Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 12:01 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
haha so you buy into the complain on a forum and pretend you aren't giving into the "that's the way it is mentality." ok, so what are you doing to change the way it is?

I have no problem with people saying we are getting ripped off. but that's totally irrelevant here in this thread.
Is it? I'd say if you are paying through the nose to live in Hoboken and not completely satisfied with the schools then you should probably move out since the district is corrupt. Although for that particular user she might be happy there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 12:05 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Is it? I'd say if you are paying through the nose to live in Hoboken and not completely satisfied with the schools then you should probably move out since the district is corrupt. Although for that particular user she might be happy there.
the OP never complained about the schools. even if she did, your point wouldn't be relevant. you are just trying to fit something where it doesn't fit.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
the OP never complained about the schools. even if she did, your point wouldn't be relevant. you are just trying to fit something where it doesn't fit.
You're fitting in extreme exaggeration with your post.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
You're fitting in extreme exaggeration with your post.
do crazy people know when they are crazy?

Old 02-12-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
do crazy people know when they are crazy?
I think I've been fighting with someone who is not only crazy, but completely miserable!

Old 02-12-2014, 12:52 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Hoboken schools are certainly on the rise, and there are a number of charter schools as options if that's your cup of tea. more and more families are choosing to remain in Hoboken, and the current government is doing what it can to work on open space and improving the schools, among many other things. It's not for me, but if you want the experience of living in Hoboken and have children, it's definitely an option. Most people don't leave Hoboken because of the schools, they leave because of space and/or cost. You can see a distinct change in demographics with age groups over the past 10 years.

As for the OP's question, the person who said the area around the PATH, Washington St. and 1st St, is dead on. Also, research the worst offenders for intersections that flood. You'll probably want to avoid those. There's a few in South West Hoboken and in North West Hoboken.

I lived on 1st and Jefferson and loved it, but the flooded intersections would create congestion issues during bad storms.

If you can, I'd target up around Elysian Park or closer to the North West section like stacyann was referencing.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:59 PM

22 posts, read 49,885 times
CaptainNJ , that's so funny, 3 times more. I only go by peer rankings that take into account Free and Reduced Lunch. With that Hoboken is doing ok and actually way better than a charter school in town that is at the bottom 3 percentile of other schools in its peer group.

Also, test scores are important but not everything. For example, in Hoboken the test scores use to be better because there was corruption and somehow any child not deemed not 'smart' was sick on the day of the standard test, so if you look at the number of people taking the test years ago it was way less than actually went to the school but the scores were much higher.. Anyway, pretty sure you don't care but maybe someone else will.

Stacy

Old 02-15-2014, 12:17 AM

3 posts, read 7,083 times
Thanks for all your replies. But again..I wanted to know more about safety in different neighborhoods. Brokers tell me that it is very safe almost everywhere. The neighborhoods near light rail station look very quiet and lonely, specially in the evening. Also, I see homeless people around path and main streets. We are not using a car , so we will be walking for groceries or school .

Old 02-15-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyann_1 View Post
CaptainNJ , that's so funny, 3 times more. I only go by peer rankings that take into account Free and Reduced Lunch. With that Hoboken is doing ok and actually way better than a charter school in town that is at the bottom 3 percentile of other schools in its peer group.
the 3 times thing is very unscientific.

how do you factor in the free/reduced lunch? you are saying you don't want the school to have that or that is an important positive for sending your kid there?

Old 02-15-2014, 06:47 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,774,139 times
I like how people say that Hoboken schools are on the rise. That is fien for kids born 10 years from now, but since they are on the rise now, and your kids are there now, that means you are sending your kids to a school that isn't great now. I would prefer to send my kids to a school that is good now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey