Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 08:23 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,749,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you would need to cut my fingers off!!

even without fingers, ill find a way!
I know you wouldn't put your kid's life at risk...i don't believe you would text.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 08:24 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
And, if you are a New Jersey Transit Bus driver, add up another technique that just might trump them all:
"milking the lizard" on a packed bus during rush hour driving through the Lincoln Tunnel

George Simpson, New Jersey Bus Driver, Accused Of Masturbating Behind The Wheel

I guess hands free devices haven't been invented for this one, yet........
milking the lizard???? that's a little bit too close to a phrase that I use that I derived from a phrase in the movie "no holds barred." I refer to "draining the lizard" when im talking about peeing.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:26 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
I know you wouldn't put your kid's life at risk...i don't believe you would text.
im not really a big fan of texting. if I do text, its always very short yes or no type stuff. I sometimes read news during heavy traffic. that wouldn't amount to more than a very low speed collision if I messed up.

I rarely drive with my daughter in the car. my wife does the weekend driving.

when it comes to texting and driving and what I see; they are usually the people driving too slow. id be curious to know actual statistics on crashes. that stuff that says "texting and driving is 21 times more dangerous than drinking and driving" I believe are fraudulent.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:16 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,967,533 times
There has to be a sea change with regards to cell phone/social networking culture. It's considered "rude" now if you don't immediately respond to a text, or every Tweet and Facebook post. People give you the third degree if you don't pick up their call. Or if you don't return their call right away. Even being on the toilet or in the shower is no longer a reasonable excuse for not picking up or texting back right away. Why would driving be any different? And I'm talking about 30, 40 and 50 year-olds, so I can only imagine a teenager's or a 20 something's mentality.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:27 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
I had a vehicle in front of me that had a hard time staying in the lines and when I passed, I saw the driver was holding his phone below the top of the steering wheel and texting.

Do you think you'll never get into an accident, because you are a pro at texting while driving?

I'm not for more laws, but what would it take to stop people from texting while driving? It's not safe...stop it. Bigger fines don't work; I would take your vehicle away for 30 days.
It would take banning cell phones period. Stopping the sale and distribution of them.

What stops drunk drivers? Not the idea of a murder charge if they kill someone. So what'll stop people who text at the wheel? People will always do reckless things and act selfishly and in the moment. It takes a person to realize the consequences of their actions, and actually care. Laws just don't do anything for some people. There have been drunk drivers who have been arrested dozens of times, and are yet to learn. It's mind boggling and so frustrating, I'm with you. No text is that important. And if it is, pull over for 10 seconds.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:29 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,853,348 times
Penalties should be similar to DUI. Every accident should require checking cell and text records.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:08 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,455,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
And, if you are a New Jersey Transit Bus driver, add up another technique that just might trump them all:
"milking the lizard" on a packed bus during rush hour driving through the Lincoln Tunnel

George Simpson, New Jersey Bus Driver, Accused Of Masturbating Behind The Wheel

I guess hands free devices haven't been invented for this one, yet........

Geez, we finally find the one male on the planet who can truly multi-task, and this is what he uses his ability for....

KoalaNJ

Old 07-16-2013, 06:31 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,632,212 times
A 50 cal. machine gun would be a good start and if there were any survivors, hanging in public. U might as well throw in the jerks in the supermarket that must talk and text and get in my way.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:32 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,454,397 times
Isn't it obvious?

Take away the device, and charge the idiot using it. Upon conviction the device gets smashed, as does the idiot that was using it, while driving. If they have to spend $400 to replace it, well that is a fitting penalty, I think. Hit them in the pocket book.

By the way, here in Ontario, radar detectors are illegal, and when someone here ( Usually an American visitor ) is caught with one, the cops give you a choice, after they seize it. Do you want to go to court, or would you like to just DRIVE over it, right now ? The court option is a $500 fine, and seizure, and three points on your Provincial license record , for two years. The on the road " instant destruction option " is no court, no fine, and no points. Works really well, for us up here.

Straight to the heart of the problem, eh ?

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:13 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,396,943 times
[quote=canadian citizen;30510186]Isn't it obvious?

Take away the device, and charge the idiot using it. Upon conviction the device gets smashed, as does the idiot that was using it, while driving. If they have to spend $400 to replace it, well that is a fitting penalty, I think. Hit them in the pocket book.

By the way, here in Ontario, radar detectors are illegal, and when someone here ( Usually an American visitor ) is caught with one, the cops give you a choice, after they seize it. Do you want to go to court, or would you like to just DRIVE over it, right now ? The court option is a $500 fine, and seizure, and three points on your Provincial license record , for two years. The on the road " instant destruction option " is no court, no fine, and no points. Works really well, for us up here.

Straight to the heart of the problem, eh ?

Jim B

Toronto.[/quote

That is a great way to handle those devices but in the US the ACLU would be on the side of the drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey