Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2008, 07:45 PM

16 posts, read 63,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
How about the Brunswick drive in on Rt 1 or the Amboys drive in or the Edison drive in or the Newark drive in or the Somerville drive in. I went to the submarine race watching at all those drive ins.

Back in the day we were all submarine race watchers.

Remember Murray the K, Scott Muni, Cousin Brucie, Herb Oscar Anderson, Wolfman Jack

E
The first time I went submarine race watching, the guy just wanted to neck and I wanted to know where the submarines were! We were so naive then...at least I was! Good times at all those drive-ins. Sorry they are gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
Grunnings Ice Cream the one on the hill and the one in South Orange...I would kill for their hot fudge recipe.

Olympic Park in Irvington...I was very young when it closed.

Asbury Park boardwalk...my father wouldn't drive all the way to Seaside.
Olympic Park closed in 1964. I spent many a fine summer day there. I also worked there as a cashier at the pool. My brother was a lifeguard. It was a tragic loss for many of us when it closed. I wish I could go back there for just a few minutes. There is a book about it listed on Amazon. Smile. Wonderful memories.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I just went to the web site and there is only one Arthur Treacher left and it is in Paramus at the Garden State Plaza. I know there is a Nathans in Rockaway Mall but I asked family and there is no Artur Treacher.

Miami Subs in East Brunswick sells Arther Treacher's fish and chips. They are still great.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I got one for ya all. This might test your age.

Does anyone remember the big fire what is now referred to "The Great Koos Bros. Warehouse Fire"

I think it was in Rahway? Maybe Colonia?

To this day that was one of the largest fires ever in NJ. There is almost nothing on the internet about it because it was long before computers. I seem to recall about 60 fire engines were involved and hundreds of firemen. These were giant warehouses of furniture. About 3 city blocks including the Koos Bros. showroom burned to the ground.

There was a black out in several surrounding towns that lasted almost 24 hours as the electricty was cut by firemen. The sky was coudy with smoke for days. I was a kid but remember the smell real well from over in Avenel.

What was this in about 1968 give or take? Maybe early 70s. I just did a search and there is nothing about this fire.

Anyone remember more?
The Koos warehouse was in Rahway. We bought lots of furniture there over the years. Koos went bankrupt a few years ago.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:30 AM

646 posts, read 2,668,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyR View Post
So many north Jersey folks here, I have to speak up for central Jersey....
Manasquan Beach - what was the name of the club there?

Love this thread!

..........The Osprey!

Old 05-21-2008, 04:31 AM

204 posts, read 666,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
..........The Osprey!
Thanks - I spent many nights there but it's been quite a while!

Old 05-21-2008, 11:56 AM

428 posts, read 1,472,846 times
Bambergers' and the old Menlo Park Mall

The old pier in Perth AMboy by the Armory- tons of baby bluefish to catch in the summer, assuming you didn't fall between the broken pier slats.

Is Beefsteak Charlie's still around?

Two Guys

Captain G's on Route 1 in Menlo Park.Fords- too young to go, but it used to be a hot nightclub in the early 80s.

Al's pizzeria on New Brunswick Ave. in Perth Amboy

Fords Theater on New Brunswick Ave in Fords

Old 05-21-2008, 11:59 AM

428 posts, read 1,472,846 times
I just remembered:

Wild West City- "Wild west city/the city that's running wild/come to wild west city/bring the missus and the child."

Old 05-21-2008, 11:59 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,329,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler View Post
Bambergers' and the old Menlo Park Mall

The old pier in Perth AMboy by the Armory- tons of baby bluefish to catch in the summer, assuming you didn't fall between the broken pier slats.

Is Beefsteak Charlie's still around?

Two Guys

Captain G's on Route 1 in Menlo Park.Fords- too young to go, but it used to be a hot nightclub in the early 80s.

Al's pizzeria on New Brunswick Ave. in Perth Amboy

Fords Theater on New Brunswick Ave in Fords

As far as I know-Beefsteak Charlie's is no more. I loved going there as a kid.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:25 PM

1,308 posts, read 4,620,848 times
There is a beefsteak Charlies in Fairfiled oh wiat no thats charlie Browns sorry, carry on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey