Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 06:30 AM

40 posts, read 154,151 times

Advertisements

I am doing a study on the exodus of New Jersey. I read that NJ lost some 250000 residents last year and all of my family that live up there either have plans to move within the year or plan on moving out within 5yrs. Whats up with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 07:46 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,866,474 times
I would leave immediately if it were not for family. The irony is that I don't really think any of my family particularly wants to live here so badly.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:02 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,631,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonym267 View Post
I am doing a study on the exodus of New Jersey. I read that NJ lost some 250000 residents last year and all of my family that live up there either have plans to move within the year or plan on moving out within 5yrs. Whats up with it?
That figure is off, we lost 67,000 long time residents but gained 68,000 people moving in mostly new immigrants from other countries trying to find the american dream. As for myself I am leaning to retiring in Delaware in a house and pay about 750 dollars in property tax and no state sales tax. I just don't want to do the move and a month later come back to NJ thinking I made the wrong decision. Its amazing that our southern neighbor can have property taxes at 1,000 or below with NO STATE SALES TAX and thrive and we are taxing ourselves to death, 7 percent sales tax, 15,000 property tax and the state says they are in the hole and now they want to raise the tolls by 800 percent. This last tax might be the final nail in the coffin for my family. They want to borrow 40 billion and **** it away.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:06 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,791,870 times
We're moving out of NJ at the end of this month. Headed to Oklahoma. Our main reason for leaving is the cost of living. Not so much for DH and myself, because we have a house here and the mortgage/taxes aren't too bad. However, we have two teenagers (18 and 16) who will never be able to afford a decent life here unless there are major changes in taxes, etc., which I don't see coming. Where we're going the "average" worker can buy his/her own house. They can then also pay their (low) taxes (low) car insurance, and even have money left over to enjoy some entertainment once in a while . All of DH's family has moved out of state, and 1/2 of my family is gone. The rest are planning on leaving within 5 years. Again, due to the cost of living. Sad, really. I love my NJ house, my town, and have lots of friends, but I don't want to be the one to turn out the lights.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:16 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,622,635 times
yes, we are out of here, hopefully by March if all goes well with the sale of our home. I cannot justify the mortgage, taxes, cost of living any longer. We are moving to NC to start a new life, hopefully a better quality of life, more affordable, and hopefully better weather.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:30 AM

986 posts, read 2,808,869 times
My son moved to Tucson almost 2 years ago. He is a mechanic and could not make it here in NJ finanically. He works for BMW in Tucson has a real nice one bedroom condo (450 a month) He would never have that here. I miss him, we have been there several times since he moved. We are on our way. My sister lives in AZ. Cost of living much cheaper. Great weather most of the year. If I could just convince my 80 year old mother!!!! By the way I really love NJ.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:35 AM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,661,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I just don't want to do the move and a month later come back to NJ thinking I made the wrong decision. Its amazing that our southern neighbor can have property taxes at 1,000 or below with NO STATE SALES TAX and thrive and we are taxing ourselves to death
I made the move out of NJ about 6 months ago. We are in southwestern VA now. We had previously moved out of NJ...about 10 years ago, to FL, and ended up moving back up north. Now that I'm an adult, I would never make that mistake again. FL is no better, really, once you crunch the numbers.
I love NJ, but I can't survive there with any sort of decent standard of living. There's a lot that I miss, but there's also a lot that I don't miss. NJ was always my home, and I miss the good memories that I associate with a pretty great childhood, teens, and young adulthood there. But it was a one-sided love affair...I loved NJ more than it loved me! So I did my research and left.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:44 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,612,425 times
Taxes, Taxes and more taxes....our lovely government is OUT OF CONTROL! They have even decided that home improvement contractors now need to start taxing homeowners - even your landscaper has to now start charging you tax! Don't we pay enough in property taxes??? It seems that the cost of living in NJ keeps going up yet no one seems to be making any more money than they did 5 years ago. Imagining having an 800.00/month mortgage payment again??? That's a months worth of property taxes here...it's just getting out of control.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:04 AM

29 posts, read 89,998 times
Taxes, taxes and more taxes. I couldn't have said it better myself. I swear to God, if the politicians could figure out a way to tax us for the air we breathe, I think they would. Did someone say "Oxygen Tax"? I'm sure someone in Trenton is mulling this over right now. But seriously, what are they going to do when there's nothing of value left in the state to either sell or lease? The politicians have GOT TO STOP the runaway spending. Period. Everybody else is expected to tighten their belts except the state. Go figure.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:11 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,337,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
We're moving out of NJ at the end of this month. Headed to Oklahoma. Our main reason for leaving is the cost of living. Not so much for DH and myself, because we have a house here and the mortgage/taxes aren't too bad. However, we have two teenagers (18 and 16) who will never be able to afford a decent life here unless there are major changes in taxes, etc., which I don't see coming. Where we're going the "average" worker can buy his/her own house. They can then also pay their (low) taxes (low) car insurance, and even have money left over to enjoy some entertainment once in a while . All of DH's family has moved out of state, and 1/2 of my family is gone. The rest are planning on leaving within 5 years. Again, due to the cost of living. Sad, really. I love my NJ house, my town, and have lots of friends, but I don't want to be the one to turn out the lights.
Not trying to tell you how to be a good parent

BUT seriously, moving a 16 YEAR OLD KID is not a good idea ever, no matter what the circumstances, especially if it is from NYC metro to prairieland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey