Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 11:42 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,245,407 times

Advertisements

You got it all wrong, driving the speed limit in the fast lane is the cause of all problems.
Using a cell phone in the fast lane is darn near a hate crime if it slows down someone doing 20 over.

Darwinian selection will reduce or eliminate the dumb drivers with some acceptable colateral damage.

Allow big rigs in the fast lane and assign texters to the slow lane with lots of entering and exiting traffic to make them pay attention or cut short their irresponsible behavior.

Apparently texting causes more deaths than accidental discharge of firearms.

The basic problem is not cell phones, it is the callous disregard for other peoples' safety.

How do you legislate that?

Impossible to legislate stupidity and it a bridge too far using ineffective feel good laws.

cops might carry a blender that grinds hand held electronic devices into a fine slurry...along with the drivers choice of adding their right or left ear to the mx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 12:53 PM

18,472 posts, read 15,262,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Marc:

I guess you missed the big signs, at EACH border crossing point, going into Ontario that says.... Radar Detectors are illegal in Ontario, and are subject to seizure and fines.

How typically "American " of you to think that YOU can selectively ignore our laws, while in our country.

The myth of the Ugly American lives on, and its YOU.

Oh and by the way, tell us the name of the bike rental company in Toronto, so we will know that you aren't just blowing smoke. Come on, you can do it.

Jim B

Toronto.
That would prove nothing. He can always do a google search. See...

http://https://www.google.com/search?q=toronto+bike+rental&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

Old 07-17-2013, 02:40 PM

50,828 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjersey View Post
I don't know, but I see so many people texting and holding their phones while they drive past multiple police cars/speed traps every single morning during my commute, as well as around town during nights and weekends. A good friend of my family is a municipal court judge in a town near mine and said that he rarely sees tickets for "just" talking/texting. It seems like human nature that if people know they are more likely to be caught and punished, they'd be less likely to engage in that behavior.
Right. People did not stop drinking and driving until the laws became as strict as they are. Heck, my friends and I used to drive after being in the clubs all night all the time back in the 80's. Now I would be afraid to have even a couple glasses of wine over dinner and drive. It didn't seem like a big deal then because back then law enforcement didn't seem to treat is as a big deal. I would bet that if they treated it the same as drunk driving (as stats bear out it is even more dangerous) with mandatory loss of license, people would stop doing it.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Right. People did not stop drinking and driving until the laws became as strict as they are. Heck, my friends and I used to drive after being in the clubs all night all the time back in the 80's. Now I would be afraid to have even a couple glasses of wine over dinner and drive. It didn't seem like a big deal then because back then law enforcement didn't seem to treat is as a big deal. I would bet that if they treated it the same as drunk driving (as stats bear out it is even more dangerous) with mandatory loss of license, people would stop doing it.
I know. In the 80s I was more afraid of being busted for under aged drinking at a party than I was about getting a DWI. I'm amazed I am still alive.

I was watching an old movie from the 50s, and a guy got pulled over for swerving back and forth. He was drunk, but instead of going to jail, the cops gave him a ride home, and laid him down on his couch.

The point is, times change. Make stricter punishments, and enforce the law and you will go a long way towards alleviating the problem. You will never eliminate it completely any more than you will eliminate drunk driving, but you start taking away texter's driver's licenses for 6 months and you will see a big decline in this habit.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:05 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,048,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Marc:

I guess you missed the big signs, at EACH border crossing point, going into Ontario that says.... Radar Detectors are illegal in Ontario, and are subject to seizure and fines.

How typically "American " of you to think that YOU can selectively ignore our laws, while in our country.

The myth of the Ugly American lives on, and its YOU.

Oh and by the way, tell us the name of the bike rental company in Toronto, so we will know that you aren't just blowing smoke. Come on, you can do it.

Jim B

Toronto.
BIXI bikes of course! And that's what they are called, not bikes, but BIXI bikes. And they are all the exact same model and are set up for girls without the crossbar. So put that in your pipe and smoke it. Very uncomfortable little things but I'm not going to take my 10 speed with me to Canada. Pretty cool though. Just swipe your credit card and you can rent the bike and go on a 1 way tour somewhere then take the subway back to the hotel.

I don't care about the signs. My car is my world, and I do not allow the state to tell me what I can own in my world. And it's not an ugly American thing because the situation is similar in Washington D.C. and Virginia. I'm actually a very polite American, and Canadian citizens are ridiculously friendly for the most part. No harm, though. I rarely speed in Canada because I'm usually having a good time and driving slowly. But if I need to speed, I have the capability. Ontario traffic cops just need to know that they are overmatched if they take me on. As long as they are respectful and courteous public servants who stay out of my car, all will be well.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I know. In the 80s I was more afraid of being busted for under aged drinking at a party than I was about getting a DWI. I'm amazed I am still alive.

I was watching an old movie from the 50s, and a guy got pulled over for swerving back and forth. He was drunk, but instead of going to jail, the cops gave him a ride home, and laid him down on his couch.

The point is, times change. Make stricter punishments, and enforce the law and you will go a long way towards alleviating the problem. You will never eliminate it completely any more than you will eliminate drunk driving, but you start taking away texter's driver's licenses for 6 months and you will see a big decline in this habit.
That's funny! Did they help him into his jammies, too?

Old 07-17-2013, 03:46 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,396,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post

While I am not against severe punishment for DWI or Texting I just don't believe suspending somebody's driver license is a deterrent to braking the law.

Everyday thousands of people are driving with suspended driving privileges because they have to get to their jobs.

IMO hit them in the pocketbook where it really hurts. Like a $500 fine for first time offenders and double the fine for the next offense and so on.
Texters can only afford so much in fines. If they can't afford the fine than garnish their wages or take it out of their SS or any govt. assistance they might get.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
While I am not against severe punishment for DWI or Texting I just don't believe suspending somebody's driver license is a deterrent to braking the law.

Everyday thousands of people are driving with suspended driving privileges because they have to get to their jobs.

IMO hit them in the pocketbook where it really hurts. Like a $500 fine for first time offenders and double the fine for the next offense and so on.
Texters can only afford so much in fines. If they can't afford the fine than garnish their wages or take it out of their SS or any govt. assistance they might get.
You could do both. A large fine, in and of itself, is only a deterrent to people who aren't rich. That segment of the population is more threatened by a loss of driving privileges.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post

I had TWO friends get caught doing this, driving on suspended license, it is not as easy as it seems to get away with. They both had their license loss extended, and had to report to jail every weekend to go out in the orange jumpsuits picking up trash for a few months

Old 07-17-2013, 07:03 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,396,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I had TWO friends get caught doing this, driving on suspended license, it is not as easy as it seems to get away with. They both had their license loss extended, and had to report to jail every weekend to go out in the orange jumpsuits picking up trash for a few months
So their loss of driving privileges did not stop them from driving did it?

I had a former brother in law who never stopped driving even though his license was suspended three times. His excuse was that was the only way to get to the bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey