Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 06:00 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times

Advertisements

Sometimes death stops them. I saw an old friend last year, and we were catching up. She asked if I remembered her cousin, who now lives out in Arizona. Her cousin's son was 24, sending a text while driving, and crossed the line into the path of a truck. He died at the scene. For a text message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 06:32 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,749,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Sometimes death stops them. I saw an old friend last year, and we were catching up. She asked if I remembered her cousin, who now lives out in Arizona. Her cousin's son was 24, sending a text while driving, and crossed the line into the path of a truck. He died at the scene. For a text message.
That sounds like a commercial I saw on TV. Death will definitely stop texting.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:32 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,683,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That's a good idea! There are also apps you can get and put on your kid's cell phones, that prevent the phone from sending or receiving text messages while the car is in motion. The texter gets a message "Sally is driving right now and can't read texts" or something. If I had a teen who started driving, I would definitely put it on their phone. Even kids with otherwise good judgement are often too tempted to look when they get a text. If I were 17 and was waiting for some boy I liked to ask me out, I would probably have looked too so IMO the best way to stop it is preventing them from being able to do it in the first place.

I think it's like a lot of things, in that after you do it a few times and nothing happens, it's human nature to lose your fear of it and come to believe you are capable of doing it safely.
That's awesome! I didn't even know apps like that existed. Like Giants-Ruters said I bet something like that will be automatically downloaded on phones soon.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:33 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,834,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
I had a vehicle in front of me that had a hard time staying in the lines and when I passed, I saw the driver was holding his phone below the top of the steering wheel and texting.

Do you think you'll never get into an accident, because you are a pro at texting while driving?

I'm not for more laws, but what would it take to stop people from texting while driving? It's not safe...stop it. Bigger fines don't work; I would take your vehicle away for 30 days.
Capital punishment?

Old 07-15-2013, 07:29 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,809,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
People will never stop texting, drinking, tailgating, excessive speeding because car crashes only happen to "other people".
And, if you are a New Jersey Transit Bus driver, add up another technique that just might trump them all:
"milking the lizard" on a packed bus during rush hour driving through the Lincoln Tunnel

George Simpson, New Jersey Bus Driver, Accused Of Masturbating Behind The Wheel

I guess hands free devices haven't been invented for this one, yet........

Old 07-15-2013, 07:32 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
It would take common sense.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:37 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
I had a vehicle in front of me that had a hard time staying in the lines and when I passed, I saw the driver was holding his phone below the top of the steering wheel and texting.

Do you think you'll never get into an accident, because you are a pro at texting while driving?

I'm not for more laws, but what would it take to stop people from texting while driving? It's not safe...stop it. Bigger fines don't work; I would take your vehicle away for 30 days.
you would need to cut my fingers off!!

even without fingers, ill find a way!

Old 07-15-2013, 07:38 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

not for a text message. for communication. for knowledge.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:56 PM

15,072 posts, read 10,110,560 times
I see A LOT of bad accidents during my years of daily commuting... A few I had to be actively paying attention to avoid getting involved myself. I hate stupid idiots who don't have enough common sense to think that operating a vehicle should be their one and only task to pay attention.

I know this is probably an evil thing to wish, but each time I see a person texting or not paying attention, I hope for a single car accident. A serious one.

Unfortunately, in this case darwinism it often involves another innocent driver.

No... We don't need new laws. We just need police officers to actively enforce the current ones. This is especially true now that the penalty has been increased. BTW... I have seen Police officers also texting or talking on the cell phone while driving.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:18 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
And, if you are a New Jersey Transit Bus driver, add up another technique that just might trump them all:
"milking the lizard" on a packed bus during rush hour driving through the Lincoln Tunnel

George Simpson, New Jersey Bus Driver, Accused Of Masturbating Behind The Wheel

I guess hands free devices haven't been invented for this one, yet........
I guess that's more rewarding than texting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey