Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 03:49 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,634,669 times

Advertisements

JC is like any large city. You got your good side, and bad side. If you know where you're going, MYOB, and stay to yourself, you'll be fine. JC has path connections to Hoboken, and Downtown (WTC) and Midtown ( 34th Street/ Herald Square). I have friends who live in JC. It would never be Manhattan, but it is the only city in NJ that has a vibe to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,769 times
Is the beacon hill area nice?

Old 02-06-2007, 08:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,766 times
i would sooooooo not move to jersey city. ive lived here my entire life and i am not so happy i am leaving to college in athens, OH. This city is not safe at all. not only is it dirty but the area is just unsafe. i live in downtown which is much better but i work up town and the store i work in has been robbed twice at gun point. their is never piece and quiet here. sirens and rude people playing unreasonably loud music every where. I would not recommend it at all. Good Luck. God Bless You!

Old 02-06-2007, 01:54 PM

209 posts, read 1,683,892 times
Rosemary, I am sorry that you are unhappy with your current situation in Jersey City and hope your move improves your situation.

I would say, though, that downtown and the Heights (that's what I am assuming you mean by uptown, or maybe Journal Square) are very different areas. Downtown is much more the yuppified, gentifying area and doesn't tend to get as much serious crime as the rest of JC. But I can see how--especially working in a store, where people come and go and you generally have a good amount of cash on hand (and you are at much higher risk of crime)--you would have a difficult time.

Jersey City is an urban area and as such had all the issues urban areas have. But that doesn't mean the entire city is bad--look at all the high-rise developments and million-dollar brownstones, which certainly reflect the value many people put on the downtown area.

And actually as far as peace and quiet I would say downtown Jersey City has an edge over Hoboken, which has many more bars and drunk post-college meatheads walking around, in addition to people playing music, sirens, etc.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:19 PM

6 posts, read 52,670 times
Jersey City is one of the largest cities in NJ. There are very good parts that can compare to Hoboken (downtown JC) and there are very bad parts (mainly in and around the projects.) Jersey City is on the rise. Since 911 there has been a big push on for not only residents, but for businesses to move across the Hudson. Rents are definitely on the rise and they are actively trying to bring Journal Square through a rennaissance. It is about 25 minutes outside of Manhattan by the path train. There are buses that go into Manhattan such as the 99s, but they depend on the Lincoln Tunnel, which is hairy around morning and afternoon rushes. I lived in Jersey City for 2 years and I didn't have any problems with crime, although there were areas I just altogether avoided. There are plenty of places to shop and I am sure that there are buses to Newark Airport from Journal Square. Newark is also an area that has many crime ridden zones and there are parts of it that should be avoided as well. In fact, with the exception of Bayonne, Guttenberg, Hoboken and Weekhawken, I can't think of any towns that are immediately accessible to Newark Airport that don't have "shady" areas,unless you want to go further south or West.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:59 PM

8 posts, read 37,101 times
Well Jersey City is a large city, though there are some decent places but you must also expect the cons. I can tell you there are some areas around NJCU that you might not want to go near by, especially areas toward Garfield Ave, very unsafe. However, Halladay street is as some other posts mention, to be a reasonable & livable place.. but definitely be cautious if your daughter decide to take a tour around JC

Old 02-12-2007, 01:16 PM

11 posts, read 12,090 times
Default Halladay Street

Halladay St is in the South District, a block away from a Methadone Clinic. Do you want your loved one's around junkies all the time?

The North District is ok. North of Journal Square, and west of Summit Avenue.

The East ( downtown ) isn't like it was years back. Not a bad area for singles as long as you have the income to live there. Like every area of the City, it does have it's bad parts.

In my opinion it's all common sense and street smarts.

Tour the neighborhood before you move in. Ghetto Thug types on corners and in front of buildings are a clue (duh).

Lots of whites, .... that's just right.

Mutts and skells, .... welcome to hell.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,388 times
Default i lived on halladay street for years

i know this is late as hell, but i grew up on halladay street and its a **** hole in a **** area... when i lived there, there was a lot of crims. car theft

and i dont want to mention wat else went on in that area

laffeyette forever

its the ghetto dont move there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey