Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 09:26 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
While there may be cases where you don't NEED a will, I think it's always prudent. In a perfect world where everyone is reasonable and loving it might not be necessary. I just hear of so many cases where things don't go that way and at least a will spells it out. Also even with no contesting, it will just be speedier. ( obviously covid changes everything but still.....).
We had a will and recently updated it.
Yeah, I've heard horror stories when people die, even before the will comes into play. I worked with a woman who was one of 11 children. Three stopped talking to the other eight over the choice of the casket for their mother.

My only fear is that when I was out to lunch with my daughter and my ex last year before taking her to the airport, it came up in conversation that we both want to be cremated and our ashes tossed into the ocean. My daughter gets seasick, so she said she will wait until she has both of us so she only has to make one trip. Then she said, "And before I do, I'm going to take some of each of you and mix them both together..." at which we both simultaneously screamed, "NOOOOOOO".

Old 08-13-2020, 09:34 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Plus you know I might drive the 20 minutes up to Holmdel and kick your ass. Changes are I tower over you, and like my mother, I am an inherently strong woman of Dutch descent who doesn't take crap off of anybody.

She was 91 when she died, but she was still 5'9" (had shrunk a couple of inches) and 170 pounds with a back as straight as a wall.

You don't want her ghost coming around to you in the night, either.
nobody would ever want to kick my ass. i may rub some people the wrong way online but in person im always super nice and never say anything to offend people. you may end up giving your 1/8th to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2020, 09:47 AM

198 posts, read 276,360 times
Anyone who has a large portfolio with a lot of cash should start giving their money away now.

Several years ago I saw one of those financial advisors giving advice on TV. He asked "What good is giving your heirs money after you are dead?"

Leaving your heirs money after you die doesn't give you much pleasure. Giving them the money NOW would make you feel much better. They may be on hard times and could use the money now instead of waiting 5, 10 or maybe longer for you to die. They could use the money now to pay off bills, mortgages, college expenses, auto loans, etc.

Every Christmas I give my heirs the money they would have received after my death. They understand my thinking and greatly appreciate the gesture. I can afford to give it away and I feel better knowing that I am helping them now.

This advice doesn't work for everyone, but if you can afford to do it----Do it now.

Old 08-13-2020, 09:55 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
I regularly get a advertising package from a local financial/legal firm that offers a service for just that--reviewing your DIY will, advising as to changes and pitfalls, and finalizing. I'm sure they are everywhere in the state.
NOLO Publishing is well renowned for their DIY legal documents, including Wills. Their reputation is second to none.

Old 08-13-2020, 10:55 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCashman View Post
Anyone who has a large portfolio with a lot of cash should start giving their money away now.

Several years ago I saw one of those financial advisors giving advice on TV. He asked "What good is giving your heirs money after you are dead?"

Leaving your heirs money after you die doesn't give you much pleasure. Giving them the money NOW would make you feel much better. They may be on hard times and could use the money now instead of waiting 5, 10 or maybe longer for you to die. They could use the money now to pay off bills, mortgages, college expenses, auto loans, etc.

Every Christmas I give my heirs the money they would have received after my death. They understand my thinking and greatly appreciate the gesture. I can afford to give it away and I feel better knowing that I am helping them now.

This advice doesn't work for everyone, but if you can afford to do it----Do it now.
That is nice. Unfortunately, I don't have any money and am worth more dead than I am now.

Old 08-13-2020, 10:59 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
That is nice. Unfortunately, I don't have any money and am worth more dead than I am now.
That's so odd. I thought about this the other day, too. And then my head went straight to "It's a Wonderful Life" .

Old 08-13-2020, 11:27 AM

32,920 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
gotcha, i withdraw my earlier comment as not being appropriate.

i was raised with different thoughts about this stuff but they dont really apply here. every now and then i will shoot a comment to someone who mentions divvying up things according to who they like more, who needs a house, etc. etc. in the finance section. i generally believe in an equal distribution among children. its not a time to start taking shots at people or play favorites via inheritance. but that is totally not applicable here.
That's exactly the time to do it. After years of asking mom to get a will, she finally agreed when I told her that was the only way that she could keep my POS brother from getting anything from her meager estate.

Old 08-13-2020, 11:36 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That's exactly the time to do it. After years of asking mom to get a will, she finally agreed when I told her that was the only way that she could keep my POS brother from getting anything from her meager estate.
it is sad that a parent would be in a position like that. i hope that when the time comes i will not have any issue with both my daughters splitting things equally.

Old 08-13-2020, 11:40 AM

860 posts, read 1,336,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Agreed. When things aren’t all sunshine and roses it’s best to have something to document what the person wanted after they passed. My mom died suddenly in 2018 with no will. I went through the whole probate process terrified that one of my two older, long-time estranged sisters were going to demand their portion. Thankfully they ended up waiving their rights and the rights of their descendants. But it was nerve wracking for me at the time. Something legally defensible would have made things a bit easier maybe.

Old 08-13-2020, 11:50 AM

32,920 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
I regularly get a advertising package from a local financial/legal firm that offers a service for just that--reviewing your DIY will, advising as to changes and pitfalls, and finalizing. I'm sure they are everywhere in the state.
LegalZoom provides that service. Thirty days comes with the package and you can pay a small monthly fee to extend that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey