Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2009, 06:55 AM

188 posts, read 376,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
THANK YOU. I thought I was wrong, but I didn't live there. It's ALWAYS been "Pa-sake" as far as I know, and we used to laugh (giving away my age here) because Corporal Agarn from F-Troop was supposedly from Passaic, NJ, and he pronounced it wrong.

The fake computer-woman voice on my NJ Transit train says it the three-syllable way, too. It annoys me.
It kinda annoys me too...I immediately think, "OK this person definitely was not born here" lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 07:02 AM

188 posts, read 376,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
IDK, I still stick by my pronunciation of Passaic as "Puss-say-ick". I also am a native of the town. I was born in General hospital (back when it was called that, LOL) and lived there for 11 years. My mother also lived there for 30 years and she pronounces it the same way.
We always get told "you guys are true natives" by others who grew up there b/c of our pronounciation.

I think this is just going to be a po-tay-toe/po-tah-toe issue. I was born in St. Mary's...I lived there for 16 years and attended pre-school to my 2nd year of PHS. I grew up south of the HS and never heard it pronouced any other way with my classmates, friends, and such.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 7,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Sebring View Post
how about Succasunna, naughnight, Carteret, Metedeconk...
Who came up with these names anyway
When we looked at a house in Wanaque, I pronounced it we ne ki ; the realtor was lauging
Most people from Carteret purnounce it Caw-Teh -Wet

Car-ter-et isn't wrong either so isn't Car-tur - et

But at rutgers when i heard people purnounce it Car-ter - rat or Car -ter - eet i have ot correct them,.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 6,963 times
And Closter is Klo-ster (hard o), not Clas-ter (soft o). NJ is loaded with these old Indian names.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:09 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,886,187 times
Buena is
be-U--Na
NOT bway-na

Vineland is pronounced Vinelyne NOT Vine LanD (everytime I here an out of towner use the D it's like nails on a chalkboard)

I hate it when people say Nork for Newark

Also, for the most part I find that people drop their T's

Old 12-29-2009, 06:51 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
Buena is
be-U--Na
NOT bway-na

Vineland is pronounced Vinelyne NOT Vine LanD (everytime I here an out of towner use the D it's like nails on a chalkboard)

I hate it when people say Nork for Newark

Also, for the most part I find that people drop their T's

Was the opposite for me growing up in Midland Park. It is MidLAND Park, not Middlin Park.

Of course, in the case of Vineland, people are erring on the side of pronouncing it how it's spelled. How would they know?

I also hate "Nork" for Newark. A friend of mine who says that also says Storts for Stewart's.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:46 AM

4 posts, read 11,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
With me being a Pittsburgher and having a Pittsburgh accent when I say Newark it sounds almost like I am saying "New York" really fast. I always wanted to know how it was pronounced. I never really knew our accent was that bad untill I was in Newark and New York and the locals couldn't understand what we were saying.
I went to college in Pittsburgh--love the city and the accent, which Garrison Keillor once said evolved from people having to talk without breathing

A few non-standard pronunciations for nearby towns there:

Du Bois = "DEW-boys"
North Versailles = "ver-SAILS"

Old 09-08-2014, 07:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,883 times
Boonton only has one T in it

Old 09-08-2014, 08:25 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edplunk View Post
Boonton only has one T in it
Well... if you're that disturbed by a 4 year old thread, you might also note that the other poster was talking about the second "T" in Trenton and then likened it to how people pronounce Boonton.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:05 AM

169 posts, read 294,157 times
Hey, I myself like jumping into old threads just to add my own 2 cents. NJ town pronunciation isn't all that bad and certainly isn't on the same level of Massachusetts. Anybody ever been to Peabody (peeb'dee) MA or how about Worcester (Wooster)? There are at least 10 others in MA where the pronunciation is almost nothing like the way they are spelled.

Back to NJ. The one that kills me is Bernardsville. It is NOT "BerNARDSville" it is pronouced "BerNERDS Ville" and pause between the "s" and the "v" otherwise you will never be able to hob nob with the multi trillionaires that lives there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey