Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2016, 04:37 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
When are people going to learn that societies, civilizations, populations of people are not static but constantly evolving? At some point in time, Europe would have recovered, without our help, and we would be right where we are now. Unless, of course, you would have been in favor of the US running rough-shod and oppressing peoples throughout the world after WWII. My post is very relevant to yours.

Unfortunately for the US, we just took a step toward barbarism and third world status by electing a shallow, money-grubbing con man to be president.

Breaking News!: The president-elect decided to settle the fraud lawsuit brought against him. That's a headline! How is it possible that a person like that will be president? How could we have fallen so far, from a man with class like Obama to a quasi-Neanderthal like trump?
I'm not talking about Europe. They already had an infrastructure to support industry before the war, and a ready made economy for rebuilding. We rebuilt West Germany and Japan, so it is no wonder why we saw German and Japanese cars in the US before cars from anywhere else. I am talking about third world countries where labor can be found for pennies an hour. Nobody was moving factories to Europe for cheaper labor because, well, labor was not cheaper there. At least not enough to justify the cost of relocating and the cost of shipping products back to the US.

Please don't go off the deep end with this "Trump will make America a third world country." nonsense.

And isn't it a good thing that he settled the suit? I thought he would let it drag on to save a few bucks, which would have really been a distraction to the issues that are important. I think some people might be angry that he settled because now it will be out of the news cycle. Better milk it now while you can, before everybody stops caring.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:03 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I'm not talking about Europe. They already had an infrastructure to support industry before the war, and a ready made economy for rebuilding.

Please don't go off the deep end with this "Trump will make America a third world country." nonsense.

And isn't it a good thing that he settled the suit? I thought he would let it drag on to save a few bucks, which would have really been a distraction to the issues that are important. I think some people might be angry that he settled because now it will be out of the news cycle. Better milk it now while you can, before everybody stops caring.
Europe's infrastructure was bombed to hell. Few roads or bridges remained useful. Factory buildings were bombed. Please check out a history book!

In your original post which I responded to, you were bemoaning the fact that we used to make everything we used in the States. This is just one instance where the propensity for populations and economies change over time; something you seem to refuse to address or take into consideration. Ugh, I'll leave it at that...

Is it a good thing that trump settled? I don't care if he settled or took it to court. The glaring fact is he swindled many people; THAT is the issue.

Anyway, I can't think about trump as president anymore. I'm getting a stomach ache.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:23 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,458,665 times
just an FYI, plant was never closing in the first place...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/18/us...sing.html?_r=0

Old 11-18-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Europe's infrastructure was bombed to hell. Few roads or bridges remained useful. Factory buildings were bombed. Please check out a history book!

In your original post which I responded to, you were bemoaning the fact that we used to make everything we used in the States. This is just one instance where the propensity for populations and economies change over time; something you seem to refuse to address or take into consideration. Ugh, I'll leave it at that...

Is it a good thing that trump settled? I don't care if he settled or took it to court. The glaring fact is he swindled many people; THAT is the issue.

Anyway, I can't think about trump as president anymore. I'm getting a stomach ache.
Stop with the nonsense about "checking out a history book." That type of debate tactic is for children. Have you ever heard of the Marshall Plan? Maybe I need to be more clear about what I was saying. Western Europe had the blueprint for industry already mapped out, all they needed was the bricks and mortar to rebuild it.

And yes, I am glad that he settled sooner rather than later, as would be typical for him. He likely paid more than he would have had he held off, but it would have been a huge distraction from the much more important job he has to do now. I'm glad he had good people advising him on this one, because letting it go on would have been a mistake for the country.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:16 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
what the heck are you talking about? Everybody knows Trump lied about half the things he said, and I mean everybody. You still can't get it through your skull that nobody cares. NOBODY CARES that he's an egomaniacal opportunist and quasi-con man, all they care about is a handful of issues he was actually running on like illegal immigration, trade deals, and terrorism and that he's going to disrupt the entrenched system. Only once you address those issues will you will find a receptive audience with his swing voters
Nope you are wrong .People care ,it's why there is protesting going on ,it's why there is rioting going on it's why people are watching him pick his racist and bigot buddies from the "golden tower"

Old 11-19-2016, 05:43 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Nope you are wrong .People care ,it's why there is protesting going on ,it's why there is rioting going on it's why people are watching him pick his racist and bigot buddies from the "golden tower"
Have to disagree with you, Democrats care but Democrats did not elect Trump.

Yes everybody agrees his is a liar, business cheater, racist , womanizer but obviously Republican voters are OK with that because they believe in Trumps enormous ego. "only I can solve Americas problems"

You're not going to change anybody's mind with your daily ramblings.

In 4-8 years you can vote for Hillary again.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Have to disagree with you, Democrats care but Democrats did not elect Trump.

Yes everybody agrees his is a liar, business cheater, racist , womanizer but obviously Republican voters are OK with that because they believe in Trumps enormous ego. "only I can solve Americas problems"

You're not going to change anybody's mind with your daily ramblings.

In 4-8 years you can vote for Hillary again.
I think most Trump supporters stopped caring after being attacked by the left in both the media and the general public for so many months. It has been a longstanding tradition in politics that you attack the candidate, not the voters. Romney broke from that and it likely cost him the election.

I am convinced that this is what lost Hillary the election as well, but with her, it was so much worse. Not only did SHE publicly denigrate Trump supporters, but the left leaning people in the media as well. And then the average democrat in the street (and online) followed suit. They called Trump supporters racists, misogynists, deplorable, uneducated, etc. And one can argue whether or not these labels are true, but you can't argue the fact that nobody is going to be willing to listen to your point of view after you call them names.

I can say without a doubt that nobody changes their vote because they were called a name. Talking about the issues rationally may or may not sway someone, but rational conversations are shut down by name calling. In fact, it had the opposite effect. It caused people to dig in deeper. I think Trump's turnout was about as high as it was going to get, and Hillary's was as low as it was going to get. Democratic supporters turned this into something personal for Trump supporters. Trump supporters that otherwise might have been too lazy or too preoccupied with other things to go out and vote, actually made sure that they went out to vote. That very well could have made the difference in some of the very close states and it might have made the difference in the outcome.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:41 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I think most Trump supporters stopped caring after being attacked by the left in both the media and the general public for so many months. It has been a longstanding tradition in politics that you attack the candidate, not the voters. Romney broke from that and it likely cost him the election.

I am convinced that this is what lost Hillary the election as well, but with her, it was so much worse. Not only did SHE publicly denigrate Trump supporters, but the left leaning people in the media as well. And then the average democrat in the street (and online) followed suit. They called Trump supporters racists, misogynists, deplorable, uneducated, etc. And one can argue whether or not these labels are true, but you can't argue the fact that nobody is going to be willing to listen to your point of view after you call them names.

I can say without a doubt that nobody changes their vote because they were called a name. Talking about the issues rationally may or may not sway someone, but rational conversations are shut down by name calling. In fact, it had the opposite effect. It caused people to dig in deeper. I think Trump's turnout was about as high as it was going to get, and Hillary's was as low as it was going to get. Democratic supporters turned this into something personal for Trump supporters. Trump supporters that otherwise might have been too lazy or too preoccupied with other things to go out and vote, actually made sure that they went out to vote. That very well could have made the difference in some of the very close states and it might have made the difference in the outcome.
I totally agree, great post.

Old 11-19-2016, 03:19 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I think the "deplorables" comment was a fatal mistake for Hillary.

Old 11-19-2016, 03:25 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think the "deplorables" comment was a fatal mistake for Hillary.
Absolutely. Really bad move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey