Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2014, 04:34 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
No, no, that's not what I did. I don't think anyone's innocent and I'm not making excuses. My first thought when I read the text about the kids missing school was that I'm sure the kids didn't mind missing school - no kid complains about missing school, and that's how I took that one.

This is despicable and needs to be looked into. At this point, though, when all is said and done, it's over with.
These kids didn't miss school and go play at the park, or watch a movie, they sat in a bus for FOUR HOURS.

Some of them were little kids, what if they had to go to the bathroom? What if they got hungry? What if they just got sick of sitting on a bus for four hours.

Just because they are the children in a democratic town does not mean they enjoy sitting in a bu for four hours with no bathroom, no nurse, no anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 04:34 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
You are happy that your wife does things daily that shock you, and you are willing to give our esteemed governor and his staff a pass on this issue? You may be a candidate for sainthood, or you may just be in total denial.

Neither. I'm just your average rational human being that doesn't expect everyone to react or act the way I might. It's probably why I'm happily married

Old 01-08-2014, 04:37 PM

396 posts, read 708,313 times
I am speechless and appalled.......

Just appalled......

I hate to sound like a conspiracist but it's clearly this was not an impassive decision. "Time to make traffic whatever" and the answer is an immediate "GOT IT"? As in "I know what you mean"..... That's BAD BAD BAD.

....and I have a hard time believing a plan like this would not have been run by the Governor, let alone one he initiated. It was HIS enemy, he's the one with the biggest ax to grind and an action like this originates with anger.

No, Chris Christie is in deep doo doo. You do not get to settle personal vendettas with public facilities.

JUST BAD.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
This is not a "big Yawn". Its a major scandal. They are laughing about hurting children. Even republicans should be appalled. I dont care what your politics are, this kind of retribution should not be tolerated. I bet it will get much worse for Christie. Getting harder and harder for him to lie.
My reaction to a tee....and I liked the guy.

Really, just saddened, he was the only Republican I kind of liked.

LIKED, as in past.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Because I'm not swayed by nonsense like this.
Assuming he really had no idea this happened, it still means his judgement of character is so bad that he hired people (as he admitted) who reveled in the fact that children were stuck in buses for four hours. The man has now shown his judgement to appoint important people like cabinet members is not to be trusted.

That is the best case scenario. And his "strength" was that he was a no nonsense kind of guy, except now we know he hires people who aren't just pro-nonsense, they are pro-letting children and people having heart attacks suffer to support their nonsense.

He is done on the national level.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
who are they going to try to recall, Christie? the guy just won in a landslide and the tea party in nj is going to have limited influence. also, every politician and his cabinet is corrupt and capable of such actions. im not excusing it (I said to hang them) but the American people seem to be willing to accept that politicians are corrupt. so while you may not consider gun control more significant, politically its easier to rally people for that than to battle corrupt politicians. who would they find to run against the recalled politician? it would just be another corrupt politician and his corrupt lackeys.
I am angry enough to go start it myself.

In no way shape or form should someone use public works to get even at other people. Totally with you on the hanging.....though who we are kidding, I am a bit of a liberal when it comes to punishment....but kidding aside, this is....I don't know what to call it. A new low......

We, Republicans and Democrats alike, should be appalled. This is what is wrong with our country--we've declared war on each other and abandoned any modicum of decency and any standard of behavior. HOW CAN ANYONE LOOK THE OTHER WAY ON THIS?

Old 01-08-2014, 04:41 PM

260 posts, read 337,748 times
The people closest to the Governor's ordered this "study" on the first day of school. Tens of thousands of people were late to work/school/doctor's appointments or to wherever they were going. Some of them probably missed their appointments, flights or lost time from their jobs. Emergency personnel took twice as long to get to people as normal. His staff mocked the inconvenience of it all as shown by the e-mails. All for no actual reason except to **** off the Mayor of FT. Lee and the townspeople who were likely Democrats. Christie denied not only his own involvement but by his staff as well. So even if he knew nothing about this (highly unlikely), he didn't have a handle on what those closest to him were doing.

This isn't a trivial matter at all. Trivial is using a state helicopter to go to your son's baseball game (wrong even still). Trivial is picking apart someone because of their appearance (also wrong). This is recklessly using your power to plan and execute something causing potential harm to many people because you are angry that the town's mayor didn't endorse you for Governor.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Nothing is proven, you are basing your opinions on mob mentality and out of context text messages/emails. None of which are from Chris Christie! If it turns out that the allegations, since that is all they are at this point, are true I will look and see what the governor's response is. That is called rational thinking and evaluation.

And honestly even if it is true I think it's more funny than hurtful to anyone. Someone died because of traffic? Children peed their pants? Really? The public outcry of being stuck in traffic for a few hours is ridiculous and sounds like a great SNL skit. I'm stuck in traffic everyday for a couple hours, usually its because some idiot on the other side of the highway wasn't paying attention and slammed into another car KILLING someone. That is an outrage and it happens 115 times everyday in the US.

Sorry I don't share your outrage at this.
He admitted that this happened.

Christie denies involvement in controversial lane closures, says was 'misled' | Fox News

Even Christie isn't claiming it was an allegation anymore, he acknowledge it happened.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I've crossed the George Washington Bridge several times, that's why I'm just amazed by this story. To read the texts back and forth, how vindictive his staff are, how humorous they find it, how little they care about the people affected, I really think this should be a federal investigation. They didn't want it to end. They wanted this to keep going and yes, someone could have easily died.
COMPLETELY AGREE==how is this not criminal?

Old 01-08-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It's not the bridge closure itself, it's that they used us as pawns solely to take a political poke at someone. They played a game with people's lives and laughed about it, people who might have been late for job interviews, missed flights, gotten into accidents, whatever. I am someone who actually likes and admires Christie, but to me this is just a stunning betrayal of trust and abuse of power. I am appalled that people are willing to overlook this.
So apparently Fort Lee's emergency responders were called away to deal with the traffic and there was a person who had a heart attack and got late care....just overhead this on TV.

......I, like you, this is an inexcusable and stunning betrayal of trust and power and he needs to resign and people need to go to jail.

You can not STEAL public resources to get even with other people who didn't vote for you. It's wrong on so many levels that I cannot understand why ANYONE can defend this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey