Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 08:41 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,466,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
That already happened. It's called the H1B visa. Microsoft, Oracle, etc. all cried to Congress that there weren't enough tech workers. Problem was they didn't finish the sentence. There aren't enough tech workers that are willing to work for what we want to pay.
Not quite, work visas are limited and require an application ( and documentation) process. I'm fairly certain that you are aware of the difference between entering and working in the country legally and illegally ( although it doesn't really seem to matter to businesses, I'm fairly certain that tech companies would hire undocumented labor if it was as available and as easy to get away with as in other sectors). If there were millions of undocumented educated professionals in this country, the middle class would throw an absolute ****-fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 09:49 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
"not in the way you are implying" ok, so then how? you clearly know exactly how they can do it and how to pretend they cant do it. are you referring to using the emergency room and then skipping out on paying? yeah, we know they can do that also. but now they can get subsidized health insurance thanks to Obama! is that a better deal for us than sticking them on medicaid? they can vote because you can register to vote without proving your legal status and you can vote without proving it. one funny thing is that I know that you know this. so why do you lie and say they cant vote? yeah yeah, the law may say they cant but I know that you know that they can.

a lot of your posts here are based on what is theoretically supposed to happen if everyone followed "the law" but you are very aware of how easily people can get around the law. but you are an Obama propagandist so you avoid the reality.
how can they get subsidized health insurance thanks to obama? Enlighten us, oh master conspiracy theorist.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
he is intentionally manipulating you. he knows that individuals can not police illegal immigration. so he tries to sound like he is being reasonable by at least laying some blame somewhere. but since when are citizens supposed to act like police? since when can we ask a worker for his permanent resident card? brady knows we cant police it, so he says "you are to blame for not policing it." its a clever way of deflecting the blame. brady knows exactly what he is doing and you fell for it.

since when does the government enforce laws by sitting around and hoping one day that citizens will take the law into their own hands and start checking ID's and boycotting people breaking the law? the Obama admin doesn't even want individual states getting in their way, that's why they sued Arizona.
Bull$hit. you know darn well I'm not talking about asking the guy sitting in the cube next to you. I'm talking about paying attention to the restaurants you patronize. The landscapers you hire. The contractors you work with and who they bring with them.

Ever hear of neighborhood watch? They do a far better job than some central police station at identifying spikes in crime in their town.

we all play a part in enforcing the law.

you continue with you misinformed BS. it does nothing productive.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Agree. Again, the problem starts and will end at the border.
then the problem never ends. Because we have illegal immigrants from Korea, Philippines, Europe, and parts of Asia.

How are they getting in?

Ignorance is bliss. If you think there's some magical way to seal a border, then countries surrounded by water would LOVE to talk to you.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
The primary beneficiaries of the current situation are those who hire illegal immigrants/undocumented labor. As of right now, there's zero reason to even have any immigration laws on the books. The gov't might as well let in anyone who wants in ( I have a sneaky suspicion that some middle class liberals who are sympathetic to illegal immigrants would throw an absolute ****fit it engineers, scientists, finance types, and IT professionals from Russia, Iran, India, China, or any other country were able to move here at will).

A sensible solution would be to have a more robust work visa program for unskilled labor (also, those on work visas and their employers would have to contribute the equivalent of FICA and other worker specific taxes/contributions for a general healthcare fund for these workers) and more robust methods to detect and deport those who are in this country illegally (and punish those that hire them), but obsefucation and ideological grandstanding by both of the major political parties prevents any sort of pragmatic solution to this problem.
good to see that not everyone is idiotic. the problem is solved by addressing the areas of who is benefiting from the problem. We keep ignoring the problem because the message from both parties helps cover up the real beneficiaries (ok - now i sound like a conspiracy theorist too).

Old 07-26-2014, 10:04 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
then the problem never ends. Because we have illegal immigrants from Korea, Philippines, Europe, and parts of Asia.
You're right - it never ends. Because our politicians don't want it to. Yet again, if they really wanted to stop illegal immigration, they could. Our military is the best in the world, put those guys at the border, have them shoot everyone trying to cross, to literally protect our country, you can say goodbye to this issue. Spend the time and money to check on those on with temporary visas and you can also crack down on those who temporarily enter legally then never leave when it's time. Even curbing visas in the first place, types of immigration restrictions like we used to have can control it. It's entirely possible to control this problem. The issue is, no one in power wants to.

Most illegal immigrants at this time overwhelmingly come from Mexico and south of it. Why? Because we share a land border, and the Americas are connected from Canada to Argentina, and these people in poor 3rd world countries looking to earn some money to send back home have the ability to just walk right in if they try.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
You're right - it never ends. Because our politicians don't want it to. Yet again, if they really wanted to stop illegal immigration, they could. Our military is the best in the world, put those guys at the border, have them shoot everyone trying to cross, to literally protect our country, you can say goodbye to this issue. Spend the time and money to check on those on with temporary visas and you can also crack down on those who temporarily enter legally then never leave when it's time. Even curbing visas in the first place, types of immigration restrictions like we used to have can control it. It's entirely possible to control this problem. The issue is, no one in power wants to.

Most illegal immigrants at this time overwhelmingly come from Mexico and south of it. Why? Because we share a land border, and the Americas are connected from Canada to Argentina, and these people in poor 3rd world countries looking to earn some money to send back home have the ability to just walk right in if they try.
your suggestion isn't based in reality for a number of reasons. it must be nice to live in a fantasy world where the solution is what you suggest.

the way to control the problem is to cut off the reasons for the problem. punish the people bringing them here, punish the people hiring them.

you can say whatever you want about immigrants from Mexico and south of it. It only further reveals ignorance on the issue. latin americans are a lot of our illegal immigrants, but there's a lot more not from there than you think.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:47 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
the way to control the problem is to cut off the reasons for the problem. punish the people bringing them here, punish the people hiring them.

you can say whatever you want about immigrants from Mexico and south of it. It only further reveals ignorance on the issue. latin americans are a lot of our illegal immigrants, but there's a lot more not from there than you think.
The reasons for the problem do not lie here. They lie in the countries these people are fleeing. Violence and poverty are the main reasons people come from south of our border. We would not have this influx of immigrants we do if every country they're coming from are as wealthy and fortunate as those of us in this country.

You've got the cause and effect wrong. People are hiring illegals BECAUSE they're coming, not the other way around. Captain's right about your method of placing blame.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:37 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,002 times
Quote:
The reasons for the problem do not lie here. They lie in the countries these people are fleeing. Violence and poverty are the main reasons people come from south of our border. We would not have this influx of immigrants we do if every country they're coming from are as wealthy and fortunate as those of us in this country.

You've got the cause and effect wrong. People are hiring illegals BECAUSE they're coming, not the other way around. Captain's right about your method of placing blame.
So your solution is...? Ensure that every other country in the world is as wealthy and fortunate as the US?

OK, I agree that likely eliminate the issue.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:29 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Bull$hit. you know darn well I'm not talking about asking the guy sitting in the cube next to you. I'm talking about paying attention to the restaurants you patronize. The landscapers you hire. The contractors you work with and who they bring with them.

Ever hear of neighborhood watch? They do a far better job than some central police station at identifying spikes in crime in their town.

we all play a part in enforcing the law.

you continue with you misinformed BS. it does nothing productive.
1. how am I supposed to verify legal status of my landscaper's employees? are you suggesting that I be racist and demand to see their work papers if I suspect them of being Mexican?

2. are you seriously suggesting that this is how the government intends to enforce immigration laws? if they want assistance, then why did the Obama admin sue Arizona? also, I seriously doubt that you would want the government to enforce all its laws this why, so why are choosing this as the preferred way for immigration enforcement? I know, because you know it cant work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey