Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 06:57 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Whenever I encounter a slow moving vehicle in the left lane (or really any lane), the vehicle almost always has NY or PA license plates.
+1
Most of the time, it seems to be clueless PA drivers who are clogging-up the left lane by driving slower than the prevailing speed in the other lanes, but--yes--NY drivers are also notorious for this type of lane obstruction. But, at least the PA drivers seem to understand the meaning of signs that state "no left turn"--unlike so many NY drivers. At least once a month, I come upon a NY car sitting in the left lane of Route 1, apparently waiting to make a left turn. In each case, they are stopped next to a "no left turn" sign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 07:07 AM

745 posts, read 480,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Horrible, horrible driving for the past few weeks. It seems like NJ is becoming more and more overpopulated with an "evil population". People in NJ are a bunch of selfish imbeciles who think they are entitled to everything mainly when they are behind a wheel. I live in a good suburban neighborhood in eastern Morris County where the roads are extremely easy to drive, yet drivers in my town and most of NJ are driving worse for the past few weeks. In fact, the suburban driving is even more worse than driving in Newark. In fact, I have to turn on my riude "Jersey City/Newark behavior" even I am driving in suburban NJ. Too many people are driving below the 20 tick (CRUSING), which is making me "suspicious". It's like they are playing an "I Spy" game. I've been missing green lights because of these idiots holding up traffic. First of all, I think the gridlocked traffic we had in November was caused by these idiotic drivers. Too many retirees and horrific teenage drivers in NJ who can't drive well. Even the stuck traffic on Route 80 caused from that bus crash last Thursday could have been moving faster if people could learn to drive their ***** faster and not too slow.

Yet New Jersey gets stereotyped for being a state where the drivers are too aggressive and use their middle fingers. But it is the opposite! I'd prefer aggressive drivers over these selfishly slow drivers who drive "suspiciously".

I had to lay on my horn two times today and saw a driver suspiciously driving near me:

1. I was walking at Willowbrook Mall on the parking lot on the side and this sports car driving in the parking lot was driving so slow that they kept driving the same speed as I was walking. It made me suspicious. I continuously stared at them. Two girls in the car caught me staring at them and drove off!! I hate people who drive to a point where they look suspicious. All over NJ that's an issue!!

2. Laid on my horn at Willowbrook Mall when somebody wouldn't move when the light was green (happens all the time though).

3. I was driving on Route 10 East on the left lane approaching the intersection between Whippany Road. The light was green in my sight the whole time. As I got closer to the intersection, I noticed there was a car in the right lane who was just SITTING THERE FOR NO REASON and for no reason, I saw his reverse lights come on and started reversing for no reason. Even though he was in the other lane, I still laid on my horn on him as I passed him, because NJ drivers just **** the hell outta me. In fact as I was passing him, the light was turning yellow. *****!!!

I am tired of NJ's crappy quality of life due to the consequences of an excessive population that this state cannot hold. This state is attracting a higher quantity of an evil population.

I am tired of "fighting for my space" everywhere I go in NJ.
If you are TIRED of these things, MOVE!

Old 02-13-2019, 08:05 AM

50,809 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Depends on how many lanes of hwy we are discussing.
On multilane roads, the left lane is always the passing lane. Doesn’t matter if it’s 3 lanes like the parkway, or two lanes like the Blackhorse Pike.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
On multilane roads, the left lane is always the passing lane. Doesn’t matter if it’s 3 lanes like the parkway, or two lanes like the Blackhorse Pike.
+1
Even though a huge percentage of the population seems to be unaware of this legal reality, the left lane is a passing lane--not a "travel lane"--and drivers are supposed to move to the right when they are not actually passing another vehicle.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:38 AM

4,030 posts, read 3,640,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
+1
Even though a huge percentage of the population seems to be unaware of this legal reality, the left lane is a passing lane--not a "travel lane"--and drivers are supposed to move to the right when they are not actually passing another vehicle.

What if you’re trying to pass ALL the vehicles? (Asking for a friend)

Old 02-13-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
+1
I wish they would put more signs up. The expressway has a fair number of them, but the Blackhorse Pike only has about two or three the entire length. I also prefer the ones that say New Jersey law keep right past left. A lot of them just say keep right pass left and people don’t realize it’s actually law. I don’t know maybe they do and just don’t care.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
As long as you are actually passing vehicles that are on your right, then you are permitted to remain in the left lane.
Once there are no more vehicles to your right, you are supposed to move to the right, rather than remaining in the left lane.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
If everyone is keeping right and passing left, it should not be a problem. But you shouldn’t be in the left lane if the next car you’re passing is a half mile ahead of you on the right. You need to move back into the middle and then move back into the left when you’re close enough to that car to pass quickly. And again, proper passing technique is to perform it as quickly and safely as possible and move back over as quickly as possible. Too many people are going 77 in the left lane trying to pass car is in the middle lane going 75. That is not a safe or effective method of passing. That is simply driving in the left lane and passively getting past a few people. Passing is an action. If you have a small parade behind you, and you can see people jockeying to get around you in other lanes, you’re not passing properly or safely.

I don’t know, maybe it’s just me. There is nothing on the side of my car that says Pace car. It is not on me to control how fast other people go. If I am in the left lane even actively passing someone, and I see someone zooming up behind me fast, I’m going to pick up the pace get back over and let that guy by. Even more so, if I’m in the middle lane preparing to pass, and I see this guy coming, I’m not going to pull out in front of him, I’m going to wait until he goes by and then pass. I see a lot of issues where people just moved into the left lane right in front of someone that is obviously going very fast. Then they slow the guy down from 82 to 74, the guy gets mad and in my opinion rightly so because there was no reason for that person not to just wait a second. And then the road rage starts. I don’t even drive in the middle lane if I’m going below 75 and the bulk of traffic in the middle lane is going faster than that.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 02-13-2019 at 09:04 AM..

Old 02-13-2019, 08:50 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachouse View Post
My experience in Bergen/Passaic County is much different.
Whether you are going the speed limit or higher the tailgaters are always there.
Even going 60 on a 55mph highway in the middle lane I have had tailgaters.

Local roads with 1 lane in each direction with a 25mph limit tailgaters are common and many times will pass you at 45-50 if it is a wide road with no curves nearby.

Only thing I can think of is they must have a sad life if they are always in this much of a hurry.

Possibly related to the job taking over their life so they can keep up with the Joneses.
60 in the middle lane is slow as all hell, get outta here *laughing but kind of serious*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey