Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 09:22 AM

50 posts, read 323,594 times

Advertisements

I've posted here before about our interest in towns in Union County, namely Cranford and Westfield, possibly Scotch Plains.

Our son is in kindergarten and we're only starting to get a sense of what his learning differences are. A school psychologist advised us to get to know how each town is regarding its students receiving special services. Do they try to "wean" them off services by junior high, for instance, or do they continue to provide special support at this critical juncture?

I'd love to hear from other parents who've been there what your experiences have been, and to gain any further help in picking a town that would accommodate our lovely little boy, who's currently getting speech and occupational therapy, and needs guidance with socialization. We can't predict the future, which is why a nurturing school atmosphere is so important to us. We were drawn to the aforementioned towns for their sense of community, downtowns, and train access to NY.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 02:54 PM

253 posts, read 1,266,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYmama View Post
I've posted here before about our interest in towns in Union County, namely Cranford and Westfield, possibly Scotch Plains.

Our son is in kindergarten and we're only starting to get a sense of what his learning differences are. A school psychologist advised us to get to know how each town is regarding its students receiving special services. Do they try to "wean" them off services by junior high, for instance, or do they continue to provide special support at this critical juncture?

I'd love to hear from other parents who've been there what your experiences have been, and to gain any further help in picking a town that would accommodate our lovely little boy, who's currently getting speech and occupational therapy, and needs guidance with socialization. We can't predict the future, which is why a nurturing school atmosphere is so important to us. We were drawn to the aforementioned towns for their sense of community, downtowns, and train access to NY.

Thank you!
I hope you are able to get the answers you need.

I know in Rahway, my nephew was going to a special school from grades 1-5 and by the 6th grade the school's social worker did an IEP and decided that he no longer needed the special services. It took a lot of manpower and letters to continue with the program, the social worker was incorrect and didn't expect my sister-in-law to put up a fight as opposed to having him in special education as a cheaper alternative.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:59 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,806,384 times
If possible, visit the schools and speak with the principal and the head of the child study team or head of special services. Then you might be able to make a better decision. Good luck!

Old 03-24-2008, 05:06 PM

9 posts, read 49,719 times
I can tell you what town not to live in. Do not live in Millburn. Unless you want to have to hire a private educational consultant to fight them tooth and nail for every little thing. They have 1-2 "special ed" classes and dump everyone in the same class no matter what issue they have. Just awful. The head of the board of education is a nightmare. Caring about children is not her priority. Saving the school district money is.

I have heard good things about Branchburg, Neshanic Station, Somerville and Metuchen.

Just dont believe everything you hear. It is a very different situation when you are actually there and seeing the quality of the therapists.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:32 PM

50 posts, read 323,594 times
Default Thanks

Oh my: I am soooooo surprised to read this response about Millburn, which has such a great reputation for special services. I hadn't considered Millburn seriously since we could probably only afford a condo there, though if things were that much superior there compared to other towns we would consider that over a house. But wow, I'm really surprised to read this. Thank you for your input.

The Rahway experience is what I'm afraid of in other towns too. If my son does need services several years from now, I don't want to be talked at about how they're bad for his self-esteem. (!)

I've heard good things about Metuchen too.

Thank you all. Please keep responses coming!

Old 03-25-2008, 06:17 AM

316 posts, read 1,248,807 times
Default The only two towns

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYmama View Post
Oh my: I am soooooo surprised to read this response about Millburn, which has such a great reputation for special services. I hadn't considered Millburn seriously since we could probably only afford a condo there, though if things were that much superior there compared to other towns we would consider that over a house. But wow, I'm really surprised to read this. Thank you for your input.

The Rahway experience is what I'm afraid of in other towns too. If my son does need services several years from now, I don't want to be talked at about how they're bad for his self-esteem. (!)

I've heard good things about Metuchen too.

Thank you all. Please keep responses coming!
The only two towns I know that are great in special Education Are East Brunswick and Woodbridge and here is Why They not only have speech and ot and pt during school year but in the summer as well as apart of the IEP.
There are a lot of great schools in New Jersey but when it comes to giving a little bit more in Special Education these two are the best.
They offer Extended school year for your child with speech and OT .
As a mom how has been thur this I will tell you whatever you want to know.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:39 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,806,384 times
I know the OP is looking in Union county, but Bloomfield has an excellent sp ed program which runs through the summer also. It is located in Oakview school, but open to all town residents who qualify.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:38 AM

38 posts, read 135,806 times
Unhappy Just some feedback..

I lived in a nice Suburban town when my son turned 2 yrs. old he wouldn't talk of course I got him evaluated at Hackensack University Hospital and a lot of other second opinions I was told he had a speech delayal, by the time he turned two firstI contacted Hudson County Early Intervention Program. They were great an OT would come to the house three times a week as well as a PT. That was the EIP program. At the same time I was told that town offered no special services for pre-K I need to look for a city that has better services. I know Jersey City is talked about negatively but beleive it or not I made the decision to take over my late grandparents old brown stone and move my family back to Jersey City from the suburbs. Jersey City has excellent services for children with special needs especially since they were taken over by the state. They are on point and by the book. My son went from not talking he just turned 4 in February and he wont' shut up now. Thank god.. He meets with an OT twice a week and PT once. My son will also be mainstreamed next year he's past all testing and can even read and write. The staff is very well trained and diverse. I think City's provide better services to children with special needs. A lot of these small towns don't want or like problems such as learning disabilites or mental health services so they don't offer them to protect there image and your paying the taxes!! You should get what your paying for.. You just really have to do your research...

Old 03-25-2008, 07:49 AM

Just like they discussed about Millburn a town big on image speical needs are horrible because they are so focused on maintaining their image and test scores up. Well guess what, Millburn didn't get higher scores than Jersey City. McNair Academy ranked #1 in the state. Also thanks for the info on Millburn you confirmed a lot by that statement.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:59 AM

Default Becareful budgets are being cut as well as summer programs such as wraparound programs. There being cut due to funding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by judithexit View Post
The only two towns I know that are great in special Education Are East Brunswick and Woodbridge and here is Why They not only have speech and ot and pt during school year but in the summer as well as apart of the IEP.
There are a lot of great schools in New Jersey but when it comes to giving a little bit more in Special Education these two are the best.
They offer Extended school year for your child with speech and OT .
As a mom how has been thur this I will tell you whatever you want to know.
Also as a Mom thats been through this can tell you due to our economy beware those summer wrap around program or what ever each individual town calls them that are part of the IEP programs are being cut in the summer time due to lack of funding and this is every where in NJ so you have to do your research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey