Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 11:34 AM

56 posts, read 108,565 times

Advertisements

Mandatory apps that do not allow texting while driving. I am sure the phone can be rooted to bypass the app, but its a start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 05:18 PM

323 posts, read 575,650 times
the only way to stop texting drinking and driving and talking on the phone is to get rid of the me, myself and I crowd

Old 07-16-2013, 06:08 PM

291 posts, read 977,367 times
I think that stricter enforcement might help. I see lots of people on the roads in the morning texting and using handheld cellphones. But they drive right past the many speed traps I pass, seemingly unnoticed by the police officers who are apparently only looking for speeders. I think that if people got caught once and had to pay hundreds of dollars, or even truly thought there was a good chance they'd get pulled over for this and have to pay $$$, have their license suspended, etc, they'd think twice.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:05 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,749,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjersey View Post
I think that stricter enforcement might help. I see lots of people on the roads in the morning texting and using handheld cellphones. But they drive right past the many speed traps I pass, seemingly unnoticed by the police officers who are apparently only looking for speeders. I think that if people got caught once and had to pay hundreds of dollars, or even truly thought there was a good chance they'd get pulled over for this and have to pay $$$, have their license suspended, etc, they'd think twice.
But why isn't this being enforced? This morning I was behind someone that was texting...I could see him in his side view mirror. There was a yield sign and a line of traffic ahead of us and he let so much time and space between him and the vehicles in front of him, I missed the light that stopped the oncoming traffic and of course he got through. This is my road rage in the making...

Old 07-16-2013, 08:15 PM

291 posts, read 977,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
But why isn't this being enforced? This morning I was behind someone that was texting...I could see him in his side view mirror. There was a yield sign and a line of traffic ahead of us and he let so much time and space between him and the vehicles in front of him, I missed the light that stopped the oncoming traffic and of course he got through. This is my road rage in the making...
I don't know, but I see so many people texting and holding their phones while they drive past multiple police cars/speed traps every single morning during my commute, as well as around town during nights and weekends. A good friend of my family is a municipal court judge in a town near mine and said that he rarely sees tickets for "just" talking/texting. It seems like human nature that if people know they are more likely to be caught and punished, they'd be less likely to engage in that behavior.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:19 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,047,471 times
[quote=PDD;30511992]
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Isn't it obvious?

Take away the device, and charge the idiot using it. Upon conviction the device gets smashed, as does the idiot that was using it, while driving. If they have to spend $400 to replace it, well that is a fitting penalty, I think. Hit them in the pocket book.

By the way, here in Ontario, radar detectors are illegal, and when someone here ( Usually an American visitor ) is caught with one, the cops give you a choice, after they seize it. Do you want to go to court, or would you like to just DRIVE over it, right now ? The court option is a $500 fine, and seizure, and three points on your Provincial license record , for two years. The on the road " instant destruction option " is no court, no fine, and no points. Works really well, for us up here.

Straight to the heart of the problem, eh ?

Jim B

Toronto.[/quote

That is a great way to handle those devices but in the US the ACLU would be on the side of the drivers.
Actually I use my radar detector in Ontario all the time. Of course I spent hundreds to acqure a model that has special circuitry to defeat the Ontario police radar detector detectors. That's right, the Ontario police use a radar detector detector and pull over unwitting motorists who don't know the ropes. However, I utilize a very expensive stealth model that cannot be detected by the Ontario police. It has saved me several times. You have to be careful with your braking. Best to use engine braking so that your brake lights don't give you away. I'm sorry, but I am an American. I do not accept that the Canadian police have a right to destroy private property. I think Canadians are feckless for allowing their ever more collectivist government to usurp their individual rights at every turn. But hey, anything for free diapers, right?

Old 07-16-2013, 08:21 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
Can't be done, unfortunately.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:29 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
^Maybe you should stay out of their country if you don't want to obey their laws. From what I can tell, they have a minute fraction of the problems of what we experience here in the US with all our "freedoms" (which are usually only the freedoms to be an a-hole).

Old 07-16-2013, 08:47 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,047,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
^Maybe you should stay out of their country if you don't want to obey their laws. From what I can tell, they have a minute fraction of the problems of what we experience here in the US with all our "freedoms" (which are usually only the freedoms to be an a-hole).
You don't know what you're talking about. They've got more problems than you can shake a stick at. My Toronto friends tell me constantly about the horrible socialized medicine where mediocrity, long waits, and bad service are business as usual. And take a quick bike ride in downtown Toronto. I ride the street rental bikes all the time. If you don't run over a homeless vagrant in 15 minutes, then I commend you for being an expert rider with unbelievable reflexes.

As for their laws, I obey the vast majority. I will not murder anyone, and the banks are safe. However, I will not allow the Canadian government to tell me what electronics I may utilize in my personal car. Not happening. The same goes for Washington D.C. and Virginia.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:19 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,454,397 times
Marc:

I guess you missed the big signs, at EACH border crossing point, going into Ontario that says.... Radar Detectors are illegal in Ontario, and are subject to seizure and fines.

How typically "American " of you to think that YOU can selectively ignore our laws, while in our country.

The myth of the Ugly American lives on, and its YOU.

Oh and by the way, tell us the name of the bike rental company in Toronto, so we will know that you aren't just blowing smoke. Come on, you can do it.

Jim B

Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey