Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 07:42 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
<-----(I wouldn't be so quick to make this statement)

I'll tell you what everyone DOESN'T want: HE machines with inches amount of water that clothes don't get wet, consequently they don't get cleaned, mold, mildew, clothes spun so fast that when the cycle is done they're tied into knots, holes in clothes, torn clothes, computer motherboards that break within 3 yrs costing as much to repair as buying a new machine, computers ill-sensing out of balance loads so you have to sit there & babysit the machine by constantly re-arranging the load, vibrations, leaks/floods, washers that explode damaging your laundry room..........that's what they DON'T want. What they do want is a machine that's well built, will wash & clean their clothes, is reliable & will give them 20+ yrs of service for the money they've spent. Most laundry rms are not in view of the main living quarters of a house, some people don't have laundry rms so their washers/dryers are in the basement so who cares how fancy it looks cause who's going to see it other than the residents?

Final words on this subject then I'm done. Anyone who's in the market to buy electronics or appliances better do their homework 1st, check customer reviews from independent websites, youtube is a excellent source since you view the video of the person's complaints/praises. Don't be fooled thinking name brands = quality, so not true anymore, & don't be fooled by flashy & expensive looking (and costing) products. Most of all always remember "All that glitters is not gold"!

The end.
my HE front loader has a gentle "toss" cycle that runs right after the high speed spin cycle to untangle the clothes. my clothes get plenty wet. the amount of water used is plenty, given the design and they way the clothes spin through the water. The HE front loaders are also gentler on clothes than old top loaders with an "agitator". Holes? torn? i've never experienced that. I've never had to babysit my machine. put a level on top of yours, and if it's not level, make sure to adjust the feet of it.

yes, do research. Consumer Reports is a great tool. Amazon.com reviews are also very helpful, I find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 09:57 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:

I'll tell you what everyone DOESN'T want: HE machines with inches amount of water that clothes don't get wet, consequently they don't get cleaned, mold, mildew, clothes spun so fast that when the cycle is done they're tied into knots, holes in clothes, torn clothes, computer motherboards that break within 3 yrs costing as much to repair as buying a new machine, computers ill-sensing out of balance loads so you have to sit there & babysit the machine by constantly re-arranging the load, vibrations, leaks/floods, washers that explode damaging your laundry room..........that's what they DON'T want. What they do want is a machine that's well built, will wash & clean their clothes, is reliable & will give them 20+ yrs of service for the money they've spent. Most laundry rms are not in view of the main living quarters of a house, some people don't have laundry rms so their washers/dryers are in the basement so who cares how fancy it looks cause who's going to see it other than the residents?

Final words on this subject then I'm done. Anyone who's in the market to buy electronics or appliances better do their homework 1st, check customer reviews from independent websites, youtube is a excellent source since you view the video of the person's complaints/praises. Don't be fooled thinking name brands = quality, so not true anymore, & don't be fooled by flashy & expensive looking (and costing) products. Most of all always remember "All that glitters is not gold"!

The end.
I prefer the actual Shakespeare quote: "All that glisters is not gold", from the Merchant of Venice. Heh heh heh. Yours is the more modern and common derivative.

I have a front-loading HE machine and it doesn't do any of the things you warn about. My clothes are clean, not in knots, get wet just fine, and after three years I've never once had to babysit the machine because it got off balance. I'm happy with it.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:41 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:

The end.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:37 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I prefer the actual Shakespeare quote: "All that glisters is not gold", from the Merchant of Venice. Heh heh heh. Yours is the more modern and common derivative.
You are correct that, "glitters", is the modern interpretation of Shakespeare's original word ("glisters") in that sentence. However, it is entirely possible that his original intent was misinterpreted, and that Shakespeare was resorting to a pun...as he was known to do.

To what am I referring?
I am referring to the archaic practice of tobacco smoke enemas (yes, REALLY!), which were popular with the affluent of Shakespeare's time, but were already being viewed by some as quackery. These tobacco smoke enemas were known as Glysters or Glisters!

Just recently, I read a short book, They Got It Wrong: Science, which talks about this strange practice.
Some quick online research yielded the following information on this topic:

Clyster (/ˈklɪstə(r)/), also spelled glister, comes from Greek κλυστήρ (klystḗr), from κλύζω (klýzo), "(I)wash". It is an archaic word for enema, more particularly for enemas administered using a clyster syringe.

Clysters were a favorite medical treatment in the bourgeoisie and nobility of the Western world up to the 19th century. As medical knowledge was fairly limited at the time, purgative clysters were used for a wide variety of ailments, the foremost of which were stomach aches and constipation. Molière, in several of his plays, introduces characters of incompetent physicians and apothecaries fond of prescribing this remedy, also discussed by Argan, the hypochondriac patient of Le Malade Imaginaire. More generally, clysters were a theme in the burlesque comedies of that time.

So, Shakespeare's, "All that glisters is not gold", may, in fact, have been a sarcastic reference to a questionable medical practice of that period!

Old 06-15-2013, 07:48 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
You are correct that, "glitters", is the modern interpretation of Shakespeare's original word ("glisters") in that sentence. However, it is entirely possible that his original intent was misinterpreted, and that Shakespeare was resorting to a pun...as he was known to do.

To what am I referring?
I am referring to the archaic practice of tobacco smoke enemas (yes, REALLY!), which were popular with the affluent of Shakespeare's time, but were already being viewed by some as quackery. These tobacco smoke enemas were known as Glysters or Glisters!

Just recently, I read a short book, They Got It Wrong: Science, which talks about this strange practice.
Some quick online research yielded the following information on this topic:

Clyster (/ˈklɪstə(r)/), also spelled glister, comes from Greek κλυστήρ (klystḗr), from κλύζω (klýzo), "(I)wash". It is an archaic word for enema, more particularly for enemas administered using a clyster syringe.

Clysters were a favorite medical treatment in the bourgeoisie and nobility of the Western world up to the 19th century. As medical knowledge was fairly limited at the time, purgative clysters were used for a wide variety of ailments, the foremost of which were stomach aches and constipation. Molière, in several of his plays, introduces characters of incompetent physicians and apothecaries fond of prescribing this remedy, also discussed by Argan, the hypochondriac patient of Le Malade Imaginaire. More generally, clysters were a theme in the burlesque comedies of that time.

So, Shakespeare's, "All that glisters is not gold", may, in fact, have been a sarcastic reference to a questionable medical practice of that period!

Interesting! Thanks, Retriever. Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, "Blowing smoke up your ass."

Old 07-15-2013, 09:09 PM

677 posts, read 934,287 times
Gee I had forgotten about this topic until someone rep'd me. Judging from the post from all those who are perfectly happy with their HE & front load washers well I'm happy for you, but all of you have said you've owned your machines for 3 yrs or less well that seems to be the lifespan so keep your fingers crossed. Also if you think I don't know what I'm talking about then check online reviews for yourself. Someone mentioned Consumer Reports well they have no creditability since they've recommended many brands & models of washers/dryers that have given consumers the most hell. Instead check consumeraffairs.com, youtube, Amazon, the Better Business Bureau, my3cents.com & put the name of the mfg in their cursor & see what pops up, or just goggle "complaints whirlpool washers" or whatever brand & see how many websites pop up. Now when my washer & dryer fail I'll be buying a set from Speed Queen cause they're made in the USA & customers have nothing put praise for their durability, I will never buy a HE machine or any that are run by cheap computers. Good luck to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey