Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 10:46 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,425,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
You think the Oranges have more in common than the name?

//www.city-data.com/city/Orange-New-Jersey.html
//www.city-data.com/city/South-...ew-Jersey.html

South Orange has half the population, more than twice the per-capita income, twice the housing values, a much lower crime index, etc.

Consolidating them into Newark would be just a tax grab, as it was in 1895. Except that it might have worked then; now it would just result in a land value crash in South and West Orange.
yeah i think they have more in common than just name

and isn't that the goal if you trying to expand Newark?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 09:15 AM

10,224 posts, read 19,223,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
yeah i think they have more in common than just name
Then you didn't comprehend the links I gave hyou.

Quote:
and isn't that the goal if you trying to expand Newark?
How does it benefit people in East Orange, Orange, West Orange, or South Orange to be incorporated into Newark? The benefit to Newark is obvious (if fleeting), but benefiting Newark isn't really the goal for those of us who are living in any of the Oranges. Or for those in Livingston, Maplewood, Bloomfield, or Belleville who would have to figure they'd be next.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:00 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,879,933 times
Quote:
How does it benefit people in East Orange, Orange, West Orange, or South Orange to be incorporated into Newark? The benefit to Newark is obvious (if fleeting), but benefiting Newark isn't really the goal for those of us who are living in any of the Oranges. Or for those in Livingston, Maplewood, Bloomfield, or Belleville who would have to figure they'd be next.
From a cultural standpoint, you get to be the upscale neighborhood of a big important American city, rather than being some random suburb somewhere.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
From a cultural standpoint, you get to be the upscale neighborhood of a big important American city, rather than being some random suburb somewhere.
Um, who cares? Even if Newark was a big important American city, why is it better to be an upscale neighborhood of it (a.k.a. piggy bank for the city government) than to be an independent suburb?

Old 11-02-2013, 04:09 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,886,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Thanks for all the input. First, as for the map I put up, I realize that is a completely unrealistic goal. However, I really don't think 5-10 towns should be as difficult as it sounds either. Take boroughs 18 19 20 21 22 in Camden County, for example. These towns all go to the same high school and are very similar socioeconomically. If they were combined, you'd have a new town that is 4.8 sq mi and has ~19000 people. This would honestly still be a small town, but there would surely be a lot of savings from going from five of everything to one. This is the type of thing I am truly advocating for, not trying to have Newark subsume everything as in that map (that was just for fun).
Wow, didn't know parts of the state were that fragmented (guess it shows my own myopically Northern NJ perspective). Yeah, completely agreed that if you have 5 similar towns already sharing the same high school with a total population of ~19,000 that's a no-brainer and will generate real savings without harming the social fabric. Ideally it should still be voluntary though to make sure everyone buys in and so as not to create a chilling atmosphere against service-sharing and mergers in other parts of the state.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:59 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,425,307 times
Quote:
Then you didn't comprehend the links I gave hyou.

If you look at all the large city annexations in North America, the thoughts and concerns of the suburbs aren't really important.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
If you look at all the large city annexations in North America, the thoughts and concerns of the suburbs aren't really important.
And that is one reason they aren't happening so much any more. People in the suburbs wised up and put roadblocks in place to prevent cities from absorbing them without their permission. In some cases via state law changes, in others by incorporating or changing the governmental form of the suburbs. Thus the various wealthy suburbs of Camden County need not worry about being annexed and squeezed dry by Camden City, nor can the Oranges, Bloomfield, or Belleville be taken by Newark. If you want it to happen you'll have to convince the NJ state legislature, and I think they'll want to know the municipalities involved are OK with it -- because otherwise they have to worry that their municipality will be next to be taken.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:47 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,091,606 times
Quote:
And that is one reason they aren't happening so much any more. People in the suburbs wised up and put roadblocks in place to prevent cities from absorbing them without their permission. In some cases via state law changes, in others by incorporating or changing the governmental form of the suburbs. Thus the various wealthy suburbs of Camden County need not worry about being annexed and squeezed dry by Camden City, nor can the Oranges, Bloomfield, or Belleville be taken by Newark. If you want it to happen you'll have to convince the NJ state legislature, and I think they'll want to know the municipalities involved are OK with it -- because otherwise they have to worry that their municipality will be next to be taken.
Or, more accurately put: having Newark RE-annex those areas as much of that region was Newark before. Combined with old voting power was based on land ownership and not populace. You're right in that NJ's evolved laws meant it was nearly impossible to reclaim it, as many other cities had done (and those were in the good years).

Old 11-02-2013, 07:50 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,091,606 times
Quote:
It must be because suburbs can't survive without an anchoring city (Newark provides the anchor as a NY extension). Suburbs are the result of wealth, but they generally don't create their own wealth, I guess minimizing the concerns of adjacent suburbs.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Or, more accurately put: having Newark RE-annex those areas as much of that region was Newark before.
Not exactly. Newark TOWNSHIP was huge, and once encompassed many of those areas. The City of Newark never did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey