Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 07:54 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
this is ridiculous. the employees are walking back and forth all day, why should they have to walk all the way back to the lot? yes, its excessive and dangerous. it is also not a very efficient use of resources if the employees are wasting a lot of time in the walk to and from cars.

im fine with expecting mother, parents with small children, etc. etc. it just may be an issue of wasted space if they arent fully utilized. but i wont complain. i am happy to walk a little further if women or anyone wants a better spot. except those military employees, they should have special parking spots on the farthest end of the parking lot.

Because they are paid to do it?

They have to walk out there to round up the carts anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 08:13 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Because they are paid to do it?

They have to walk out there to round up the carts anyway.
yes, they are paid to do it so why would the store want to pay them to spend a lot of time walking across the whole parking lot? its extremely inefficient just because you have an opinion that doesnt make any sense.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:29 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
yes, they are paid to do it so why would the store want to pay them to spend a lot of time walking across the whole parking lot? its extremely inefficient just because you have an opinion that doesnt make any sense.

Because stores are in the business of CUSTOMER SERVICE something you seem incapable of understanding.

By your feeble logic, why would there be Clicklist shopping and they PAY employees to bring your groceries to your car when they could just have you walk into the store and get them?

Old 08-14-2019, 10:42 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Anyone can claim to be a veteran, too. You see lots of cardboard signs proclaiming "homeless veteran" on the sidewalks of New York. They know that gets them sympathy.

I saw a guy in the North Jersey Record some years ago. Long hair, skinny, about the right age, playing his piccolo on a park bench on Veteran's Day. Caption said he was a Vietnam Vet.

But I knew he was Phil the schizophrenic from the bar in Fair Lawn. He was never in the service. They wouldn't have taken him. His father was quite wealthy and had left him a house and enough funds to live on for the rest of his life with someone overseeing the funds and checking in on him. He once told me he was Commander in Chief of the Army of God, and that everyone in Washington, DC knew. That's as close to veteran as he ever got.
At least he had something to do. Commanding the Army of God is a full time job.

Last edited by Gerania; 08-14-2019 at 10:54 PM..

Old 08-15-2019, 12:00 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCashman View Post
Just because you were awarded a Purple Heart, that doesn't make you disabled.

I was in the military and rated 100% disabled because of several physical ailments. I never received a Purple Heart. (thank God). Even though I am rated 100% disabled by the VA I cannot get a Handicapped Parking sticker.
Mr. My Mother Didn't Love Me Enough will have quite a bit to say about this.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:41 AM

198 posts, read 276,737 times
Quote:
so then they shouldnt get any special parking privileges. that is for people who actually have a need. to give it to people as some kind of participation trophy for killing other people seems ridiculous.
There is no need for reserved parking spaces Purple Heart veterans or for pregnant women.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:46 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
When I was pregnant, I frequently walked home to our apartment in West Paterson from the Great Notch train station (which no longer exists) after work. It was about a mile and a quarter and included climbing a steep hill at the end. Didn't need no stinkin' parking space at the supermarket.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:37 AM

50,807 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Just some observations over a few days, counted a Wawa with 8 handicap parking spots, Shoprite had 16 and a small 7/11 in Paramus with 2 spaces has 1 handicap.

Im all for having REASONABLE handicap parking for those who need it, but its getting to the point there is just as many handicap spots as regular spots at some places and its taking away parking from everyone else, especially in a state where alot of the elderly move away from.
It's because more and more people who aren't handicapped are getting handicapped plates, or more commonly, using the handicapped placard that is supposed to be for driving their elderly parent around. The diner where my family used to get together for family birthdays had an entire front that was only handicapped spots, but still at least half the time I'd get there with my mom and they'd all be taken. Id have to let her out and walk her in from the middle of the parking lot, leave my car there till she was seated (it took a very long time cause she walks like a turtle, with a walker) then leave her there and go back out and park my car.

So people complain, and the stores. restaurants build more spots. There are also a lot more people who qualify for handicapped tags now, too, as our overall health has declined over the years. It used to be mainly the elderly who needed them, now you have a lot of younger people (50's, 60's) disabled a lot sooner than they used to be.

That said, years ago when I worked a 4-midnight shift, I once parked in one of about 15 available handicapped spots at Pathmark at 1am, because those were the spots under lights....and when I came out I had a ticket. I thought that was ridiculous, as the chances of 15 handicapped drivers all going to Pathmark at once at 1am was slim to none. I just didn't want to park in a dark spot at that time of night. I thought that cop was a jerk for giving me that ticket.

Old 08-17-2019, 12:41 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It's because more and more people who aren't handicapped are getting handicapped plates, or more commonly, using the handicapped placard that is supposed to be for driving their elderly parent around. The diner where my family used to get together for family birthdays had an entire front that was only handicapped spots, but still at least half the time I'd get there with my mom and they'd all be taken. Id have to let her out and walk her in from the middle of the parking lot, leave my car there till she was seated (it took a very long time cause she walks like a turtle, with a walker) then leave her there and go back out and park my car.

So people complain, and the stores. restaurants build more spots. There are also a lot more people who qualify for handicapped tags now, too, as our overall health has declined over the years. It used to be mainly the elderly who needed them, now you have a lot of younger people (50's, 60's) disabled a lot sooner than they used to be.

That said, years ago when I worked a 4-midnight shift, I once parked in one of about 15 available handicapped spots at Pathmark at 1am, because those were the spots under lights....and when I came out I had a ticket. I thought that was ridiculous, as the chances of 15 handicapped drivers all going to Pathmark at once at 1am was slim to none. I just didn't want to park in a dark spot at that time of night. I thought that cop was a jerk for giving me that ticket.
Yeah, that was kind of low.

I had a friend who had a severely handicapped son. She had a placard, but she merrily used it even when her son was not with her, which was most of the time. My daughter was friends with the daughter in the family and so was with them a lot, and as a little girl she got mad about this because she had a disabled Grandpa and knew that what her friend's mom did was wrong.

On the other hand, I don't mind driving my older friend with the COPD when we're going somewhere and need to park and she's got her handicapped placard...

Old 08-17-2019, 03:25 PM

50,807 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yeah, that was kind of low.

I had a friend who had a severely handicapped son. She had a placard, but she merrily used it even when her son was not with her, which was most of the time. My daughter was friends with the daughter in the family and so was with them a lot, and as a little girl she got mad about this because she had a disabled Grandpa and knew that what her friend's mom did was wrong.

On the other hand, I don't mind driving my older friend with the COPD when we're going somewhere and need to park and she's got her handicapped placard...
I never used my grandmothers or my moms on my own, although I was sorely tempted to once in the snow at the train station. To me it’s bad Karma, telling the Universe you want to be handicapped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey