Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 09:06 AM

702 posts, read 540,346 times

Advertisements

Bloated MD salaries are a much bigger drag on the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 09:47 AM

332 posts, read 522,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack2000 View Post
How much do you think MD's get paid, and how much should they get paid compared to similarly-educated and trained professionals? (talking about primary care and similar docs here).

Old 10-12-2017, 09:50 AM

522 posts, read 992,273 times
Quote:
If it hasn't yet, then there will come a time when you will say "Please take my whole kingdom or assets but please relieve me of this pain or disease or whatever is afflicting you".

Old 10-12-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Um, do you think they pay anywhere near enough in taxes to pay for their children’s educations and their emergency room health care? They are low skilled labor. They don’t earn anywhere near that kind of money. They are a HUGE loss for the state. The rest of us have to pick up the tab.
This does not make sense. Education in NJ (at least for non-Abbott districts) comes from property taxes and everybody pays property taxes irrespective of whether they are here legally or illegally.

Emergency room health care for truly emergency cases is humanity. Or are you suggesting that if somebody is in a road accident, then before hospital admission one has to pay a deposit first and then get admitted. Happens in many countries unless you go to a govt run hospital there i.e. money first, life later.

Cut the employment venues and illegal immigration will wane on their own. I really don't get why politicians around the US are supporting illegally entered people.

Each time I see DACA news, I really have pity for legally entered people whose minor children "age-out" due to the long wait of their parent's green card process. Take the case of two kids who entered US when they were at the same age but one was brought in illegally here and other legally entered. The illegal gets an EAD while the legal one has to go back if the parents are from backlogged countries. So much for a law-abiding country.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubulus View Post
How much do you think MD's get paid, and how much should they get paid compared to similarly-educated and trained professionals? (talking about primary care and similar docs here).

https://www.google.com/search?source...st+make+a+year

We could probably look to other countries with superior outcomes and see how they compensate their MDs.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:23 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
In NJ?

Too many vote their party line or how their union tells them to or their "ethnic" line.

It has nothing to do with what a politician says.
I would say this is true for most of the country including elections at the federal level. People vote so blindly, I don't even think they think about it. I think most pick the R or the D and that's about it.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:24 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Have you even been to Montana? Montana blows away NJ on natural beauty and quality of life that it's not even funny.

Montana is like Shangri-la and NJ is...well...like a sewer.
I'm sure that's totally why 9 million people live in MT and 1 million live in NJ. Oh wait...

Old 10-12-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
[url]

We could probably look to other countries with superior outcomes and see how they compensate their MDs.
How much do MDs spend on their education overseas? In my home country you can become a MD with a tuition fee of $2,000 in US dollars equivalent per year. How many years after that they have to spend here in residency or whatever it is called here? How old is one before one starts earning here?

And MDs in my home country can charge at will depending on their reputation since there is no concept of insurance. Unlike here, where the payment sometimes seems to be ridiculously low. When my first child was born, the ob was there the whole night and half of next day. But the payment from insurance does not take into consideration the time spent. Thankfully the OB did not think "Well, I am not getting paid much. So lets do a C-section"

During second child, epidural did not work first time and my wife was in great pain. The meter was reading very high readings during contraction. The anesthesiologist said if we have to wait some more time before second dose. Those minutes were so painful for me and I felt so helpless that I went out the room.

I would rather change my spark plugs and coolant and other fluids on my car or do repair work on my house myself or do lawn maintenance on my own to save money than to haggle with doctors for rates.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shet View Post
How much do MDs spend on their education overseas? In my home country you can become a MD with a tuition fee of $2,000 in US dollars equivalent per year. How many years after that they have to spend here in residency or whatever it is called here? How old is one before one starts earning here?

Good question! Tuition is too expensive here, with not enough public support for post-secondary education. But that's a problem in all fields, not just medicine, and I don't think that the best solution to that problem is obscene doctor salaries.

Quote:
And MDs in my home country can charge at will depending on their reputation since there is no concept of insurance. Unlike here, where the payment sometimes seems to be ridiculously low. When my first child was born, the ob was there the whole night and half of next day. But the payment from insurance does not take into consideration the time spent. Thankfully the OB did not think "Well, I am not getting paid much. So lets do a C-section"

Well, I can't comment on your home country since it seems to be some great secret which country that actually is. But most industrialized countries have standardized reimbursement rates that apply for their single payer systems.

Yes, I'm glad the OB did not perform major surgery so that she could go home early. Medicine is not the only field where things sometimes go wrong and you need to work more than you thought you would for no extra compensation.

Quote:
During second child, epidural did not work first time and my wife was in great pain. The meter was reading very high readings during contraction. The anesthesiologist said if we have to wait some more time before second dose. Those minutes were so painful for me and I felt so helpless that I went out the room.

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm not sure why that means we need to pay the doctor five times what everyone else makes.

Quote:
I would rather change my spark plugs and coolant and other fluids on my car or do repair work on my house myself or do lawn maintenance on my own to save money than to haggle with doctors for rates.

I hate haggling too! The good news is that with single payer, the haggling is done for you. Medicare has the lowest reimbursement rates because the government has the most buying power.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:10 PM

625 posts, read 797,339 times
An illegal person that I know, had two children over a 30 month period. Husband works and gets paid cash, doesn't pay taxes.

Who do you think paid for the $30,000 hospital bill each time? You can thank these anchor babies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey