Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 08:50 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,252,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
3 , one is in the South Ironbound...only 1 I count due to it being during the daytime hrs.... 10-5am overnight hrs , there are carjackings in Manhattan during those hrs and in what i call green areas...
Well, I won't argue with you about where the South Ironbound and North Ironbound meet and whether a neighborhood with carjackings at night is better than a neighborhood with a carjackings during the day, but the map's definition of a green area is the following:

"Green areas are all perfectly fine to anybody.

NOTE: This is all based on how the area is at night."

For the carjacking and robbery victims, obviously the North Ironbound was not perfectly fine. In my opinion very few urban areas in NJ could qualify as a green area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 11:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
So Ferry and Lafayette Street are dangerous what a load of bull? I can't find any car jackings in Newark and the links on that site seem iffy , I don't remember any shootings in the North Ironbound the Star ledger did not print it... The Rest of the crime listed is average city crime....so I would make it a Green.
Yellow means that you would need to keep your eyes open more than in your typical urban area (at night), It doesn't mean it's dangerous.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:11 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Why is some of Orange red?
Orange is really safe,except Central Avenue.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:32 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,198 times
Hello, Jersey people. I don't venture here nearly as much as I do the NYC board, but I'm glad to comment on any feedback. As checkmatechamp13 said, I had the pleasure of helping him with this map and I appreciated that he felt confident to ask me for help. Some responses on this thread:

-The Ironbound stays yellow, no doubt about it. As checkmatechamp13 pointed out, yellow does not mean it's dangerous or the hood, it simply means that generally, it's safe but you still have to keep an eye out at night and the Ironbound definitely fits that category. Discounting the PJs in the neighborhood, there are occasional shootings and as pointed out, robberies and carjackings are not uncommon. I have a few friends who live in the Ironbound who can verify that. The Ironbound is not a dangerous neighborhood by any means, but it certainly is not the same level of safety as Forest Hill.

-The part of Orange that is red is the most dangerous part of Orange with a lot of shootings. That area is also where they knocked down the PJs, from which I heard used to be really wild back then. As far as Orange being really safe, aside from the area shaded yellow, I don't know about all of that especially by the end of last year, the north part of Orange experienced a few shootings in a matter of weeks.

Any more comments, feedback, responses etc. are welcomed.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:35 AM

908 posts, read 1,555,501 times
OK, what streets are considered Forrest Hills? I'm originally from Passaic county, but lived in Essex for 7yrs after I got married. Is Forrest Hill north Newark? Its hard for me to see the map on my screen, that and my glasses are somewhere in this house, where I don't know.
Thanks!

Old 01-12-2013, 10:12 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Why is some of Orange red?
Orange is really safe,except Central Avenue.
There's definitely some stuff going down near the train station (which is orange, but near the red area) after commuting hours. I've been there to pick up my car after having taken another way home and seen people getting arrested on a few occasions.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
OK, what streets are considered Forrest Hills? I'm originally from Passaic county, but lived in Essex for 7yrs after I got married. Is Forrest Hill north Newark? Its hard for me to see the map on my screen, that and my glasses are somewhere in this house, where I don't know.
Thanks!
Yes, Forest Hills is pretty much the northernmost part of Newark. (Basically, west of Mount Prospect until you either hit Branch Brook Park or South Franklin Avenue)

I'd also like to point out that this map is helpful for people in surrounding areas, so they know what part of Newark they're bordering. For instance, South Orange borders Newark, but Upper Vailsburg is one of the safer parts of Newark, so there shouldn't be much of a problem in that area. But you might want to be a little more cautious if you're in a part of Maplewood bordering Irvington.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:35 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
There's definitely some stuff going down near the train station (which is orange, but near the red area) after commuting hours. I've been there to pick up my car after having taken another way home and seen people getting arrested on a few occasions.
I agree with the Red shaded area in Orange. I listen to the police scanner a lot and there always seems to be incidents around Hickory St. From what I've heard that is a known drug area. I think the area west of S. Center St. could be changed from Red to Orange. I have driven through there a number of times and never felt unsafe.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:30 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,341,464 times
Hate to bump but for Downtown Newark the orange should be extended up to Market Street. Same with the area south of Symphony Hall from Chestnut to South St, Broad to Mulberry as there's some HUD housing there. The Penn Station/CBD should be green from Broad St east and from the Prudential Center up to NJPAC. The Springfield Ave corridor between Bergen Street(where there's an Applebees and Cinema) down past Society Hill to MLK by the county courthouse is not red lol. Neither is the Belmont section between Irvine Turner and King, Spruce street up to W Kinney(though the NHA homes along Court could be). There are modern townhomes there(not projects or HUD housing) so it's a worst orange. It ain't red territory till you get to Muhammad Ali Ave and west of Irvine Turner.

For Mt. Vernon Place in Ivy Hill the corridor should be orange. Same with S. Orange Ave(Vailsburg side is more stable than east of the Parkway).

Ferry Street should be green between Penn Station and Wilson Ave as lots of people visit the restaurants well into the night.

For East Orange, Springdale Ave north to Renshaw, and from Glenwood east to N. Arlington should be yellow.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:18 PM

908 posts, read 1,555,501 times
Can one of you guys do one for Monmouth County? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey