Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 08:59 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
when someone calls in sick, they usually fall behind on work. they don't have to shut down, but other work gets shelved. Used to happen when I worked at Blockbuster in college. There's a lot that gets done outside of ringing up a customer. And yeah, that could turn into less sales. If you can't restock the KitKats or put movies back on the shelves, maybe customers rent 1 less movie, in that scenario, and maybe they skip buying a snack....there's a lot that goes into some of these jobs that people never think of.
But then you have to weigh the cost/benefit of selling an extra kit kat/movie vs. paying someone to make sure it gets done. I don't think every single business is currently working at maximum capacity. Some may and those may just absorb the cost because to them it is worth it. Will all do that? My guess is no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 09:08 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Hmm. That's actually pretty smart.
it's like the Florida model...lol

Old 11-11-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
That's the problem.

Now I have to start those with no experience at doing ANYTHING (my employee base= college kids & all under 24. No college grads or brain surgeons needed to run a cash register, stock shelves, take deliveries, run a vacuum, etc.) at $8.25, where I used to start them at $7.50. Performance gets one of my employees a raise after 90 days and to $8.00/hr. Another 3 months? $8.50.

So now do I have to raise my employees hourly wage who are at $8.50/hr to $9.50/hr because the "newbies" are going to HAVE to be paid $8.25/hr?

People either didn't think or they just do NOT understand macro-economics.
that's your decision. when i started working at a public accounting firm in 2004, starting salaries were skyrocketing. I was actually being paid more than people who were hired in 2003 and 2002. and in 2007, salaries declined. they didn't adjust our salaries down though....

Old 11-11-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Sure is.

So for the SMBO's struggling through the economic downturn (good thing for us is when it's bad "out there", we do even better), they now have to shell out more $$$ in payroll costs for the same job that anyone could do without putting too much thought in to it, and either lose their business or pass the costs on and lose business.

Again, what should someone who stocks a shelf be paid? Someone who makes a cup of coffee? Hands you a bagel? Flips a burger? Asks if you'd like that "super sized"? Greets you with snot hanging out of their nose when you enter a store? And then leer's at your little girl one second too long. Dries your windshield off when exiting a car wash?

The families of WalMart and the like? They're sitting on billions of dollars that have been invested over the years and if every WalMart went belly up? They aren't going to be any worse for the wear. So voting "yes" to "stick it to 'em" didn't do a damn thing to hurt them. You (in general, not you specifically, Camaro) just hurt yourself and the SMBO in your community.
starbucks pays pretty good wages and benefits for pouring a cup of coffee....just sayin'

Old 11-11-2013, 10:03 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Quote:
starbucks pays pretty good wages and benefits for pouring a cup of coffee....just sayin'
It has a lot to do with corporate culture. Costco doesn't have to pay $15/hour. But the benefit of a happy, loyal workforce and low turnover for them translates into a happier customer & better sales. WalMart has cost and virtually nothing else going for it. They lock employees in overnight and make it hard to get benefits. Their employees always look downtrodden. I know lots of ppl who won't shop there on principle.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:05 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
1. why were we do for an increase if tying future increases to inflation is a mistake?

2. how many jobs in NJ actually paid minimum wage anyways? I've said this on other threads, but Wal-Mart cashiers at all the locations my wife worked in made around $9/hr, and I think that was the lowest paying job at a Wal-Mart store.
With these two statements, you certainly make a good case for dropping the minimum wage altogether. Is Marc starting to rub off on you?

It is politically a lot easier to "give" than it is to take away. You can control price pressures when you control costs. Why were we due for an increase? Mainly, because the economy can handle it right now. We just attached the minimum wage to CPI, which goes up in bad economies as well as good. That is why Social Security increases needed to be halted. This is why the push for chained CPI. Now you have to tell seniors AND poor people that they will not get their COL increases even though CPI has risen. CPI always rises. Also, as has been stated, if you raise the minimum, you end up raising wages across the board. If not, those people making $8.50 before are going to start wondering why they they are suddenly "minimum wage employees".

Old 11-11-2013, 10:08 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,581 times
Quote:

2. how many jobs in NJ actually paid minimum wage anyways? I've said this on other threads, but Wal-Mart cashiers at all the locations my wife worked in made around $9/hr, and I think that was the lowest paying job at a Wal-Mart store.
According to the DOL, for 2012 in NJ, of hourly wage earners -- 49,000 earned min wage; 54,000 below min wage.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:09 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Most of the stuff I purchase at Costco is cheaper than Wal-Mart (who pays more than minimum wage). McDonalds has locations around the world and pays higher wages than here, yet the prices are barely different...
In my profession, I often have cases that defy the evidence of published, peer reviewed studies. It is called a case review, and it is only indicative of ONE case, or even 2 or 3 cases, but it is certainly no substitute for a large scale, evidence based study.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
That's the problem. People think folks like Walton's are going to suffer. They aren't. The SBOs are.

If you want to get back at specific big businesses (family owned or otherwise) because you don't like how they pay/treat their employees and don't think they deserve to make millions of dollars a year? Don't patronize that business.

SBOs have been struggling through the last few years of a pretty bad economy. NJ voted to stick it to 'em harder. Make them have to choose between keeping their family finances status quo or possibly keeping the business afloat or an employee's family? Who is going to win each and every time? Not the employee or his/her family.
i'd really like to know which small businesses are paying minimum wage though. seriously...what jobs in the state of NJ are literally minimum wage?

Old 11-11-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
In my profession, I often have cases that defy the evidence of published, peer reviewed studies. It is called a case review, and it is only indicative of ONE case, or even 2 or 3 cases, but it is certainly no substitute for a large scale, evidence based study.
i'm not seeing your point, exactly. i work in statistical probabilities, so i certainly understand sample sizes and populations....are you criticizing that I only brought up McDonald's? or that I only compared Costco to Wal-Mart (my wife worked at wal-mart for 9 years and got 10% off, and we still shopped at Costco over Wal-Mart).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey