Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 02:54 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,018,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I agree... it was the fastest growing county during the last housing boom but new const. has slowed down tremedously. The Highland's act should help with keeping Warren green and open. Most Twps. by me now have a 5 acre min. - some as high as 10 acres.
That's good to hear. I think Northwestern NJ (Sussex, Warren, Hunterdon, and western Morris) is the nicest and most scenic part of our state! I like it better than the shore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 08:44 PM

42 posts, read 137,329 times
Long Branch and Asbury Park have lots of potential and have seen a lot of revival (Long Branch more). Also, Harrison has seen improvement but still not spectacular. And I agree about Bayonne being good too.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:48 AM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Yeah, MOTBY (known now as The Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor) will be the next Battery Park City. Lots of everything over a huge area that will take decades to build out. There's even a plan for a streetcar to connect the peninsula developments to the HBLR. There's info about it on the BLRA website Bayonne Local Redevelopment Authority - Bayonne, NJ
There's an article here (http://www.panynj.gov/AboutthePortAuthority/PressCenter/PressReleases/PressRelease/index.php?id=1046 - broken link) that I found back in March about part of it being redeveloped. My interest was because my husband works out of it.

Quote:
The addition of 119 acres on the eastern end of the Port Jersey peninsula for the potential redevelopment of new cargo container space. The property was added by purchasing the remaining years on Northeast Auto Terminal‘s auto processing facility lease with the Port Authority. The land addition, coupled with New Jersey’s current project to deepen the Port Jersey Channel to 50 feet, will allow many of the world’s largest ships to serve it when the channel is deepened in 2012.
As of today, months later, we still have no clue where my hubby will be working. We have no clue where people that he works with will be working or if they will. There are only so many ports that ships can come into.

Reading the page you linked, to see that housing is going in is funny, especially with the housing market the way it is. So here, they are going to take away jobs for housing that just might not sell. Nice.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:13 AM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
I know, I know, nobody has a crystal ball -- but I wanted to get some ideas from people as to where they felt the "next Hoboken" or "next Jersey City/Newport" is.

What are some of the up and coming, hot towns/cities/etc.? With ferry's becoming more common, what's going on throughout Monmouth and Ocean Counties? I remember years ago Marlboro was a boomtown.

So, in your opinion, what are some of the towns, areas, etc. that are next to take off? Thank you in advance.

Eric
I have to say that Williamstown (Monroe Township) is going to be pretty hot in the next few years. While it's building up around here, there's a lot more to come. We have so many great places to shop, everything is in a 10 minute drive. Love it down here so far!

Old 08-20-2008, 09:29 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,423,902 times
NJ Top Hot & Upcoming towns:

Hackettstown - All the new latin flavors are spicing up the joint, with centenary college doubling it's attendance in the next 10 years, the downtown area will be the buzz.

Hackensack - it gets a bad rep but IMO undeserving, its population keeps on growing and it is mostly professionals, mark my words, all those folks who wanted to move to Hoboken but got priced out are going to find Hackensack very diserable.

Newton - It gets a bad rep from the peanut gallery over in farblahbuster but the town will be THE town to go/see in Sussex county, there's a vibe going on in downtown with its revitalization plans. I say 5 to 10 years to see the full potential.

Rutherford - You can't go wrong with this town, proximity to NYC and all the sports venues is a Big ++. It gets a bit of a bad rep because of the taxes, but taxes are just a part of life everywhere in NJ. its cute downtown is going thru a change at the moment, but nothing that can't be fixed with a couple new restaurants & good stores.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:37 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,613,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
NJ Top Hot & Upcoming towns:

Hackettstown - All the new latin flavors are spicing up the joint, with centenary college doubling it's attendance in the next 10 years, the downtown area will be the buzz.

Hackensack - it gets a bad rep but IMO undeserving, its population keeps on growing and it is mostly professionals, mark my words, all those folks who wanted to move to Hoboken but got priced out are going to find Hackensack very diserable.

Newton - It gets a bad rep from the peanut gallery over in farblahbuster but the town will be THE town to go/see in Sussex county, there's a vibe going on in downtown with its revitalization plans. I say 5 to 10 years to see the full potential.

Rutherford - You can't go wrong with this town, proximity to NYC and all the sports venues is a Big ++. It gets a bit of a bad rep because of the taxes, but taxes are just a part of life everywhere in NJ. its cute downtown is going thru a change at the moment, but nothing that can't be fixed with a couple new restaurants & good stores.
I agree with you Alex but let me add one more...and I'm sure others will say "WTF"! But I'm going to say that Phillipsburg..within the next 20 yrs. will be a hot spot for young professionals and investors.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
I agree with you Alex but let me add one more...and I'm sure others will say "WTF"! But I'm going to say that Phillipsburg..within the next 20 yrs. will be a hot spot for young professionals and investors.

Well, Phillipsburg has the esthetics & architectural appeal with its old neighborhoods but some people don't have a long term vision of 20 years. my selection was based in a 5 to 10 year plan.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Well, Phillipsburg has the esthetics & architectural appeal with its old neighborhoods but some people don't have a long term vision of 20 years. my selection was based in a 5 to 10 year plan.
Another small town that could have huge potential is Andover Boro! I wonder what it'll be like once the train station opens up?

Old 08-20-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Another small town that could have huge potential is Andover Boro! I wonder what it'll be like once the train station opens up?
You know, I could never understand why Andover & Newton never merged. I think a merger would be very benefitial to both towns.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
You know, I could never understand why Andover & Newton never merged. I think a merger would be very benefitial to both towns.
It would probably have the same effect as when Sears merged with Kmart... Kmart brought down Sear's image. Andover Twp. has some very wealthy areas and I think they would frown on a merger. Would be like Sparta merging with Ogdensburg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey