Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 08:54 AM

4 posts, read 5,894 times

Advertisements

Hi! My family is relocating from midtown for a job in Paramus.

We've been looking for homes for a while and have been around the area a bit. I get most of the pros and cons of the county, don't really need encouragement / discouragement.

We have two kids (5 and 3) and are hoping to be in one place for ~15 years. My kids are sociable and good natured but given their, uh, parental heritage (we're nerds), are most likely to thrive in a school system that encourages students to pursue their strengths. I grew up in a place (far upstate NY) where being smrt was a big social liability.

Which school systems have a positive engagement approach to academics rather than a pressure-cooker environment? Some competition is fine but they don't need 8 hours of homework a night or anybody flogging them for getting a 97% on some test. They will do amazing as long as they are pursuing their interests. I'm mostly curious about high schools. Elementary schools in the area seem to be really strong and middle school... dunno. Seems like it's over pretty quick.

We're doing fine financially but don't care at all about stuff like luxury cars or house size, etc. The area is moneyed, I just would rather that not be a huge focus during my kids' school experience (good luck, I know).

Given their expressed interests so far I sort of anticipate them being into arts (lit/music/art) and science (bio particularly) but of course things change.

Would anybody want to weigh in on the feel of the following school systems?

Ridgewood, Glen Rock, River Dell, Northern Highlands, Pascack 1 & 2, Northern Valley 1 & 2, Tenafly, Paramus, pretty sure they're all great schools academically, just want to know how each of them feel. We've driven by most of them. I know there are a lot of similar threads and I've read a bunch, but I haven't found one that talks about the feel of the environment in each place comparatively. Also happy to hear recs about other town schools. TIA.

Last edited by fylraen; 06-06-2018 at 09:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 09:22 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,255,242 times
Well if you believe census data
https://patch.com/new-jersey/pointpl...community-rank

Old 06-06-2018, 04:00 PM

4 posts, read 5,894 times
Interesting link, I hadn't thought about it that way, but correlation with grad degrees, yeah. It would be cool to see what types of degrees that means - law and medical, MBA, sciences, etc.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:15 PM

595 posts, read 1,559,159 times
Paramus is a great town to live in! Low taxes, well funded schools, close to everything that is needed. People spend more money to live in towns like Glen Rock, but in reality the schools are not that different (I know someone that works in Glen Rock). Only time you will see a difference (in a bad way) if you compare lets say Paramus or Glen Rock with like Lodi.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:14 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,476 times
Draw a line across Bergen county and pick. Everything north of paramus is splitting hairs in terms of quality town with quality schools

Old 06-08-2018, 07:10 AM

522 posts, read 992,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Draw a line across Bergen county and pick. Everything north of paramus is splitting hairs in terms of quality town with quality schools

Or as some of the locals say any place north of Route 4 should be good.

Old 06-09-2018, 07:36 AM

191 posts, read 591,265 times
I'd stay away from Tenafly, it's ultra competitive there. Paramus has too many highways for me. The other towns are all great.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:32 AM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,401,438 times
Every one of these systems will provide excellent academics and educational experience.

If you want to avoid the gunner/money schools, you might avoid Ridgewood, Northern Highlands, Tenafly, and to a lessor degree Old Tappan and Pascack Hills.

You also need to figure out whether you want a regional system or a single town school. One difference is spreading the property tax pain over multiple towns vs one town being on the hook for the whole HS program. If a town runs into a financial problem it will have less effect on a regional system vs a single town system.

In a single town system you might have more say to what happens in the system vs a regional system.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:30 AM

191 posts, read 591,265 times
I think Glen Rock is a nice town, kind of a smaller town version of Ridgewood. Hillsdale might be among the most relaxed of those towns.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:48 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times
The pressure-cooker environment comes from the parents and filters down to the kids. Trust me, there is no teacher or administrator who wants that kind of environment.

Parents need to set the culture in their own home when it comes to grades and resist the culture around them if it doesn't fit with their values. If it means your kid doesn't make the top whatever % of the class, so be it. I'm so tired of people blaming the schools for these environments. (sorry rant over )

I agree with picking a town you like north of Paramus and going with it. It's splitting hairs sometimes drilling into this school data. And try to find a house you really like as well

Last edited by bookspage; 06-10-2018 at 07:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey