Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 08:26 PM

929 posts, read 1,659,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
if you aren't living in new jersey, then you aren't a new jerseyan.
So, your Senators, Congressmen, and soldiers overseas aren't New Jerseyans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 08:31 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
So, your Senators, Congressmen, and soldiers overseas aren't New Jerseyans.
not unless they live at least 2 months of the year in nj. its just a piece of land, being a new jerseyan simply means you live in that piece of land. it doesn't take away some special piece of your identity unless you are some pathetic insecure person that requires some kind of special association with the state you live in as some kind of social identity for yourself.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:51 PM

456 posts, read 833,038 times
Quote:
if you aren't living in new jersey, then you aren't a new jerseyan. what else do you think being a "new jerseyan" means? its not in your blood, its a geographic location. a piece of land. if you don't live within its borders, you aren't a new jerseyan.
Yes, it´s just land, but growing up in that land and community is different than living there for one year. being from nj is not an ethnic identity, but a regional one.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maast View Post
Yes, it´s just land, but growing up in that land and community is different than living there for one year. being from nj is not an ethnic identity, but a regional one.
haahahaha whatever, you want to be a proud "new jerseyan" because you happened to grow up in a piece of land then you feel that way.

I am who I am because of my family, not the piece of land I live on.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:45 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,048,839 times
Quote:
Doesn't that apply to all people?
Not to the people who move to New York, from Middle America, apparently.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:17 PM

456 posts, read 833,038 times
Quote:
haahahaha whatever, you want to be a proud "new jerseyan" because you happened to grow up in a piece of land then you feel that way.

I am who I am because of my family, not the piece of land I live on.
Who ever said being "New Jerseyan" is more important than your family or even ethnic group? My family and ethnicity is much more important than me being from New Jersey and that goes for the majority of people. The identity to the state is the same way a person has a nostalgic connection to the neighborhood where he grew up in. I think that's a normal thing, but it doesn't necessarily replace your family or ethnic identity nor is it more important. It's just something that's part of you.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:58 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Not to the people who move to New York, from Middle America, apparently.
People seem immensely proud to move to New York, especially young people/students, and are quick to call themselves New Yorkers though for many it's laughable - especially for students who spend their summers and winter breaks back home in California or Wisconsin or wherever else I met people from who fit this to a T. I'm young and attended college in Staten Island and knew tons of people from all over the country who were so proud to be in New York City. Some even moved off campus to Brooklyn or Manhattan and commuted to classes, inserting themselves into the lifestyle and proudly declaring themselves New Yorkers. Guess it's the cool thing to do.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Who ever said being "New Jerseyan" is more important than your family or even ethnic group? My family and ethnicity is much more important than me being from New Jersey and that goes for the majority of people. The identity to the state is the same way a person has a nostalgic connection to the neighborhood where he grew up in. I think that's a normal thing, but it doesn't necessarily replace your family or ethnic identity nor is it more important. It's just something that's part of you.
I see it more as a place I live in than being a part of me and part of my identity.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:37 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Jersey on mom's side, and M******* on Dad's.

I think you need more ties than moving here to be a New Jersian (ridiculous term btw).

Old 01-22-2014, 08:14 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,202,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
New Jersian (ridiculous term btw).
I call the locals in NJ Jersey folk.

But anyone who truly understands how the pace of life works here and feels like its their home after crossing over the Delaware or Hudson should be considered a "New Jersian". After long road trips to Pittsburgh, Chicago, Virginia, or Rochester. Crossing over the Delaware river gives me a sense of elevated comfort and happiness that we have finally reached Home .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey