Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 01:05 PM

516 posts, read 1,005,731 times

Advertisements

I have young kids and I never used the tub with them. In fact, it was so much easier to empty the baby tub into the shower basin. When they were about 1, I sat them in the shower and used hand shower. I hate showers and shower curtains and cleaning all the shower tiles.

Next house I'm going glass enclosed showers in all the bathrooms!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 01:09 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
I would be really curious about the philosophy of a previous owner that removed the tub. Kids, adults who are injured, dogs, random weird large things that are leaking, I cannot imagine buying a house without a tub. We don't take baths much in our house either but one without a tub would deter me.
For us, we would remove the tub because there is NO shower attachment at all. I had to DIY a make shift one. Its a claw foot tub, which takes up quite a bit of space AND its a pain to fill and keep clean. A normal tub and/or shower would be much better. I would not put back in a tub because our bathroom is small ( even without a claw foot tub) and a shower would allow for storage space, something else our bathroom has NONE. ( i have a sink cabinet from IKEA and thats literally it, no closet, no shelves).

Old 12-19-2016, 01:13 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
get rid of the mini blinds and go to the basement in your washer
I no longer have mini blinds or a king size comforter--which wouldn't easily fit in the washer--, but I used that tub for many things. I even took a bath once in a while.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:21 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
For us, we would remove the tub because there is NO shower attachment at all. I had to DIY a make shift one. Its a claw foot tub, which takes up quite a bit of space AND its a pain to fill and keep clean. A normal tub and/or shower would be much better. I would not put back in a tub because our bathroom is small ( even without a claw foot tub) and a shower would allow for storage space, something else our bathroom has NONE. ( i have a sink cabinet from IKEA and thats literally it, no closet, no shelves).
The bathroom from my youth! Claw foot tub, wall hung sink, toilet too close to the sink. Mom managed to fit a small chest of drawers across from the tub for towel storage.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:50 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,868,278 times
Quote:
You can get a shower riser for your claw foot tub and shower enclosure while you're at it. We have both and I have no plans to ever get rid of it. But then our bath is huge as far as bathrooms go. Coming from Manhattan the only thing I really wanted in the house was a large enough bathroom to turn around without hitting something.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The bathroom from my youth! Claw foot tub, wall hung sink, toilet too close to the sink. Mom managed to fit a small chest of drawers across from the tub for towel storage.
Across from the toilet is a door to the bedroom. Theres literally no where for storage. ETA: my uncle had a cabinet blocking the bedroom door but you couldnt sit on the toilet without hitting your knees.

walk in to left is sink, toilet, tub. on opposite wall is door and laundry chute. You can touch all 4 walls standing in the middle of the room.

Quote:
You can get a shower riser for your claw foot tub and shower enclosure while you're at it. We have both and I have no plans to ever get rid of it. But then our bath is huge as far as bathrooms go. Coming from Manhattan the only thing I really wanted in the house was a large enough bathroom to turn around without hitting something.
Too expensive. Also wouldnt add storage, which most people like to have in their bathrooms. TP, Towels, Shampoo...you need somewhere for that stuff. I dont even know how my great grandparents did it while living here.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:43 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,868,278 times
Quote:
Too expensive. Also wouldnt add storage, which most people like to have in their bathrooms. TP, Towels, Shampoo...you need somewhere for that stuff. I dont even know how my great grandparents did it while living here.
That room sounds like it didn't start with a tub at all then if you can touch all the walls.

The good news is that if you can get it out in one piece and it's in decent shape, you should be able to get a few hundred bucks from it to help pay for the renovation.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
That room sounds like it didn't start with a tub at all then if you can touch all the walls.

The good news is that if you can get it out in one piece and it's in decent shape, you should be able to get a few hundred bucks from it to help pay for the renovation.
My dad remembers a normal type tub ( with no shower) when he was a kid in the 60s. My uncle put in the claw foot tub in the 90s. No one knows what was there before because everyone you could ask has passed away.

The problem is also the pipes come up through the floor but in the middle of the floor, not in or near the wall. So im limited on options. I plan to take a sledgehammer to the whole bathroom when i can. Walls, Floor, tub, toilet. Saving the sink though. My uncle had a pedestal sink but it stuck out so far youd knock a hip out walking in!

Old 12-19-2016, 02:58 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,497,472 times
If you plan on moving in 5 years, then yes, you should keep a tub

Overall though, I believe people should make their houses work for them and to heck with this whole concept of resale values.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:01 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
I would not buy a house without a tub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: