Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 11:53 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,250,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongobongo View Post
Since Murphy gutted the Senior Freeze and the Homestead Benefit, it's even worse.
Can you elaborate on the changes to the senior freeze program. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 10:54 AM

586 posts, read 314,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Can you elaborate on the changes to the senior freeze program. Thank you.
The income cut-off was lowered to eliminate a significant number of seniors, effectively raising their property taxes.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:37 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,250,820 times
Yes I see. The seniors I work with are low income and don’t bump up against the top. Thank you.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:42 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,267 times
Threads like this make me so glad I moved out of NJ! Like njkate, I'm in NC. When I retired in 2004, I looked at all my options and decided I could have a much better life for a lot less money in NC. New Jersey makes feeble attempts to keep its retirees. When I turned 65 in 2017, I filled out a form and sent it to the town I live in and got a 50% tax cut on my 2900 sq ft house on a quarter acre. My tax bill is now $1150 a year.

If NJ is interested in keeping its seniors, it better start thinking of doing a similar program. My old house in Paterson, one of those ubiquitous 1000 sq ft Cape Cods with 3bd and 1 ba, on 1/10 acre, has a nearly $8000 tax bill. What would be my rationale to stay in "lovely" Paterson at that cost? Nothing I can think of at this point! What would I be getting for all of that extra money? Better Pizza? Well, yes! But for the tax savings over the years, I'll be taking my new Toyota RAV back to NJ to indulge in that good pizza! That's what 4 years of tax savings will get you!

BTW, many seniors in NC do come back to NJ as stiffs! I'll read an obit in the local paper and see a similar obit for the same person in the Bergen Record. See ...you can go home again!

If you think I don't like NJ, you're wrong! I think it's a great place to live! It's just too expensive for me and I've adapted very well to not shovelling snow. My sister tells me if she wins the PowerBall or MegaMillions lottery, she will buy me a house in say, Ridgewood,Tenafly or Alpine ...my choice. Until she wins, I'm staying put!

It's 74 here, with the windows open and the cat against the screen, checking out the squirrels! Not bad for February 5th! Hope you're enjoying your proportional high temp!

Old 02-05-2019, 03:17 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Threads like this make me so glad I moved out of NJ! Like njkate, I'm in NC. When I retired in 2004, I looked at all my options and decided I could have a much better life for a lot less money in NC. New Jersey makes feeble attempts to keep its retirees. When I turned 65 in 2017, I filled out a form and sent it to the town I live in and got a 50% tax cut on my 2900 sq ft house on a quarter acre. My tax bill is now $1150 a year.

If NJ is interested in keeping its seniors, it better start thinking of doing a similar program. My old house in Paterson, one of those ubiquitous 1000 sq ft Cape Cods with 3bd and 1 ba, on 1/10 acre, has a nearly $8000 tax bill. What would be my rationale to stay in "lovely" Paterson at that cost? Nothing I can think of at this point! What would I be getting for all of that extra money? Better Pizza? Well, yes! But for the tax savings over the years, I'll be taking my new Toyota RAV back to NJ to indulge in that good pizza! That's what 4 years of tax savings will get you!

BTW, many seniors in NC do come back to NJ as stiffs! I'll read an obit in the local paper and see a similar obit for the same person in the Bergen Record. See ...you can go home again!

If you think I don't like NJ, you're wrong! I think it's a great place to live! It's just too expensive for me and I've adapted very well to not shovelling snow. My sister tells me if she wins the PowerBall or MegaMillions lottery, she will buy me a house in say, Ridgewood,Tenafly or Alpine ...my choice. Until she wins, I'm staying put!

It's 74 here, with the windows open and the cat against the screen, checking out the squirrels! Not bad for February 5th! Hope you're enjoying your proportional high temp!
I've heard that moving to NC sets off a proclivity to overuse exclamation points.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:28 PM

19,122 posts, read 25,320,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've heard that moving to NC sets off a proclivity to overuse exclamation points.
… as well as the delusion that they have moved to a state that is more "tax friendly" for retirees:
https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/retir...rees/index.php

Old 02-05-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You might be right!!!

Old 02-05-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
You might be right!!!
Just be glad that NC doesn't tax those exclamation points, like they tax so many other things in that tax-unfriendly state for retirees!!!!!

Old 02-05-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
… as well as the delusion that they have moved to a state that is more "tax friendly" for retirees:
https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/retir...rees/index.php
That is true for high-income retirees moving South. You may save a bundle on the property tax decrease, while getting schlonged by many states' income tax rates. The top rate for income tax in NC starts at about $60,000. In my case, with a retirement income of ~$30K, I'm much better off in NC.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
That is true for high-income retirees moving South. You may save a bundle on the property tax decrease, while getting schlonged by many states' income tax rates. The top rate for income tax in NC starts at about $60,000. In my case, with a retirement income of ~$30K, I'm much better off in NC.
Yup!
For those of us who knew how to invest wisely for ourselves and for our heirs, NJ is far preferable to supposedly low-tax states like NC. If you ever want some prudent investment advice, please feel free to DM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey