Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 08:06 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im not sure its reasonable to suggest my mom's yorkie can kill. yeah, maybe a baby but thats not really worth bringing into the discussion.

a dog is just an animal. i wouldnt want to kill an "innocent" one that would have an owner that would love him/her, but i also dont really care if a particular breed exists or not. i have more of an issue with breeds that have inherrent medical issues like bulldogs. why breed an unhealthy animal? i dont really know enough about the violence of pit bulls to take a strong position banning them. but if they did, i cant imagine caring (as long as they dont kill innocent ones that are alive).
It's a shame that the American Kennel Club allows the breeding of dogs with inherent weaknesses. German Shepherds tend to hip displasia. Great Danes have heart problems. Irish Setters go blind. There are a great number of congenital diseases in dogs. As a matter of fact, the new standard in German Shepherds is that low back quarter that makes the problem even worse. Look at the back problems of Dachshunds. There are probably many more.

Breeding in the US is for superficial reasons and often disregards health. It's a shame.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:19 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
It's a shame that the American Kennel Club allows the breeding of dogs with inherent weaknesses. German Shepherds tend to hip displasia. Great Danes have heart problems. Irish Setters go blind. There are a great number of congenital diseases in dogs. As a matter of fact, the new standard in German Shepherds is that low back quarter that makes the problem even worse. Look at the back problems of Dachshunds. There are probably many more.

Breeding in the US is for superficial reasons and often disregards health. It's a shame.
im glad to see my brilliant point has sparked some agreement by people here. i dont really see many people speaking out against breeding unhealthy breeds and i dont understand why. its funny you mention that the breeding is for "superficial reasons" while these unhealthy dogs like pugs and bulldogs are some of the ugliest dogs available. my masterpiece of a dog is way better looking.

i have a couple of gun safes where you can quickly put in a code to open them up. i think im going to get a fingerprint safe to keep more handy for where my wife spends most of the day. that will give her quicker access when quicker access is needed.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:34 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
And they are breeding them with beagles now, which should be against the damn law!
I had one decades ago.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:42 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Some people are to stupid to own a gun - would you leave a pot of boiling water on a stove with the handle sticking out where a toddler could reach it? NEVER...because you are thoughtful and intelligent. When my kids were toddlers - we child proofed the house. There was a large yard surrounded by a hedge...I took one section that was visible from the kitchen window and fenced it off with child proof fencing that could not be climbed...If I took my kids to the lake to swim..I never took my eyes off of them for even a second...My job was to keep the kids alive..

For a child to be shot in their own home is bizarre. My father in law was a retired drunken cop..We gave him an apartment to live in within our home. He was about to inherit a lot of money that we would benefited by....I found a loaded revolver under his couch cushion...I got rid of the gun and I got rid of him....even though it cost my wife her inheritance...it had to be done...I had my children's safety to consider and my own. If a gun offers even the slightest danger to the family- GET RID OF THE DAMNED THING.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:17 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post

Mutts are hardier and just as smart as purebreds.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:08 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yeah, i agree. check out this magnificent beast. the dog is pretty good looking also.
Your dog is gorgeous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
Those "designer" dogs are nothing more than mutts that they charge people $2000 - $4000 for - it's ridiculous when I see the sales receipt and see what these people pay (and of course now they're too broke to pay for vaccines, flea protection, etc). Just because they come up with a cute name like "Puggle" people are drawn in like flies to you know what. A well bred show quality dog barely costs that and people are paying these prices for puppy mill "pure bred" dogs and mutts! There was a recent sudy done that proved "labradoodles" are just as likely to cause allergies than any other dog too - I LMAO at that one. That was one of the main selling points for that mutt.

Oops - I did it again...

OK, back to the idiot who should be charged with murder for his irresponsibility...
I know a family with a puggle. He's a real character. He really loves people . . . the more the merrier.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:44 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,323,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Some people are to stupid to own a gun - would you leave a pot of boiling water on a stove with the handle sticking out where a toddler could reach it? NEVER...because you are thoughtful and intelligent. When my kids were toddlers - we child proofed the house. There was a large yard surrounded by a hedge...I took one section that was visible from the kitchen window and fenced it off with child proof fencing that could not be climbed...If I took my kids to the lake to swim..I never took my eyes off of them for even a second...My job was to keep the kids alive..

For a child to be shot in their own home is bizarre. My father in law was a retired drunken cop..We gave him an apartment to live in within our home. He was about to inherit a lot of money that we would benefited by....I found a loaded revolver under his couch cushion...I got rid of the gun and I got rid of him....even though it cost my wife her inheritance...it had to be done...I had my children's safety to consider and my own. If a gun offers even the slightest danger to the family- GET RID OF THE DAMNED THING.
I did the same thing with my GF's pitbull. The animal was like a loaded gun being left unattended around the house. Got rid of that very dangerous animal. I saw one of those dogs attack a child. It was sick. No one could get the dog off the child. He was mauling the child, the screams were awful and I just wondered why own a thing that was breed to kill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey