Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2013, 10:19 PM

386 posts, read 872,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
NJ's cities need to expand.
This is easy.

Carve up Northern Elizabeth and give it to Newark.

Merge Irvington and Hillside into Newark (will help in the long run IMO).

Merge Ewing, southern Lawrence, and Hamilton into Trenton. (A 295/95 beltway would be ideal here IMO, but is much more unrealistic. That and the rural parts of Hamilton would help for a self-sustaining city.)

Merge the Oranges, the Wildwoods, and the Seasides (not sure about the Amboys tbh).

Merge Glouster City and Camden (oh my I'd love to see those town hall meetings )

Merge Millville and Vineland.

Merge Margate City and Ventnor City into Atlantic City.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 03:35 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
Newark is gentrifying,as already pointed out.
Esp the downtown area and the new lofts near the Arena. Those lofts are beautiful.

Now on a personal level,I don't think Newark wants middle class people living in the city.
The funds would dry up if only middle class people moved there.

The lofts owned by Rpm management for instance....you have to be at a certain income or else you can't rent a loft. My income was way above the limit. So I'm still priced "out'.
At the same time,I don't make enough to live in the building 1180 either.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:10 AM

512 posts, read 1,018,345 times
I would put Pennsauken with Camden (its going downhill and its not part of Camden but could be a nice suburban camden district). Millville and Vineland are two of the states largest cities by area with their own downtowns and plenty of farmland/forest within their borders.. no need for merger. All the donut hole towns should be merged and anything with a city that also has the same name but a township should be merged. Im thinking SO/Maplewood, Orange/EO, Metuchen/Edison, The chathams, the Burlingtons, the brunswicks, the morriss, etc.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:52 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,420,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Contrary to popular belief Newark is actually gentrifying, but it's moving very slowly. JC's gentrification is unprecedented as the waterfront builds up.

Newark is seeing development near the arena unseen in decades, and demand for living downtown was discovered there despite the overall crime picture of the city.

In all honesty, Newark really shouldn't have to expand just yet. In it's current geographical size it reached its peak population of over 440k. It still has a lot of flat land that can be built on before it needs to expand. With that said...it should expand anyway.

Pittsburgh may be a good example of a primary principle city, but then the logic falls when you see a city like Buffalo. Also a principle city but has been losing population and is now smaller than Newark. Oakland isn't a primary principle city and despite its crime it thrives.
this is a good point i didn't think of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Sporano View Post
This is easy.

Carve up Northern Elizabeth and give it to Newark.

Merge Irvington and Hillside into Newark (will help in the long run IMO).

Merge Ewing, southern Lawrence, and Hamilton into Trenton. (A 295/95 beltway would be ideal here IMO, but is much more unrealistic. That and the rural parts of Hamilton would help for a self-sustaining city.)

Merge the Oranges, the Wildwoods, and the Seasides (not sure about the Amboys tbh).

Merge Glouster City and Camden (oh my I'd love to see those town hall meetings )

[s]Merge Millville and Vineland.[/s]

Merge Margate City and Ventnor City into Atlantic City.
agree with most of these, i think eventually the oranges should join Newark (along with hillside and ivrington). This was actually originally supposed to happen. Merge the Plainfields as well. Hudson County should be consolidated as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
I would put Pennsauken with Camden (its going downhill and its not part of Camden but could be a nice suburban camden district). Millville and Vineland are two of the states largest cities by area with their own downtowns and plenty of farmland/forest within their borders.. no need for merger. All the donut hole towns should be merged and anything with a city that also has the same name but a township should be merged. Im thinking SO/Maplewood, Orange/EO, Metuchen/Edison, The chathams, the Burlingtons, the brunswicks, the morriss, etc.
i agree.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:38 PM

402 posts, read 752,164 times
I would like to see Hudson county and Essex county merge into a 2 borough system. Kind of like how New York city is set up. That would give us our own Major city.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:26 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
The NJ cities in question haven't been targets of waves of new, affluent professionals in the way NYC and (to an extent) Philly have because our cities aren't the type of MAJOR city that attract these folks. Hoboken and Jersey City are benefiting from their proximity to NYC, though.

To ask why Paterson, Newark (although things are changing there), Trenton, etc. are flat while cities in other states are outperforming is an apples/oranges question. Our small/mid-size cities are more comparable to the small/mid-sized cities in those other states. How do our cities compare to Yonkers? Poughkeepsie? Newburgh? Chester PA? Allentown? Reading? Bridgeport?

IMO, Jersey's cities are doing well (or at least OK) by comparison.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:18 PM

107 posts, read 195,838 times
Newark is picking up speed

Old 10-30-2013, 06:45 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neon_volt View Post
Newark is picking up speed
What? Another carjacking?

Old 10-30-2013, 06:53 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Sporano View Post
Merge the Oranges
Yeah, how about not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908boi
agree with most of these, i think eventually the oranges should join Newark (along with hillside and ivrington). This was actually originally supposed to happen.
Also no. The original Newark Township was quite large, but many parts of it split off early on. If Vailsburg hadn't been re-annexed, perhaps it would be better off than it is today.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:16 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,420,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Yeah, how about not?

Also no. The original Newark Township was quite large, but many parts of it split off early on. If Vailsburg hadn't been re-annexed, perhaps it would be better off than it is today.
ONE ORANGE AND REALTY - Opinions Differ as to the Effect Consolidation Might Have. VIEWS OF REAL ESTATE DEALERS Victor W. Voorhees Thinks a Union of the Oranges Would Increase Land Values -- Others Dispute It. - View Article - NYTimes.com

EAST ORANGE IS AVERSE - But Anti-Consolidation Sentiment Is Not So Strong as Supposed. THE VIEWS OF TOWN COMMITTEEMEN Some Would Prefer a Greater Orange to a Greater Newark, While Others Have an Opposite Opinion. - View Article - NYTimes.com

TO ANNEX THE ORANGES - Newark Preparing a Bill to Introduce in the Legislature. ORANGE FOLKS OPPOSE THAT, ANYWAY Praise for the Able Manner in Which the Consolidation Question Was Presented by "The Times." - View Article - NYTimes.com

There was definitely talk of annexing the one o m ore of the Oranges
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey