from Somerville to New Brunswick is not very convenient via public transportation.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:12 AM

901 posts, read 2,249,180 times
It's a lame bar/nightlife scene

Old 08-26-2012, 07:17 AM

67 posts, read 91,946 times
Hi I work in Somerville & although it's on the up & up it's kind of a more family environment to me than somewhere I would consider if I were younger. There are a few places to go afterwork in the downtown so I guess it depends on what type of nightlife your into. There is a good place called Scampi's that opens later in the afternoon, a good amount of Japanese & Thai places. A greek restaurant just opened up about a year ago ¤ a really good mexican restaurant opened about 3 months ago. They are building some new condos next to the new Shoprite which are coming along nicely. I think they may be done sometime near the spring. The town blocked off Division st which separates the downtown from the main st & on wednesday nights they play movies in the block off for the town. Last week they showed the Goonies. Its a nice town & they are lots of young professionals moving in & I think it's a good choice overall, but it all depends on what you want in the end. Hope this helps

Old 08-26-2012, 09:21 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
I wanted to add the following info that I failed to mention in my earlier post:

There is a cigar bar on Division Street, in the new Arts District. If you can tolerate the atmosphere (literally), this may have some appeal for you. Additionally, there is going to be a new coffee house opening very soon on Division Street. In many areas, coffee houses are a good alternative to bars for socializing with your peers.

But...New Brunswick offers much more in the way of entertainment for young folks than Somerville does. Somerville's big advantage is a crime rate that is far lower than that of New Brunswick, so I think that living in Somerville and socializing in New Brunswick is a good compromise.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:04 AM

81 posts, read 184,899 times
One thing New Brunswick does have is a large number of college kids. Also, young people who recently graduated. So, meeting people shouldn't be a problem.

Somerville is a bit of a drive from New Brunswick. NJ DUI laws are strict. You should keep this in mind. State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey