Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 06:57 AM

12 posts, read 13,580 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are looking to move from London to NYC this summer. My wife and I will both be working in Manhattan (midtown and downtown). We have a young family - 10, 6 and 1. We are quite taken in by the convenience living in Manhattan, Brooklyn or other areas closeby but not sure if they will meet our family's requirements. Researching several websites on this topic has helped in some ways, but also has confused us. Our initial prioritisation has thrown up areas around Princeton (Plainsboro, Lawrenceville, etc) and Short Hills (Millburn, Summit, Chatham). We understand the commute will be much longer. Coming from London, we are used to a 1-1:15 one-way door-door commute.

1. Schools - our oldest and middle kids go to an independent (private) school in London. We understand that the good state (public) schools in these NJ towns are as good if not better than many private schools, and high property taxes fund them. We prefer our kids to join the public school system unless they are likely to have adjustment issues coming from outside the US. Is this a problem? Appreciate if anyone with a similar background can share their experience?

2. Where to live - related to above, we are keen on ensuring our kids go to good schools, but not live in 'snooty' areas which we were told some of the areas we shortlisted have a reputation for. Appreciate any suggestions.

3. Music schools - our older children, especially the 10 year old is quite serious at music. She learns the violin at a reasonably advanced level for her age. We understand that most of the weekend music schools are in Manhattan (Julliards, MSN, Mannes) but appreciate any suggestions for music schools in New Jersey which might be as good but perhaps not as well known.

4. Airport - my job requires me to travel once a week on average (largely within the US) so a reasonable commute to airport (up to 45 minutes) will be great if we can manage it. But clearly the least of priorities for now.

As you can imagine, we are quite anxious about this move and have a lot more questions...but later!

Really appreciate any guidance you can offer to confused and anxious parents!

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 07:20 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
What appears to be missing from your post is your preferred price range for a home.
Can you supply that detail for us?

Old 05-14-2016, 07:35 AM

12 posts, read 13,580 times
Thanks Retriever.

We are looking to rent a house for the first year and then buy. Good option? Thinking 4-5 bedrooms with a garden. Can go upto $1.5m all inclusive (taxes, duties, renovation, etc).

Old 05-14-2016, 07:44 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buguch View Post
Thanks Retriever.

We are looking to rent a house for the first year and then buy. Good option? Thinking 4-5 bedrooms with a garden. Can go upto $1.5m all inclusive (taxes, duties, renovation, etc).

Renting for the first year is a VERY wise way to approach the situation.
And, a budget of up to $1.5 million should enable you to live in any of the towns that you mentioned.

IMHO, I think that you would encounter less "snootiness" in the area around Princeton, as compared to the towns near Short Hills, but others may differ. I spend a lot of time in the town of Princeton itself, and I think that it compares favorably with the atmosphere of Oxford, albeit with mostly wider streets than you would encounter in Oxford.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:04 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Shortening of the Hills, as I call it would place you closer to the airport and city, however you also have the train which stops at the airport from PJ (Princeton Junction) to the EWR (Nerk) airport.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:47 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,944,661 times
Either town would be fine~Short Hills, Millburn or Princeton/West Windsor. Your housing budget will cover homes in either area. It's just how far or complicated you want the commute to be~train, bus, transfer etc. Princeton/West Windsor gives you the option of either Philadelphia or Newark airports, while Short Hills/Millburn are closer to Newark and Long Island airports. I think you'll find instruction for your musically inclined child in either area, you might have to dig a little but NJ is well known for its string programs in the elementary/junior/senior high schools. Most music teachers have access to private lesson people, or the colleges and universities (Rutgers/Princeton) might know of talented people that offer private lessons. Princeton is relatively close to Westminster Conservatory (part of Rider University), which has a very strong community music program. Check out this link: http://www.rider.edu/academics/colle...ervatory-music

Old 05-14-2016, 10:44 AM

324 posts, read 575,324 times
I'd recommend the Short Hills area, but both are great choices. It's good you plan to rent first as the two areas are quite different, so you'll have the opportunity to get a feel for each. Millburn, Chatham, and Summit are just so much closer to your offices and the airport. You could have door-to-door commutes in those towns under 1:15 but not from the Princeton area. Also, I don't know about making the train connections to Newark airport, but it's certainly not as convenient as the short car ride from the Short Hills area. You probably can fly directly from Newark to wherever you need to go, but if you cannot, I'd rather be closer to JFK and LaGuardia than Philly.

Old 05-14-2016, 04:02 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,789,495 times
Commute to NYC is much shorter from SHort HIlls or Summit or Millburn. If you both work in NYC - dont you want to be able to get home quickly if one of the kids is sick or something?

SHort Hills/Summit are under an hour total commute from NYC -(maybe :45) - Princeton is more like 1:30 (check the train schedules and add time for driving to station, parking, walking, etc).

Old 05-14-2016, 04:20 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
Commute to NYC is much shorter from SHort HIlls or Summit or Millburn. If you both work in NYC - dont you want to be able to get home quickly if one of the kids is sick or something?

SHort Hills/Summit are under an hour total commute from NYC -(maybe :45) - Princeton is more like 1:30 (check the train schedules and add time for driving to station, parking, walking, etc).
Princeton is probably close to an hour actually from either Princeton Junction or Hamilton

Old 05-14-2016, 04:37 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,852,540 times
You may want to look at the NJ Transit schedules here: New Jersey Transit - Home

Princeton & vicinity is on the NorthEast Corridor Line.
Short Hills & vicinity is on the Morris & Essex Line.

Be aware that some NJ Transit parking lots have multi-year waiting lists for a parking permit, and the daily paid parking spots fill up extremely early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey