Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 06:36 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,678,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
Do tell.

Please provide references to support your position.

Nope, sorry !
Nice try to spin JR but you made the claim the Police were over zealous and you're dead wrong ...they had every right to do what they did....read a law book.You're the one who needs to show cause!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 11:45 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,104,566 times
The ironic thing is that we all call people like her '*******s' when something like this happens but that we respect them enough to put them in positions of power.

I would say more people in positions of power have her demeanor than not. And everybody here has a boss who would react similarly.

OTOH, nice shmucks never get put in charge of anything and are walked all over.

Old 04-28-2018, 01:43 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,678,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
The ironic thing is that we all call people like her '*******s' when something like this happens but that we respect them enough to put them in positions of power.

I would say more people in positions of power have her demeanor than not. And everybody here has a boss who would react similarly.

in this case, the Police Officers.

Old 04-28-2018, 02:38 PM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

Well, we didn't put her in that position. Chris Christie did, at the behest of Loretta Weinberg.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:00 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,596,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
If you drove a car with Jersey plates, with attention rousing details like tinted windows and license plate frames, with expired registration, and with no insurance card, out on the hick roads of Nevada...what would you expect to happen? I would expect to get pulled over for going 56 mph in a 55 mph. You think Nevada cops would treat you like the sovereign citizen king baby that you think you are? Hahahaha hee hee hoo hoo. Get real.
Driving thru Nevada is diff than NJ,,, i was driving about 110 on a 2 lane road and the cops passed right by me going about 120,,, didnt bother me at all.

Its fairly much the opposite of NJ, the most densely populated state.

As far as this Turner woman, 9 out of 10 of us would do similar,,, she was an unpaid volunteer in that position so often people that are doing things EFF ARR TRIPLE EEE FREE look for benefits like that. Total non-story.

Old 04-28-2018, 05:02 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,968,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
But honestly, I disagree with you about the daughter calling her mom thing. I suspect the daughter called her mom to pick them up because they were pulled over in their hometown, so presumably Turner was minutes away. Because the driver is apparently an out of stater and they all apparently attend Yale, it's possible that Turner's daughter was the only one from the area/NJ or even anywhere nearby and that it made sense for her mom to come get them rather than, say, paying for an uber for a short ride within the town. It was Easter weekend, so I suspect maybe the daughter's Yale friends went to nearby NJ for the holiday. Perhaps, I could be wrong but this makes the most sense to me, without knowing more.
Yeah, actually, this make a lot of sense. I think you are probably right. (You are def more even keeled than me.)

But, what I don't understand is why the daughter, and especially the driver, and also the girl (well, woman) whose parents owned the car, didn't step in and try to diffuse the situation.

Because...it turns out that the 4 people in the car are a lot older...than what I first thought, anyway. I had initially thought "college kids"...so, maybe, 20 years old? But actually, in the video, Caren Turner does specifically state "grad students", and not only that, but it turns out that the driver...that Jughead-from-Riverdale looking dude in the video...is 32. THIRTY TWO freakin' years old! I read that HERE, and thought, 'NO WAY. Obvious typo'. But northjersey.com, God bless 'em, posted the full police report which lists the driver's birth year as 1986. So I'm thinking all 4 of the people in the car that day (the 32 year-old driver, his girlfriend in the front passenger seat, and the 2 additional females in the backseat, including Turner's daughter), are probably all grad students closer to their later 20s. I mean, it's probably not very likely that, e.g., college sophomores would be hanging out with 32 year-old men.

So this whole thing is even more pathetic than I initially thought. I really can't wrap my head around the fact that these grown-ass adults didn't once try to stop Caren Turner, if only for HER OWN SAKE. I mean, who wouldn't know, in this day and age, ESPECIALLY millennials, that everything would be caught on dash cam, body cam, radio, etc. etc. If that were my mother, I would have stepped in at the 30 second mark when she first started getting real sassy with the 'NO NO NO, I'm involved, TRUST ME'. I would've been like, "MA, relax, it's fine, we'll figure it out, let's just go." If not at the 30 second mark, than certainly at the 3:40 mark, when the one cop is like, "Take a step back. Take a step back for me. Take a step back for me. I can't move back any farther. I keep moving back farther, and you keep moving closer to me. Can you take a step back? Take a step back."

Unbelievable. And this lady has the gall to put out a statement that the Tenafly cops are the ones that need to "...review best practices with respect to tone and de-escalation, so that incidents like this do not recur...". With recent events involving police violence where cops ARE the aggressors, it's especially important to praise the good ones, and keep them on our side. If it were 'CARL' Turner instead of 'Caren', advancing on a cop like that, forcing him to back up farther and farther, and throwing his finger in the cop's face while cussing him out, he probably would've been slammed against the hood of the car and been cuffed.

But the 4 passengers let this go on for EIGHT+ full minutes. They are standing around in the back giggling. The 32 year-old (THIRTY TWO!) doesn't do one thing to calm things down. His girlfriend is wiping away tears at one point, calling someone on her cell at another, than giggling with her friends and boyfriend. If you're an adult grad student, and someone else's mother is causing a scene like that because of YOUR screw up, wouldn't you feel compelled to stop that kind of train wreck that is happening on YOUR behalf? And if you are the 32 year-old man in this situation, wouldn't you, if only out of a sense of personal pride, want to try to figure things out on your own? Maybe Google how to get your girlfriend's car out of impound.

Old 04-28-2018, 05:05 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,968,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Driving thru Nevada is diff than NJ,,, i was driving about 110 on a 2 lane road and the cops passed right by me going about 120,,, didnt bother me at all.

Its fairly much the opposite of NJ, the most densely populated state.
Yeah, I get it that out in the great wide open, the speed limits are naturally going to be higher (the speed limit on the rural highways and bi-ways of Nevada is what, 70-80 mph?).

But I can't imagine that you make a routine habit of driving 35-40 over the speed limit, with NJ tags, in Nevada.

My point was that you need to be extra careful when you've got out of state plates. In my own experience, driving, or being a passenger, in a car with NJ or NY plates in PA, VA, WV, NC, and GA, my friends/family and I have been hassled by cops for a lot less. Never amounted to much in most of the incidents, other than local cops wanting show dominance over NJ/NY/Yankee trash...but I guess it's because there was nothing they could pin on us, like, you know...2 years expired registration, and inability to produce insurance card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
As far as this Turner woman, 9 out of 10 of us would do similar,,, she was an unpaid volunteer in that position so often people that are doing things EFF ARR TRIPLE EEE FREE look for benefits like that. Total non-story.
How is this a total non story? She is a public official who is in a position of power and influence. These people need to be called out and held accountable.

Old 04-28-2018, 05:45 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,345,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
The cops were pathetic.
Impounding a car because of tinted windows and a license plate frame?
GMAFB
Expired reg, and yes they will tow for that. These cops were 100 percent correct and handled themselves professionally. But her actions...well thank god she is out of her position. Her kid wasn't even the driver or owner of the vehicle. Why was she there

Old 04-28-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
My favorite part was how she was demanding that they tell her what happened when the people involved were over 18.

I have a right to privacy, even from my mom if I get pulled over, and I would expect the police to respect that right. Good for them for doing the right thing here. If the kid wants to show the mom the ticket, where it's going to be clearly indicated what happened, they can. Mom's yelling at the wrong person.
And it wasn't even her kids car or ticket!!! She had NO rights to any information on it.

Old 04-28-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
Yeah, actually, this make a lot of sense. I think you are probably right. (You are def more even keeled than me.)

But, what I don't understand is why the daughter, and especially the driver, and also the girl (well, woman) whose parents owned the car, didn't step in and try to diffuse the situation.

Because...it turns out that the 4 people in the car are a lot older...than what I first thought, anyway. I had initially thought "college kids"...so, maybe, 20 years old? But actually, in the video, Caren Turner does specifically state "grad students", and not only that, but it turns out that the driver...that Jughead-from-Riverdale looking dude in the video...is 32. THIRTY TWO freakin' years old! I read that HERE, and thought, 'NO WAY. Obvious typo'. But northjersey.com, God bless 'em, posted the full police report which lists the driver's birth year as 1986. So I'm thinking all 4 of the people in the car that day (the 32 year-old driver, his girlfriend in the front passenger seat, and the 2 additional females in the backseat, including Turner's daughter), are probably all grad students closer to their later 20s. I mean, it's probably not very likely that, e.g., college sophomores would be hanging out with 32 year-old men.

So this whole thing is even more pathetic than I initially thought. I really can't wrap my head around the fact that these grown-ass adults didn't once try to stop Caren Turner, if only for HER OWN SAKE. I mean, who wouldn't know, in this day and age, ESPECIALLY millennials, that everything would be caught on dash cam, body cam, radio, etc. etc. If that were my mother, I would have stepped in at the 30 second mark when she first started getting real sassy with the 'NO NO NO, I'm involved, TRUST ME'. I would've been like, "MA, relax, it's fine, we'll figure it out, let's just go." If not at the 30 second mark, than certainly at the 3:40 mark, when the one cop is like, "Take a step back. Take a step back for me. Take a step back for me. I can't move back any farther. I keep moving back farther, and you keep moving closer to me. Can you take a step back? Take a step back."

Unbelievable. And this lady has the gall to put out a statement that the Tenafly cops are the ones that need to "...review best practices with respect to tone and de-escalation, so that incidents like this do not recur...". With recent events involving police violence where cops ARE the aggressors, it's especially important to praise the good ones, and keep them on our side. If it were 'CARL' Turner instead of 'Caren', advancing on a cop like that, forcing him to back up farther and farther, and throwing his finger in the cop's face while cussing him out, he probably would've been slammed against the hood of the car and been cuffed.

But the 4 passengers let this go on for EIGHT+ full minutes. They are standing around in the back giggling. The 32 year-old (THIRTY TWO!) doesn't do one thing to calm things down. His girlfriend is wiping away tears at one point, calling someone on her cell at another, than giggling with her friends and boyfriend. If you're an adult grad student, and someone else's mother is causing a scene like that because of YOUR screw up, wouldn't you feel compelled to stop that kind of train wreck that is happening on YOUR behalf? And if you are the 32 year-old man in this situation, wouldn't you, if only out of a sense of personal pride, want to try to figure things out on your own? Maybe Google how to get your girlfriend's car out of impound.
Wow. Just wow. The ages make the story that much more pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey