Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 02:22 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,548,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyTwo View Post
Translation: We waited too long to send the crews out. By the time we got our heads out of our asses, it was too late.
Yup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 02:25 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
how much does brining help? i was talking to a guy that lives in marlboro and he was complaining that they didnt do it. i have noticed that it seems that holmdel brines whenever there is the slightest possibility of upcoming snow.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:28 PM

10,483 posts, read 7,005,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im not sure what you are saying here. if they prepare well you wont give them any credit but if they dont prepare well you will blame them? i think its safe to say that snow preparation is political.
I'd say if the State did its job, it wouldn't be an issue. There shouldn't be anything political about snow cleanup, unless its unprepared. Instead the Governor was talking to a group of people demeaning people who live in the state at a time when the State should have been given orders to start preparing for the storm. I was up in Canada and new well before the storm hit that it was going to be a doozy.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I'd say if the State did its job, it wouldn't be an issue. There shouldn't be anything political about snow cleanup, unless its unprepared. Instead the Governor was talking to a group of people demeaning people who live in the state at a time when the State should have been given orders to start preparing for the storm. I was up in Canada and new well before the storm hit that it was going to be a doozy.
if its an obligation of government, its political. the state has a job, if it does it successfully then that would be a positive for those in control, right? what else do you expect from government other than successfully accomplishing their job?

Old 11-16-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
if its an obligation of government, its political. the state has a job, if it does it successfully then that would be a positive for those in control, right? what else do you expect from government other than successfully accomplishing their job?
You're talking in semantics. Anyway Phil Murphy did an atrocious job with preparation, instead Thursday Morning he was giving a hate speech in Atlantic City.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:46 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
its impressive how political snow clean up is. from statewide to local, residents get really angry with their politician administrators when snow isnt handled well. i wonder exactly how much control these elected officials have and how much blame is really appropriate for them. you would think that they would do whatever is within their control to prepare for snow since people are real quick to blame them for failure. id imagine a large part of the limitation is budget and not wanting to waste too much money especially if it turns out to be less of a storm than anticipated. however, it seems like every person is satisfied with any amount of preparation as long as you say to them, "better safe than sorry." i guess the issue will be problematic then when you need to spend money on other stuff.

You Sir nailed things right on the head.

State and local governments are often darned if they do, and darned if they don't when it comes to bad weather forecasts.

If they man up and prepare by having crews, plows, salt, etc... at the ready and nothing happens, they've just blown a wad on costs (including OT) for bunch of guys to sit around staring at their phones or whatever making good money on taxpayers dimes.

Then again when they don't activate you get situations as seen yesterday and typical (though likely justified) responses.

In the end you can't win. Governments only have certain sums set aside for snow/inclement weather. If they blow that wad early in winter season and bad weather pops up well into March or even April, then you've got a budget hole which must be filled.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
You're talking in semantics. Anyway Phil Murphy did an atrocious job with preparation, instead Thursday Morning he was giving a hate speech in Atlantic City.
just because you made this silly statement:

Quote:
It wouldn't be political if the State was actually prepared for the storm.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:01 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjinnj View Post
So they were out of the state and didn't do anything, what's Murphy's excuse then?
So, you approved of both the Governor and the Lt. Governor leaving the state at the same time for NON-essential purposes?
The resulting ****-storm on shore-area highways was truly horrendous.
And, incidentally, Kimmy lied about her destination when she was called to task, and our esteemed ex-Governor asked if people expected him to shovel it himself.
Now that's leadership!
NOT...

By contrast, Murphy--to his credit--stated that, ultimately, he is the one who is responsible for the storm response, and is willing to take the "fall" for this.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
just because you made this silly statement:

Do you think Phil Murphy did a good job? I see you're trying to sway a conversation based on jargon rather than the core issue. A simple yes or no will be good.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:21 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
I know people who, when they could finally leave congested areas and access the highways, saw dozens of abandoned or crashed cars sitting in the lanes or off the road. I know people who were stuck on highways for hours - 78, 280, 17. People who took 6 hours to leave Newark - just to leave the city, let alone get to the other roads. It was unbelievable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey