Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 11:09 PM

859 posts, read 3,322,182 times

Advertisements

I think Plainsboro is great, I think Basking Ridge is great, but like others have said, I would not want to be stuck commuting from one to the other. Is there any specific reason why you have to live in Plainsboro? There are a lot of closer choices that would probably be the same cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2006, 05:14 AM

165 posts, read 516,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissSunshine View Post
I think Plainsboro is great, I think Basking Ridge is great, but like others have said, I would not want to be stuck commuting from one to the other. Is there any specific reason why you have to live in Plainsboro? There are a lot of closer choices that would probably be the same cost.

One of the biggest reasons we looked at Plainsboro was our current apartment complex would allow us to transfer without paying huge penalties for breaking our lease. Then after a year we would know the area and be able to choose where to go.

Is Piscataway nice. I know wj likes it a lot. Is it a big college community? I would not like being stuck in a complex full of partying kids....mixture of annoyance and jealousy

Old 12-31-2006, 04:58 PM

70 posts, read 380,783 times
Smile Piscataway is NOT college town ...

Piscataway is NOT college town, or, at least, not the kind of college town you have in mind. That part seems to be at New Brunswick, across Raritan River from Piscataway... Location wise it is very easy commute to Basking Ridge.

If your apartment only allows you to move to Plainsboro, I assume you will not be there for too long, less than one year? so may long commute would be a plus for you to get to know NJ well

I can not tell you much on Rt 533, but from Rt 22 to Rt 525 has very few traffic lights and traffic on Rt 22 that section is very smooth. Rt 525 is back route, many local people take that route and nice view ...

What other locations your apartment company offer?

Also, how much is the "penalty" from your breaking lease should you not move to Plainsboro ? If you give me a number, I will calculate for you if it worth commute or not ...

Last edited by wjcheng; 12-31-2006 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: one more quesion ...

Old 01-02-2007, 07:28 AM

165 posts, read 516,481 times
The penalty would be close to $1500. At this point Plainsboro looks to be it. I can tough it out for a year and then have a better idea of where we want to be.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:56 AM

12 posts, read 57,516 times
How bad is the parking in Princeton Junction? Are there houses in walking distance to the train station. We are thinking to get a house from 400k to 550k there and commute to Rahway.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:51 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,055,277 times
The parking is pretty bad at the Princeton Jct. station. There is a "many" year wait for parking permits. There is daily parking but you would have to get there very early to get a spot.
There is housing very near the station (5 minute walk) and it is priced in your range. The neighbourhood is called Berrien City and is one of the oldest areas in West Windsor, smaller, charming little homes. I think there are a couple of these homes for sale right now, they typically sell rather quickly. Look at realtor.com zip code 08550. The listing usually mentions Berrien City in the description as this is a huge attraction for commuters.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:01 PM

Thanks jerseyj. I will check it out and may go have a look next week.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:46 PM

Hi jerseyj,
Do you know if there are buses to Princeton Junction from Plainsboro or somewhere in West Windsor?
Thanks.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:06 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,055,277 times
I do know there are buses from Plainsboro to Princeton Jct train station but I am not familiar with where the pick ups are.
In West Windsor-
There is a shuttle from the Estates at Princeton Jct, on Bear Brook Rd (a development of large SF homes, town homes and apartments). There is bus pick up from the Avalon Watch apartments on Clarksville Rd and there has been talk of buses from Windsor Pond development on Village Rd (a townhouse development) but I don't know if that has happened yet.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:43 AM

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey