Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2016, 09:56 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Some on the left are definitely overusing and misusing these labels.

Someone who is opposed to illegal immigration is not "racist." Someone who opposes refugees is not "racist." Someone who has previously said he thinks trans people should be able to use whatever bathroom they want is not "transphobic" and has also said that gay marriage is now "the law of the land" and he won't interfere is not "homophobic." I think we need to get some of these people dictionaries, especially for the word "racism." Racism more than any "ism" word IMO is the most misused AND overused. It's the new go to term for someone who disagrees with one who views that person as bigoted or otherwise somehow discriminatory. The REAL word they're looking for when they say "racist" is usually "discriminatory." Or maybe "prejudiced."

But that is IF we are going to give negative labels to those who, say, oppose illegal immigration. To me, the proper label would be "law-abiding"...
Bingo +1. Sounds like me.\

Old 11-20-2016, 10:19 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
You are probably correct but she wasn't wrong.

Old 11-20-2016, 11:07 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Bingo +1. Sounds like me.\
Time to start throwing dictionaries at people.

Old 11-20-2016, 11:22 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I didn't really address this earlier, but are the family and friends you mentioned earlier really deplorable? That is a very strong word. I'm not saying they are not bigoted, as they clearly are, but do they deserve the label "deplorable"? I don't care who you are, we all have some bigoted thoughts in our heads. The best of us recognize it when it is happening within ourselves and do our best to rectify it. But it is not black and white. I guess the question I am asking is what is the threshold of bigotry that warrants the label "deplorable"? Or "racist"?

I believe lately, many people on the left are using these terms far too casually. These are labels that, not long ago, had an ostracizing effect, as they should. These labels rendered it's owner a social pariah to all but other racists, and deplorables. By throwing around the terms so loosely and casually, don't you think that they are disarming the words?
Well, as I've said before, I find the use of deplorable as a noun to be jarring, so it's not a word I would personally use. It's an adjective usually applied to actions, not people. Racist has a definite meaning. If you make a judgment about someone based on their race, it's racist. Simple.

I agree with you that we are all prejudiced. I have written about exactly that in the past, particularly after 9/11, that it's our default state to separate ourselves into Us v. Them. The challenge is to acknowledge it, identify it in ourselves, and work to make ourselves better people by rising above it.

So, I wouldn't call my racist/bigoted relatives and friends deplorable. I won't engage in discussion more than surface, lighthearted subjects with them, that's all. I do not understand why they cling so tightly to their prejudices and refuse to ever consider that what they believe about certain groups of human beings might not be true, but I can't fix them.

I have tried on here. I have explained in response to people who desperately need to believe for some reason that all Muslims fit into the box in which they believe they do that I have long known and worked with Muslim women with advanced degrees who wear slacks and interact with everyone else and even participated in interfaith charity activities. I have explained that Muslim coworkers in the WTC saved the lives of others and barely survived themselves and then had to undergo questioning by the FBI because they were Muslim engineers who worked in the WTC.

The response I get is "you are being fooled, they all just want to kill us." What do you do with people who deliberately choose to brick up their intellect? Calling them names is not an answer, but what is?

"Words like "freedom," "justice," "democracy" are not common concepts; on the contrary, they are rare. People are not born knowing what these are. It takes enormous and, above all, individual effort to arrive at the respect for other people that these words imply." - James Baldwin

Old 11-20-2016, 11:46 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, as I've said before, I find the use of deplorable as a noun to be jarring, so it's not a word I would personally use. It's an adjective usually applied to actions, not people. Racist has a definite meaning. If you make a judgment about someone based on their race, it's racist. Simple.

I agree with you that we are all prejudiced. I have written about exactly that in the past, particularly after 9/11, that it's our default state to separate ourselves into Us v. Them. The challenge is to acknowledge it, identify it in ourselves, and work to make ourselves better people by rising above it.

So, I wouldn't call my racist/bigoted relatives and friends deplorable. I won't engage in discussion more than surface, lighthearted subjects with them, that's all. I do not understand why they cling so tightly to their prejudices and refuse to ever consider that what they believe about certain groups of human beings might not be true, but I can't fix them.

I have tried on here. I have explained in response to people who desperately need to believe for some reason that all Muslims fit into the box in which they believe they do that I have long known and worked with Muslim women with advanced degrees who wear slacks and interact with everyone else and even participated in interfaith charity activities. I have explained that Muslim coworkers in the WTC saved the lives of others and barely survived themselves and then had to undergo questioning by the FBI because they were Muslim engineers who worked in the WTC.

The response I get is "you are being fooled, they all just want to kill us." What do you do with people who deliberately choose to brick up their intellect? Calling them names is not an answer, but what is?

"Words like "freedom," "justice," "democracy" are not common concepts; on the contrary, they are rare. People are not born knowing what these are. It takes enormous and, above all, individual effort to arrive at the respect for other people that these words imply." - James Baldwin
An excellent post, as usual, MQ!
Similar to your situation with your regressive relatives, I have an old friend from my college days, who harbors an incredible number of prejudices. As a result of his prejudices, I try to keep my e-mails and conversations on topics like...books that I have read...upcoming TV shows and movies...health...travel...food...and other non-controversial areas of discussion.

Unfortunately, at least 1/3 of his responses will consist of a totally off-topic rant about (pick one or more) Muslims in general, Indians, Pakistanis, Arabs, Blacks, Hispanics...and any other minority that he might have felt threated by recently. Sadly, I finally came to the conclusion that his prejudices are just too close to the surface for him to be able to successfully conceal them for more than a few moments.

His only major interest at this point appears to be stockpiling weapons of various sorts for...I guess...the Armageddon that he envisions. He even attempted to have my brother (who lives in PA) act as a Straw Buyer for weapons, but my brother quickly quashed that notion.

Can you guess who his favored candidate was?

Old 11-20-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Can you guess who his favored candidate was?
this is such a low brow notion. as if every democrat is such a refined gentleman or lady that harbors no ill will towards anyone. i brought up the vote of the convicted murderers and nobody even discussed which candidate they would vote in favor of because they all know who it would be (the democrat). but no, thats not important. some toothless low life that doesnt like muslims; that guys support is sooooo meaningful. all the people that actually murdered people (who all the democrats automatically seem to believe would vote for a democrat) their support means nothing.

but we are soooooo smart because we are liberals. we will decide which is meaningful and which isnt and we will insult your intelligence if you disagree. it doesnt matter if someone who raped and killed a child is voting for clinton; some jerk that used the n word voted for trump.

and i guarantee that anyone who voted for clinton thinks my point is totally irrelevant.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:10 PM

and my point isnt that murderers, rapists, robbers, etc. etc. overwhelmingly support democrats so democrats must be in favor of murder, rape and stealing. my point is that when you basically present 2 candidates for 130+ million people to vote for; you are going to find yourself voting in line with people who are very very different from you and some whose beliefs enrage you. it doesnt make you or the candidate you are voting for a bad person.

oh and yes it is dumb to suggest that because some racists support trump that it must say something about trump and/or his supporters.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:56 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
and my point isnt that murderers, rapists, robbers, etc. etc. overwhelmingly support democrats so democrats must be in favor of murder, rape and stealing. my point is that when you basically present 2 candidates for 130+ million people to vote for; you are going to find yourself voting in line with people who are very very different from you and some whose beliefs enrage you. it doesnt make you or the candidate you are voting for a bad person.

oh and yes it is dumb to suggest that because some racists support trump that it must say something about trump and/or his supporters.
My favorite after the election was "thanks uneducated Middle/rural America." Unbelievably condescending and inaccurate. To assume or insinuate that those in rural areas are stupid and uneducated and whatever else these elitists on the coasts like to say (racist, homophobic, blah blah, we all know the drill) is itself such an ironically uneducated and discriminatory comment to make. People in my grad school program said such things and I don't even think they realized the incredible irony. It's amazing.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:05 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,176,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
My favorite after the election was "thanks uneducated Middle/rural America." Unbelievably condescending and inaccurate. To assume or insinuate that those in rural areas are stupid and uneducated and whatever else these elitists on the coasts like to say (racist, homophobic, blah blah, we all know the drill) is itself such an ironically uneducated and discriminatory comment to make. People in my grad school program said such things and I don't even think they realized the incredible irony. It's amazing.
Negative. The best one is "Trump will start World War 3". This first came from from my 2nd grader, then my highly educated friend told me a week before election not to vote Trump because he will start WW3.

This is really unfortunate. The government has succeeded. They have took common sense from the public school education.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:18 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Have to disagree with you, Democrats care but Democrats did not elect Trump.

Yes everybody agrees his is a liar, business cheater, racist , womanizer but obviously Republican voters are OK with that because they believe in Trumps enormous ego. "only I can solve Americas problems"

You're not going to change anybody's mind with your daily ramblings.

In 4-8 years you can vote for Hillary again.
everything you wrote is basically true except "racist". That's the media's favorite smear against him because he's been the only politician with the guts to enforce immigration law. For some reason deporting illegals is "wrong" and obviously you have to be racist to want to kick out anyone from another country, even if they broke all sorts of laws to get here

Anybody who knows Donald Trump well will tell you the guy is the furthest thing from being a racist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey