Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 02:09 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicobellic View Post
Only broke your couples would want to go to Bushwick. OP did not claim to be a broke young couple.

Here is what OP said:

They are coming from Manhattan which has an 18% poverty rate. Hoboken is an improvement.

So basically you have been posting without any regard to OP's question. What is the point of doing that!
Manhattan is 18, Hoboken is 13, Bushwick is 28. OK so Bushwick is a little higher overall. Perhaps a little too much diversity than lilly whitebread Hoboken? Can a young couple handle it? OH GEE I DON'T KNOW!!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 02:52 PM

121 posts, read 170,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Manhattan is 18, Hoboken is 13, Bushwick is 28. OK so Bushwick is a little higher overall. Perhaps a little too much diversity than lilly whitebread Hoboken? Can a young couple handle it? OH GEE I DON'T KNOW!!?
Previously you said:

Quote:
But the poverty rate of 13% in Hoboken? Should a young family choose to raise their kid their over the burbs?
So previously you argued that Hoboken was too high crime for a young family, who should move to the burbs instead. Now you are asking why they are not headed to much higher crime ghetto?

All the while ignoring that OP wants to be closer to family in NJ but not far from work in NYC.

What time is it in LA?

Old 06-11-2014, 03:09 PM

121 posts, read 170,623 times
Quote:
So THAT is your problem with Hoboken.

Got it.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:28 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Well agree to disagree again. Hoboken IS NOT a great place to live. It's expensive, run down, has horrible infrastructure, no parking, bad weather, and surly people. At the end of the day it's a gentrified ex-factory town that has turned into a post college bubble. OK to visit for a few days? Sure. To live there? I've done it and feel it's not worth it.
It used to be a post college bubble, but it started to transform with more and more young families living there. It's certainly expensive and has outdated infrastructure (when Sandy hit, part of the reason why Hoboken had no power for so long is the substation needed to have some parts custom-made because they are no longer manufactured). Yes, there's very little parking, which is why I would recommend not owning a car in Hoboken. I loved not having the stress of a car while I lived there - but that lifestyle isn't for everyone.

I wouldn't buy a place there, but as a young family who wants a short commute to midtown-east and doesn't have to care a ton about public schools yet, it's a good choice. You have to like living in a city, in an apartment, etc. But if that's what you're looking for, it's got a lot to offer.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:43 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicobellic View Post
So THAT is your problem with Hoboken.

Got it.
it's kinda funny that that's his problem too. there's no disputing that it's a large white population, but it's not like being in a large-white-populated suburb. There's plenty of cultural diversity in Hoboken in the form of amazing choices of cuisine (La Isla, Chucharamama, Zafra, Charrito's, to name a few). There's diversity in the population as well, though not as diverse as most urban areas. When I moved out, one of the reasons was cost and another was I couldn't really imagine raising a family there. But since I moved out, more and more young families have moved in and it's far more hospitable to families than it used to be. I still prefer space vs. condo living, but that's a personal preference.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:49 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
It used to be a post college bubble, but it started to transform with more and more young families living there. It's certainly expensive and has outdated infrastructure (when Sandy hit, part of the reason why Hoboken had no power for so long is the substation needed to have some parts custom-made because they are no longer manufactured). Yes, there's very little parking, which is why I would recommend not owning a car in Hoboken. I loved not having the stress of a car while I lived there - but that lifestyle isn't for everyone.

I wouldn't buy a place there, but as a young family who wants a short commute to midtown-east and doesn't have to care a ton about public schools yet, it's a good choice. You have to like living in a city, in an apartment, etc. But if that's what you're looking for, it's got a lot to offer.
Used to be? Tell that to most kids from the affluent suburbs that migrate to Hoboken right after college. It's a goddamn bro and bi*chfest. The party didn't stop when you left in 2010, it got worse. And don't even get me started on the local cuisine. For the most part, it's a total joke. You think Churrito's is good? It's some of the worst mexican food I've ever consumed in my life.

And yes, it's those reasons: outdated infrastructure, bad weather, no parking, and the same people in the same bubble doing the same s*it over and over again that got irritating.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:07 AM

208 posts, read 468,656 times
I've lived in Hoboken for approximately 7 years. We are about to move and it's bitter sweet. Yes, there are a lot of negatives about Hoboken. Expense is one of them. But there are also a lot of positives. I've really enjoyed living here. It's a semi city life with the ability to have comforts of a home for us. We have deeded parking, a large unit and a private yard. You can't really get that in NYC for the price we paid.

There are movie nights, lots of activities for families and dart leagues on Tuesday nights, and Billard leagues on Wednesday nights as well as sports and festivals. The daycares are expensive. Schools aren't great (especially as you go into middle and high school) but I think for preschool it's fine. Part of me wants to stay but it's time to move on for personal reasons. I would say it was one of my best living experiences.

But to the OP, there are may options to get into Midtown as previously stated. When we first started looking we only wanted to be close to the Path. That was very expensive. The further you are away from the Path, the prices go down. I wouldn't suggest going too far past Jefferson/Madison. I'm not sure what the Market is like, but if you have a car, best thing to do is to find something with parking. It made our lives much easier.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:06 PM

3 posts, read 9,848 times
Thank you for the responses! I actually love Brooklyn but we are pretty set on moving to NJ to be closer to family. We checked out apartments and neighborhoods in JC and Hoboken this past weekend and liked uptown Hoboken quite a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey