Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 09:56 AM

129 posts, read 150,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Thanks! My field is chemical industry, product development.
Oh yea, Wilmington seems to offer mostly retail and tourism. I believe GM has a large plant there. Though NJ may offer way more opportunities in your field. Hoping you find your happy place. It is rough to live somewhere you are not enjoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 11:20 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,525,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbuminAZ View Post
Hoping you find your happy place. It is rough to live somewhere you are not enjoying.
Thank you.

I cannot say I don't like Houston. But it's extremely segregated city. And I cannot afford to segregate in one of most desirable areas here. Here you need at least $1 million house and pay about 3% property tax to enjoy this city. If you don't have easy money to pay these bills, Houston won't give much happiness compared to other places. And also unfortunately Houston is not as conservative as I expected before moving here. So even NJ will not be dramatic change in terms of social mindset.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:55 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Are we crazy to think we could make it in NJ? Or maybe we could be happy in Wilmington, NC if my husband was finally able to find decent employment. I'm thinking we would fit in better in NC than here, since our "Jerseyness" makes us stick out here in AZ, it's hard to make friends when you are judged by characters on TV.
That's sad. People can be so closed-minded. I don't have time for attitudes like that, what a bunch of idiots for judging you based on TV characters.

Come back. Sounds like you belong However IMHO the Bayville and Beachwood areas aren't the nicest and I find that particular area of Ocean County - and western OC in general - to be kind of depressing. There's not much going on there and I just don't like the vibes around there, maybe it's just a personal thing. I would suggest looking into Monmouth County towns as long as it's not too expensive for you. Maybe even somewhere in Middlesex.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
That's sad. People can be so closed-minded. I don't have time for attitudes like that, what a bunch of idiots for judging you based on TV characters.

Come back. Sounds like you belong However IMHO the Bayville and Beachwood areas aren't the nicest and I find that particular area of Ocean County - and western OC in general - to be kind of depressing. There's not much going on there and I just don't like the vibes around there, maybe it's just a personal thing. I would suggest looking into Monmouth County towns as long as it's not too expensive for you. Maybe even somewhere in Middlesex.
Thank you! I am really leaning towards NJ. I miss it, we were just there for July 4th week and stayed with family in Lanoka Harbor. I haven't been back in 7 years. Our girls had a blast, with lightning bugs, the beach, green grass and even squirrels (we don't have those in Phx )

I'm confident my husband would find employment faster and higher paying in NJ than in AZ or NC. It is just the housing prices. I looked online at a few neighborhoods in Brick within a good school district and found a few Mother-Daughter homes under $270k with taxes under $5500, those would work in our price range. Do you have any other town suggestions with good schools, and homes with taxes under $6k, homes under $280k? We'd like to be realistic and not be house poor. Our mortgage in AZ is less than our rent was for our tiny apartment we had in Scotch Plains 7 years ago

Thanks!

Old 08-16-2016, 04:22 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Oh yea, Wilmington seems to offer mostly retail and tourism. I believe GM has a large plant there.
Good news!
You are only "off" by about 7 years.
GM closed that factory--which was the last auto production facility in the state of Delaware--in July, 2009.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:34 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Thank you! I am really leaning towards NJ. I miss it, we were just there for July 4th week and stayed with family in Lanoka Harbor. I haven't been back in 7 years. Our girls had a blast, with lightning bugs, the beach, green grass and even squirrels (we don't have those in Phx )

I'm confident my husband would find employment faster and higher paying in NJ than in AZ or NC. It is just the housing prices. I looked online at a few neighborhoods in Brick within a good school district and found a few Mother-Daughter homes under $270k with taxes under $5500, those would work in our price range. Do you have any other town suggestions with good schools, and homes with taxes under $6k, homes under $280k? We'd like to be realistic and not be house poor. Our mortgage in AZ is less than our rent was for our tiny apartment we had in Scotch Plains 7 years ago

Thanks!
I think Brick's actually a good option.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I think Brick's actually a good option.
Thanks! Just looking to find a few towns in our price range and lower taxes with good schools so we have some options.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:37 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
So you can't deal with hot weather for 4 months but would rather deal with terrible weather for 8 months some place else. I have kids and 90-95 in AZ is like 80 in New Jersey with the humidity. Ill take our hot summers and 8 months of perfect weather instead of the ice and snow storms that cause damage to house, schools to close, flights to be cancelled, airports to be closed that you get in most northern climates.

Yes, I think you are crazy. I know many people like you. They miss home, move back home and realize what a terrible mistake it was to leave Phoenix and then ultimately return back to the Valley. While the heat is a nuisance, the convenience, cleanliness, low crime, lack of traffic, sunshine etc will be missed. I moved to Miami for the same reasons you left Arizona and moved back to Phoenix 3 years later. I couldn't wait to come back. I took it for granted. You don't realize it until you leave and recognize you had a pretty good life there.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
So you can't deal with hot weather for 4 months but would rather deal with terrible weather for 8 months some place else. I have kids and 90-95 in AZ is like 80 in New Jersey with the humidity. Ill take our hot summers and 8 months of perfect weather instead of the ice and snow storms that cause damage to house, schools to close, flights to be cancelled, airports to be closed that you get in most northern climates.

Yes, I think you are crazy. I know many people like you. They miss home, move back home and realize what a terrible mistake it was to leave Phoenix and then ultimately return back to the Valley. While the heat is a nuisance, the convenience, cleanliness, low crime, lack of traffic, sunshine etc will be missed. I moved to Miami for the same reasons you left Arizona and moved back to Phoenix 3 years later. I couldn't wait to come back. I took it for granted. You don't realize it until you leave and recognize you had a pretty good life there.
Yes, 90-95 is no problem to go play outside here. Except it does not cool down to 90 til mid October. NJ weather is beautiful 7 months of the year, April-October albeit some weeks are crazy hot and stick in the summer. Yes, the cold and icy winters are not fun. Though I'd gladly take back a winter to get me closer to the Atlantic ocean.

I understand, many think the grass may be greener or some may be home sick. I think a lot of people just realize that Arizona and desert living is not for them after years of attempting to adapt.

I would have to disagree with low crime. I honestly felt safer in Northern NJ (not in Newark or Elizabeth) than I do here. And the traffic is getting even more congested while more and more people flock to Phx. Clean, yes the valley is super clean but cookie cutter. I would definitely choose Phx over Miami, so I am so glad you found your happy spot

Old 08-18-2016, 01:18 PM

10,483 posts, read 6,999,249 times
I think what you need is a vacation back to New Jersey to see that you're not missing much. A lot of the state is gritty, like others have said nobody lives in NJ as a destination they are here because there are more jobs here other places and family is here. Also, starting in mid October the sky's turn gray and then November comes in and everyone is depressed around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey