Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 09:22 AM

3 posts, read 3,125 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are thinking about moving in together. She works in Cranbury, NJ (30 min north of Trenton) and I work in Midtown NYC (right by penn station). She would drive to work but I would need to commute by train/bus. Does anyone know a good area in NJ that would be under an hour commute for both of us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 09:27 AM

83 posts, read 152,377 times
Union,Essex, and maybe Middlesex county

Old 01-17-2014, 10:50 AM

Any specific towns that are a nice area?

Old 01-17-2014, 12:43 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
see sticky on front page of NJ forum, budget & other info needed for meaningful advice

Old 01-17-2014, 01:07 PM

Thanks! Didn't see the sticky.

Budget would be under $1600 /mo for rent. Looking for a peaceful/safe area. Since I will not have a car (but my girlfirend will), possibly a town that is not too car dependant (some stores, bars and train station in a walkable distances).

Some other criteria things:

parks
younger neighbor
easy parking

Old 01-17-2014, 04:27 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,455,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuang15 View Post
Thanks! Didn't see the sticky.

Budget would be under $1600 /mo for rent. Looking for a peaceful/safe area. Since I will not have a car (but my girlfirend will), possibly a town that is not too car dependant (some stores, bars and train station in a walkable distances).

Some other criteria things:

parks
younger neighbor
easy parking

The first place that comes to mind for your situation would be Metuchen. Nice, safe Walkable downtown, and a train station. The train from Metuchen to NYC Penn is 50 min, and the drive to Cranbury is about 30 min. (though during peak rush hour times it will be longer, more in the 45-50 min range) You'll def. be able to find a nice place to rent for your budget. Great quiet family oriented town.

Highland Park may also be an option, if you stick to the western side of town, you are a short walk to the New Brunswick train station, though the train from NB to NYC Penn is slightly longer at around 55-60 min. The commute from HP to Cranbury would be good, about 25 min, non rush. Like Metuchen, HP gives you the safe, quiet family town, walkable downtown, but also the closeness to New Brunswick, so you can take advantage of the nightlife close by when desired.

HTH
KoalaNJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey