Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 06:22 PM

13 posts, read 28,966 times

Advertisements

wow...I love NJ..close to NYC, beaches, mountains and evrything in between but it HAS become IMPOSSIBLE to keep up. And I'm one of the lucky few who bought right before market skyrocketed and I was able to buy in Ridgewood for about 250K. Taxes now 9K, my wife and I make about 110K with 2 kids and it is so hard to pay bills and have a little something left over for some fun or decent lifestsyle besides work. I look at home prices in other parts of the country (NC, Texas) and I am close to mving but have been here for all my life (48 yrs). I don't know how the youbger generation is going to do it. Prices are out of control, taxes etc. I pray for my children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 06:31 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,953,134 times
Yeah, it's really sad but true. Everyone has this story now. Honnestly, as much as I do like NJ, with what it costs to live here, the congestion, our cancer rates... I'd be running like heck out of here myself if it was not for family and friends. But you know, they are what makes my life truly worth while and I don't want to leave them. But I will say this... for the first time in my life I really have to sit down and evaluate IF we can afford this anymore... because I don't know if we can... it's horrible.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:34 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Yeah, it's really sad but true. Everyone has this story now. Honnestly, as much as I do like NJ, with what it costs to live here, the congestion, our cancer rates... I'd be running like heck out of here myself if it was not for family and friends. But you know, they are what makes my life truly worth while and I don't want to leave them. But I will say this... for the first time in my life I really have to sit down and evaluate IF we can afford this anymore... because I don't know if we can... it's horrible.
Sell and come out my way EEEEEEEE..you really need to get rid of some of those EEEE's PlEEEEasEEEEE . It's still affordabel out here... barely, but affordable in Jersey terms.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Sell and come out my way EEEEEEEE..you really need to get rid of some of those EEEE's PlEEEEasEEEEE . It's still affordabel out here... barely, but affordable in Jersey terms.
LOL - sorry you don't like the eee's, can I change my name? LOL
Are you near Panther Lake? My sister & her family were up there in the RV camp recently and I spent a day with them.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
LOL - sorry you don't like the eee's, can I change my name? LOL
Are you near Panther Lake? My sister & her family were up there in the RV camp recently and I spent a day with them.
Just a wee bit more west. Panther Lake, I believe is on Rt. 206 near Cranberry Lake? Andover/Byram area? I'm one exit further west. Where are you now?

Old 07-27-2008, 06:56 PM

You know what the only problem is - we go back to what OP states - now you've got the mega commute. I've seen worse though, I knew someone that lived in Blakeslee PA and commuted to College Point Queens everyday - how insane is that?

Old 07-27-2008, 07:09 PM

[quote=EEEPNJ;4626316]You know what the only problem is - we go back to what OP states - now you've got the mega commute. I've seen worse though, I knew someone that lived in Blakeslee PA and commuted to College Point Queens everyday - how insane is that?[/quote]

Those PA commuters are just nuts! No friggin' way would I do that commute everyday. Getting up early and getting in early and being able to leave early..that's the secret to beating the commute. Without traffic, I can make Newark airport in 45 mins.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:44 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,371,988 times
We got married in 05. Bought small 1 bedroom in Jersey city same year. Well, in 2007 we had twins, wife had to quit good paying job in NYC. I work in NYC and decent pay, but no where could afford the 2 mortgages I got for my 240k 800sq foot apartment. Fortunately we sold end of 2007, with a loss, but got out.with no savings anymore. Could never afford NJ with twins, 1 income..No way..Sad..but now living elsewhere in much bigger home, safer, and alot happier...still strapped for money, but if stayed in NJ--god only knows what would have happened.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:55 PM

148 posts, read 639,434 times
We are also a young couple, recently married and have been looking into purchasing something...the more we add the numbers and our plans for the future ( more kids possibly me working p/t to be home more) the more we dont see how it will work in NJ...most of my family is headed down south. we really dont want to leave jersey but i think we will. Most likely no time soon but once we have more children well really have to evaluate the cost of living and quality of life we are able to have here... As for now we are still hoping to be able to buy something within the near future and to be able to make it work here

Old 07-27-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
We got married in 05. Bought small 1 bedroom in Jersey city same year. Well, in 2007 we had twins, wife had to quit good paying job in NYC. I work in NYC and decent pay, but no where could afford the 2 mortgages I got for my 240k 800sq foot apartment. Fortunately we sold end of 2007, with a loss, but got out.with no savings anymore. Could never afford NJ with twins, 1 income..No way..Sad..but now living elsewhere in much bigger home, safer, and alot happier...still strapped for money, but if stayed in NJ--god only knows what would have happened.
Where did you go Todd?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey