Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 08:02 PM

6 posts, read 19,145 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Westfield but I am thinking about moving to Basking Ridge. I commute to midtown (NYC) and it seems that the difference in commute would be a minor factor for me (+10 min. or so from Basking Ridge as compared to Westfield). From what I can tell it seems that Basking Ridge and Westfield offer a similar quality public school system, that you might be able to get more for your money (as far as acreage and house size) in Basking Ridge than Westfield, that Westfield has a bigger downtown but that the downtown is more congested and the neighborhoods are more congested as well (with Basking Ridge being more rural). Does anyone have an opinion of Westfield vs. Basking Ridge? I am focusing on both towns as far as quality of life and family living as I have young children (less than 2 years old) that I would like to raise in nice, family-friendly town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 10:51 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,452,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42blast View Post
I currently live in Westfield but I am thinking about moving to Basking Ridge. I commute to midtown (NYC) and it seems that the difference in commute would be a minor factor for me (+10 min. or so from Basking Ridge as compared to Westfield). From what I can tell it seems that Basking Ridge and Westfield offer a similar quality public school system, that you might be able to get more for your money (as far as acreage and house size) in Basking Ridge than Westfield, that Westfield has a bigger downtown but that the downtown is more congested and the neighborhoods are more congested as well (with Basking Ridge being more rural). Does anyone have an opinion of Westfield vs. Basking Ridge? I am focusing on both towns as far as quality of life and family living as I have young children (less than 2 years old) that I would like to raise in nice, family-friendly town.
There are significant differences between the two towns. As you have already noticed, Westfield is much more urban, and BR is suburban/rural. While both towns have walkable down town areas, Westfields is much larger. Though in BR you are only 10/15 min from Morristown or Summit and all they have to offer, which is pretty much the time it would take you to travel across Westfield to reach a particular activity. While I would in no way consider Westfield to be unsafe, when comparing the crime rates of the two towns, WF's is noticably higher than BR. I do not live in BR, but close by and I cannot remember the last time I heard about any muggings or violent crime in BR. BR's crime rate is extremely low, and any crime is usually home or car break ins, or petty vandalism (Like firecrackers in a mailbox, or someone TP'd and shaving creamed a home.) Although pretty rare, every year there are rapes, muggings and assaults reported in Westfield.

Another significant difference is in property taxes. The effective tax rate in Westfield is 2.036, in Bernards Twp (Basking Ridge is a section of Bernards Twp.) is 1.850

There is also a big difference in the NYC commute. Last I heard, earlier this year, there is still no direct access to NY Penn Station, via the train from Westfield. You must transfer trains, which IMHO is a bit of a PITA. There is talk about this changing, and midtown direct access coming to the RVL, but nothing is firm at this time, AFAIK. Raritan Valley Rail Coalition Inches Closer to its Goal of a Direct Train from Westfield to NYC - Westfield NJ News - The Alternative Press Basking Ridge on the other hand is on the midtown direct line, so you have a single seat commute.

Basking Ridge's schools are top notch, for as long as I can remember they have consistently ranked among the top ten in the state in the NJ monthly HS rankings, while WF has been consistently ranked a bit lower, this year BR is ranked 9 and WF is 49th. BR was ranked 200 on US News report on the top HS in the nation, WF was 306, this list included magnet schools. Note, I am in no way saying that WF's schools are bad, they are good.

There is a big disparity in the feel/vibe of the two towns. You have a more urban feel in WF, and in BR you'll find more of a Mayberry RFD small town quietness and feel. I'd strongly recommend you spending some time in each community to see which feel better and is more suited for your family. Some like the excitement and hustle/bustle of a larger town, and would find the small town, rural life boring. It really depends on what YOU and your family are looking for.

HTH
KoalaNJ

Old 10-31-2013, 11:17 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,109,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
There is also a big difference in the NYC commute. Last I heard, earlier this year, there is still no direct access to NY Penn Station, via the train from Westfield. You must transfer trains, which IMHO is a bit of a PITA. There is talk about this changing, and midtown direct access coming to the RVL, but nothing is firm at this time, AFAIK. Raritan Valley Rail Coalition Inches Closer to its Goal of a Direct Train from Westfield to NYC - Westfield NJ News - The Alternative Press Basking Ridge on the other hand is on the midtown direct line, so you have a single seat commute.
Just a note, there is no actual possibility of midtown direct service on the RVL during peak hours (when anyone really cares about it) unless new tunnels are built, which is a decade+ out. The tunnels are full otherwise, there is no room to fit RVL trains. They're adding off-peak/weekend service on the RVL, but fundamentally there are no slots for peak service, and they're certainly not going to take trains away from other lines to give the RVL access.

Otherwise I agree with everything you've said as someone with experience with both towns. (I'm from the Green Brook/Warren area). They are both very good towns, but very different towns.

Also, is there any particular reason why you're picking solely between Westfield and Basking Ridge?

The towns in-between are quite similar to BR. Warren, Watchung, Long Hill Twp, Berkeley Heights, New Providence, Summit, Madison, Chatham, are all towns in the same range and which may have other benefits. Some have a better downtown/train access if you want a more Westfield-like feel, some have a lot of space, etc. They've largely all got good or better school systems, low crime, etc.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:31 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post

There is a big disparity in the feel/vibe of the two towns. You have a more urban feel in WF, and in BR you'll find more of a Mayberry RFD small town quietness and feel. I'd strongly recommend you spending some time in each community to see which feel better and is more suited for your family. Some like the excitement and hustle/bustle of a larger town, and would find the small town, rural life boring. It really depends on what YOU and your family are looking for.
Well, I suppose if everyone in Mayberry dressed in Ralph Lauren or Calvin Klein...

Old 11-01-2013, 07:49 AM

19,113 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Well, I suppose if everyone in Mayberry dressed in Ralph Lauren or Calvin Klein...

...and if most of the folks in Mayberry drove Audis and BMWs, instead of pickup trucks with gun racks in the back window.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:09 AM

206 posts, read 532,299 times
They are both great towns, i have experience living i both. Prefer Basking Ridge, but that's because i prefer the more outdoorsy-nature feel and i don't need to go to NYC or Hudson/Essex county very much. You might get slightly more house for your money in Basking Ridge, but it's not a huge difference, it's pretty comparable in my experience - though you can definitely get more acreage in Basking Ridge if having a really big yard is important to you. Agree with much of what Koala said but i would consider schools and crime to be a wash. You're talking about super-low crime in either place, even if there is a tiny bit more in Westfield its still minuscule. Schools are also great in both towns, average SAT scores are virtually identical, both high schools have great reputations with college admissions officers, i definitely would not base your decision on those 2 variables. Both towns also offer a ton to families with young kids - recreation programs, ymca's, parks/events, etc. It's a decision based mainly around the trade-off of having a great walkable downtown in Westfield vs the congestion/traffic that comes with it. Westfield is also probably slightly more diverse religiously, while BR is heavily Caucasian with a growing Asian population.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:51 AM

200 posts, read 554,863 times
Pretty much agree with all that has been said above. We lived in Basking Ridge for 5 years, then moved to next town over. Excellent schools and great community feel. Lots of activities, sports and parks for the kids. Two train stations and a bus that goes into NYC.
Downtown Basking Ridge is very quaint, but small. If you love the shopping and restaurants etc that Westfield offers, then you would have to drive to another town to find this. Basking Ridge does have some cute stores and some great restaurants, but only a handful as opposed to Westfield's streets! Bernardsville, which is next door has the larger shops such as Kinds, Shop Rite, Starbucks, Gary's etc.
Basking Ridge is in a great location in that you have easy access to 78 and 287, close to Morristown, hospitals etc. Yet, you are also only minutes away from driving into the 'country', as you drive through Bernardsville into Far Hills and beyond into Tewksbury and Pottersville etc.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:58 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,134 times
Definitely Basking Ridge for the nature feel (where I lived for 18+ years) but Westfield wins over for food, nightlife, downtown area, and closer to EWR and NYC. I feel like Basking Ridge has that horrifying backwoods quality (you know, getting pulled over for "driving while black" still happens) whereas Westfield is a bit more cosmopolitan.

In many ways it's actually a Union County versus Somerset County sort of thing...

Old 11-01-2013, 08:16 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,770,959 times
People need to check the commute times. To get into Penn Station around 8am, Westfield is a 50 minute ride and Basking Ridge is 1 hour 15. That is 25 minutes more. Also BR is $1800/year more for the train

Old 11-02-2013, 07:28 PM

107 posts, read 195,740 times
Those driveways in basking ridge are horrible, being on hills and all, and in the winter. Omg. Lots of people speed on the roadways in basking ridge, making it not that easy for kids to walk around. If you're looking for a more quiet/mellow life and it seems like you are by saying Westfield is congested, then basking ridge would be a better option, although it's transit connectivity to NYC/jobs is more limited when looking at highways as opposed to union county
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey