Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 08:41 AM

23,864 posts, read 33,540,585 times

Advertisements

Do you have a diagnosis?
I'd have to say that that will be the most important thing. If he is Autistic, you would want a town that knows how to deal with it. My sister moved from Roselle Park to Brick due to this.

If you're talking about other learning disabilities (ADHD, behavior) most schools from what I've seen are set up to deal with that by way of an IEP. There are also advocates you can get to help you get the IEP set up.

Good luck. I've been there and know how confusing it is. Schools may try to fight you, but having a good advocate helps. Once they have the diagnosis & IEP it's fine, it's getting there that is rough.

Check google for Wrights law
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 09:59 AM

50 posts, read 323,603 times
Thank you. No, he doesn't have a diagnosis yet, but we are seeing both a neuropsychologist and a child psychologist in the next few weeks. He's been to two neurologists already, but now that it's clear he's having some focusing issues especially, we're hoping to get a clearer picture these days, and perhaps finally some kind of diagnosis that fits.

Can I ask how I'd go about getting an advocate in NJ? Is there a parents' group or other organization I should know about?

Thanks again!

Old 03-25-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYmama View Post
Thank you. No, he doesn't have a diagnosis yet, but we are seeing both a neuropsychologist and a child psychologist in the next few weeks. He's been to two neurologists already, but now that it's clear he's having some focusing issues especially, we're hoping to get a clearer picture these days, and perhaps finally some kind of diagnosis that fits.

Can I ask how I'd go about getting an advocate in NJ? Is there a parents' group or other organization I should know about?

Thanks again!
Focus issues.. do you think more along the ADHD/ADD lines or the autism spectrum? You can easily go to google to read about them if none of the doctors have given you a clue what the diagnosis will be.

Back when I needed an advocate, my sister stepped in. I will say she was very good at it. Unfortunatly, we don't speak any more otherwise I'd ask her.

Take a look at the site below, it should give you an idea on how to go about finding one.

Wrights Law

Also, from what I remember when I went through it, my sister told me that if you ask for an advocate, the school had to give you one. I don't know if it's still like that. Right now you do not sound like you have an IEP and are in the diagnosis stage.

Another thing.. there is a parents section at city data, you will also see a special needs section there, make a post.

Have you spoken to the child study team in your child school?

edit - Statewide Parent Advocacy Network - I haven't been to this site in a long time. I have to get my house ready for a showing so don't even have time to scan it, hopefully you do.

Good luck

Old 03-25-2008, 10:29 AM

Thanks for your quick response! Actually we do have an IEP. I think this is a difference between NY and NJ. In NY you don't necessarily have to have a diagnosis to qualify for services, other than delayed in certain areas.

I'm done driving myself crazy making educated guesses about my son's condition, to be honest, and am waiting to see what the new experts have to say, whether it be PDD, ADHD, both, autism, or Aspergers, etc. etc. and etc. We never could get a consensus but now that he's a little older we should hopefully have a better sense. I'm most interested in finding out what his differences are and how to work with them.

Are you saying an actual diagnosis is going to be of utmost importance in NJ? Just asking. So different from NY.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:59 AM
sj3

118 posts, read 634,603 times
I can also say East Brunswick would be a great place. West Windsor also has a lot for special needs children and I have seen how caring they are. They do work miracles there!
I am not impressed with Robbinsville at all. It may be the reason for our move out of here when we can afford it!

Old 03-25-2008, 12:01 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,806,951 times
An eval from a place like Hackensack is always a good thing to have if you have trouble receiving services.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your quick response! Actually we do have an IEP. I think this is a difference between NY and NJ. In NY you don't necessarily have to have a diagnosis to qualify for services, other than delayed in certain areas.
I would imagine that since you have an IEP, it would carry over to NJ. Hopefully someone else can answer that.

Quote:
I'm done driving myself crazy making educated guesses about my son's condition, to be honest, and am waiting to see what the new experts have to say, whether it be PDD, ADHD, both, autism, or Aspergers, etc. etc. and etc. We never could get a consensus but now that he's a little older we should hopefully have a better sense. I'm most interested in finding out what his differences are and how to work with them.
Yeah, I know what you mean as some things are similar, then if they have multiple things you have to add that as well. Had it not been for a forum I go to, I'm not sure I'd be as far as I was when I did what I did. The people on the forum I went to made suggestions leading me to look at a few different things and go from there.

Quote:
Are you saying an actual diagnosis is going to be of utmost importance in NJ? Just asking. So different from NY.
My daughter is in 9th grade right now. I tried to start this back in 3rd and was told she tested fine. I did this a few years in a row until my sister stepped in demanding my daughter get tested with the school paying for it & they did. Once they did that, she was given an IEP.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:25 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,806,951 times
I believe the IEP carries over, but NJ will probably do their own eval.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:55 PM
sj3

118 posts, read 634,603 times
Default Iep

They do have to honor the IEP however, most will want to re-evaluate. I know some will want to do their own evaluation within a month or two. That may vary by state or district, but I do know for a fact that legally they have to honor the IEP for at least a period of time.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:34 AM

Thanks everyone. I'm relieved to hear in NJ they likely have to honor the IEP, at least until they do their own eval.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey