Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:53 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,274,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_d_bear View Post
Good for you. I was going to comment on that post myself. Lack of anything to do! Lack of natural beauty! You've go to be kidding. Sure NJ has its warts. But the beaches, mountains, farm lands, Delaware River, Water Gap, large nearby cities (NYC or Phil). If you can't find beauty or things to do, you're just not looking.
LOL, yeah, of all the reasons to want to leave NJ...I wouldn't think that "lack of things to do" would be one of them! There are TOO MANY things to do in NJ, actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 09:12 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,791,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
What part o Jersey are you from? I was born and raised my whole life in the Paramus area and moved out 4 years ago to here in Florida. I hate it! I miss Jersey, my family and all my friends. If they were all down here, different story, but they are not. I thought they might follow but so far no one is! For now I am stuck and cannot go back. I could never afford it back there now. It is also a little rural here too so I will never get over the culture shock. Hope you thought out your move and will be happy in Oklahoma! Good luck!
Today is exactly one year that we've been in Oklahoma, and we are very happy with our move. Today, it's sunny and going up to 60 degrees. Been like that most of the winter. We had an ice storm in January that shut things down for a couple of days, but otherwise the winter is mild. Now, come spring the tornados will start up again for a couple of months, but we are putting in a storm shelter in our garage and my daughter and I are taking a storm chaser training class Thursday evening. Plus in some ways the severe storms are exciting. But not to everyone.

DH and I found jobs within a couple of months of moving here. DD loves it here, we bought her a horse, and she has tons of friends at the local high school. DS stayed with us here for 3 months, then went back to Jersey for five months. He's been back here now for 4 months, but he's in a trade school and has a part time job, so he's made some friends. He's going back to Jersey for spring break in March, but he's much happier here than he was last year.

Oklahoma is probably one of the best states to be in during this recession. Our unemployment rate is lower than just about everywhere else, and our housing market, which never suffered the bubble, is strong.

I lived in Central New Jersey in Ewing township. I miss my friends and family, but we're happy with our decision to move.

Last edited by colleeng47; 03-02-2009 at 09:27 AM..

Old 03-02-2009, 10:15 AM

54 posts, read 153,186 times
Default Moved out of NJ

After 50 years we moved out of NJ, with our 3 children. Moved to NC, and really miss our home. we have tried to fit in, but feel like a round peg trying to fit in a square hole. Going to try another part of this state and hopefully things will get better. We visit NJ, as my wife stills has family there, my family have all moved out. Just too expensive a place to live, and certainly too expensive too retire. much more affordable here, but that fact doesn't help the pain of missing the place where you were born, raised and loved for 50 years.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:55 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,172,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
the "D" is configurable, but it usually means "Dear Husband". BUT - could be Damn Husband, and another derogitory term that ends with "Head", LOL
He he...and all this time I thought it was DARLING husband! lol...but I think I like the former better!! DAMN husband..it has nice ring to it!!

Old 03-02-2009, 10:58 AM

961 posts, read 2,504,988 times
Saw this thread while checking out some other states on the forum. Our area(known as the southern tier of upstate NY) has been the relocation destination for a small-but-steady stream of L.I/NYC/N.J. folks for many years. While taxes (anywhere) in NY state are not dirt cheap..they're not too bad compared to the downstate metro areas. It used to be just job transplants or cops/firefighters buying rural property for recreational use. Local realtors tell me that since 9/11..there has been more pre-retirement/non-job related movement from there(and elsewhere) to our area. I asked some of the "homesteaders" over the years why they've moved up here. One constant theme...they have moved to a locale that gives then more home for the $$/more outdoor recreational opportunities(except the shore)/less crime/good schools/etc..BUT...they are still within a 3-5 drive of friends and family they've left behind.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:17 AM

118 posts, read 372,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonym267 View Post
I am doing a study on the exodus of New Jersey. I read that NJ lost some 250000 residents last year and all of my family that live up there either have plans to move within the year or plan on moving out within 5yrs. Whats up with it?

My plans are to move to NC next year, my entire family will move, my daughter is unable to make it here in Nj on here on she has a better chance in NC

Old 03-02-2009, 11:19 AM

1,577 posts, read 5,689,435 times
Semi, I love NJ and i lived here my whole life and never wanna leave but I'm trying to own a house and lately i'm not getting anywhere with finding a good priced home in Bergen, Passaic, Essex, or Hudson county that's not in a bad area. (I'm only looking in these counties)
Now i'm lookin in areas of Connecticut like Bridgeport/New Haven and even the Albany, NY area.

But my wife and I are deciding on a house in Teaneck. It's nice and actually decently priced in a nice area but it's taxes are ridiculous!

Old 03-02-2009, 11:57 AM

140 posts, read 471,059 times
This summer! Can't wait!

Old 03-02-2009, 12:18 PM

517 posts, read 1,964,927 times
I would definitely consider moving out of NJ someday (mostly because it's so expensive) but have way too many strings to actually do it.

Well, the good news is if there's a mass exodus, there will be less traffic. The bad news is that there will be too many houses available to buy and house values will go down further.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:06 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,632,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwa View Post
I would definitely consider moving out of NJ someday (mostly because it's so expensive) but have way too many strings to actually do it.

Well, the good news is if there's a mass exodus, there will be less traffic. The bad news is that there will be too many houses available to buy and house values will go down further.
The house values going down would be good news for me. I want to buy in 3 or 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey