Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 03:10 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
where did you move to that was the middle of nowhere. we moved to NC and we love it here
Its a long story what you can do if interested is go under my name and click all my posts and go to the post that says "my saga". Its kinda funny now to look back and read that story. I think you may laugh!! To make it short the Adirondacks, NY state but moved back to NJ.

What part of NC did you move too? Why do you love it? I looked all over NC and actually really like the area by Duke. This area was very nice to me!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I can answer your request. I escaped NJ about 13 years ago where I existed for some 39 years. While I made a couple more moves since there is no way on earth I would ever return to NJ. Oh I miss some things and I do love to go back to visit my dumb family members who complain about the highest taxes on earth but will not leave. But after a one week visit, that is all it takes to remind me why I never looked back.

Since my move, the many many thousands of dollar savings not having to fork over for property taxes buys me all kinds of toys such as a boat and an RV.

Some of my heart will alway be in NJ but I would much rather have all that money in my pocket then to give it to those crooked politico clowns you have there.

WHat a happy ending!!! I am glad you like it. Where did you wind up???

Old 02-03-2008, 03:15 PM

40 posts, read 154,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Not trying to tell you how to be a good parent

BUT seriously, moving a 16 YEAR OLD KID is not a good idea ever, no matter what the circumstances, especially if it is from NYC metro to prairieland

I dissagree. Yeah its a big move but she needs to realise that what they are doing is for the good of the family.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:56 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times
yes that area near Duke is so nice. i love downtowns, especially when they are vibrant. we opted for a small town called Mebane, because we were able to get a new house that we could afford. we looked all over, and were desperate to find something in each town because each has it's own flavor. but now, i cant imagine living anywhere other than right here. our new town is growing, but when we need to get to a mall, we just drive about 25 minutes into durham, pass downtown and go to south point-another great section.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:58 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times
we went to lake george for a weekend once...it was awful. it rained the whole time, and when it wasnt raining we ouldnt find any place to go but the stores and mcdonalds...i am sure that there are lovely plaes upstate, but it was bad where we were...

Old 02-03-2008, 04:13 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,660,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimistic View Post
Id NJ really this bad?! I was really looking into the state due to the fact my husband won't have to change employers if we move there. I am tired of Ga. I really wish I was rich because then I could live in the Tri-state area without the tax and house price hassle. Man I really feel like I am stuck in GA.
hey optimistic...
it's expensive, crowded, overtaxed, etc. There are a million threads here about NJ and who is fleeing it for where and why. You will read that a lot of those folks wish they didn't have to "escape". You will also read other folks' posts who manage to make it work in NJ. There are less extreme places to go to in order to get out of GA. Maybe look north, but not so far north? Chances are that your husband could do ok somewhere else...even if it means changing companies. And by the way, the GA to NJ relo with the same company would need to come with a significant wage adjustment! Hope it all works out for you!

And hey...I don't want to beat anybody up or anything but I guess you could also look at it this way:
depending on the 16 year old and the situation, a move from the NYC metro area to the prairie just might end up saving his or her life.

Old 02-03-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
we went to lake george for a weekend once...it was awful. it rained the whole time, and when it wasnt raining we ouldnt find any place to go but the stores and mcdonalds...i am sure that there are lovely plaes upstate, but it was bad where we were...
Thank you for your story on your move. I am glad you are happy. Its hard to adjust to a new area. I am thrilled to be in NJ. Call me crazy, but next time if we ever leave we will pick the suburb of a city, not the woods and mountains and nothing in between!!! I think we went into it with romantic Walden One type ideas and came home feeling really humbled. Great vacation spot but no full time. So you picked the right spot, you are lucky.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:57 PM

53 posts, read 214,924 times
I am planning on returning to Pennsylvania in May to finish college. This time when I leave, it will be for good (except to visit family). There's no way I can afford to live here on my own, which means even if I can get a job or decide to go to graduate school in NJ I would have to live with my parents. In addition to that, I just don't like much of anything about NJ - the people, the weather, the traffic, the endless strip malls, the garbage. Most of all I hate the government with all their laws and taxes. In fact, when I try to think of something I do like about NJ, the only thing I can think of is the accent

Old 02-03-2008, 10:04 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I can answer your request. I escaped NJ about 13 years ago where I existed for some 39 years. While I made a couple more moves since there is no way on earth I would ever return to NJ. Oh I miss some things and I do love to go back to visit my dumb family members who complain about the highest taxes on earth but will not leave. But after a one week visit, that is all it takes to remind me why I never looked back.

Since my move, the many many thousands of dollar savings not having to fork over for property taxes buys me all kinds of toys such as a boat and an RV.

Some of my heart will alway be in NJ but I would much rather have all that money in my pocket then to give it to those crooked politico clowns you have there.
so, is that the only reason they are dumb? are you saying that everyone who lives in NJ are dumb who pay these taxes? are you saying that me, for instance, who is poised to retire in a few years, WELL before 50, are dumb for staying? that confuses me? am I supposed to leave family, a great paying job, minimal mortgage and taxes vis a vis income, DUMB? I'm really curious. if I am, where shall I go?

Old 02-04-2008, 12:17 AM

5,073 posts, read 4,736,782 times
I have desperately wanted to move from the Phila./S. Jersey area for quite awhile. I started researching coastal NC almost exactly a year ago. My boyfriend went along with it for some time, until he revealed that he really needed (wanted) to stay closer to his immediate family.

Stubborn as I am, I kept researching and stayed on his case about the move. I admit, I was relentless. Then, we started looking at the coastal areas of S. Jersey. I believe this is where we came to an agreement. It became apparent that I could have my ocean and/or bay view lifestyle, while he could stay near his loved ones.

Now we are in Cape May County, and all is well. Right now we are renting, but within a year we may want to buy. I have to say, it is gorgeous here! Happiness...and we didn't even have to leave the state...although, my coastal NC dream will happen someday down the road .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey