Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 01:05 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
my suggestion covers that scenario.
As in "deal with Medicaid" do you mean improve it or do away with it or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 01:26 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
As in "deal with Medicaid" do you mean improve it or do away with it or what?
well, i dont like to try to save the whole world at once. i want to just go in the right direction to get to a better place. so firstly, it would be to improve it. you may never be able to get rid of it but we could work towards reducing costs and improving quality.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
well, i dont like to try to save the whole world at once. i want to just go in the right direction to get to a better place. so firstly, it would be to improve it. you may never be able to get rid of it but we could work towards reducing costs and improving quality.
Would you agree that more people enrolled in Medicaid or a Medicaid-style program would wield more bargaining influence for cost of treatments/procedures?

Old 06-10-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Would you agree that more people enrolled in Medicaid or a Medicaid-style program would wield more bargaining influence for cost of treatments/procedures?
no. you cant make that blanket claim especially when talking about government.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
no. you cant make that blanket claim especially when talking about government.
Then what's your reasoning for the US paying far more for health care and prescriptions than other countries that have universal healthcare?

Old 06-10-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Then what's your reasoning for the US paying far more for health care and prescriptions than other countries that have universal healthcare?
i would need more information to address that.

do you want to pick a country to compare with the US? so how much does that country spend per enrollee on average and how much does the US spend? how about how much medicaid spends on average per enrollee?

Old 06-10-2019, 05:05 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
With doctors, it has an inverse relationship. Since many of us take a loss on medicaid patients, the more you give us, the more we will want to be paid. For me, my payer mix has a very reasonable amount of medicaid patients. I dont mind, and in fact, I feel like I am giving back. If you were to suddenly double my medicaid patients, in the absence of higher payments, I would have to stop accepting medicaid.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:35 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:

Lone among western (and even some eastern) developed nations the United States does not have a full national health scheme. More to the point this country does not have what France, UK, Germany and others do; a board or whatever set up by government who sets/negotiates or whatever prices for *all* pharmaceuticals. Indeed laws were enacted that specifically prevent that sort of thing from ever happening.

Outside of Medicare/Medicaid, VA, and (IIRC) federal employee health insurance everything else is largely a free market. Various insurance companies, hospitals, healthcare networks or whoever all negotiate their own drug prices.

This is how France rolls: https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/30/opini...ntl/index.html

https://www.globallegalinsights.com/...lations/france

Americans pay the highest drug prices in developed world. And Big Pharma isn't about to let that gravy train stop.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:38 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Also if you're betting on help from democrats, at least this particular Congress, forget it.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/nancy...b05c15dea94d31

Old 06-11-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Lone among western (and even some eastern) developed nations the United States does not have a full national health scheme. More to the point this country does not have what France, UK, Germany and others do; a board or whatever set up by government who sets/negotiates or whatever prices for *all* pharmaceuticals. Indeed laws were enacted that specifically prevent that sort of thing from ever happening.

Outside of Medicare/Medicaid, VA, and (IIRC) federal employee health insurance everything else is largely a free market. Various insurance companies, hospitals, healthcare networks or whoever all negotiate their own drug prices.

This is how France rolls: https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/30/opini...ntl/index.html

https://www.globallegalinsights.com/...lations/france

Americans pay the highest drug prices in developed world. And Big Pharma isn't about to let that gravy train stop.
This is what I'm referring to more. We've allowed big pharma and all health care sectors to just dictate everything we pay with no limits. Why wouldn't they charge Americans more for something if there is nothing stopping them and it's the only thing that helps with a specific condition? I don't agree with allowing a free-market on everything, especially when it comes to the lives of people in this country. There needs to be something like what you've mentioned established in the US.

And no, I don't trust that our current government would get this done. It should, but I don't trust anyone to fix anything right now. One day hopefully, and maybe with more push depending on who we elect for the next President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey