Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 10:55 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,038,600 times

Advertisements

i have to agree with the others who mentioned mastoris diner (intersection of routes 130 and 206 in bordentown). huge portions of very good diner food. love the sunflower bread - it's a must when ordering sandwiches there. pork roll, omelettes, french toast, pot pie, meatloaf - everything is a notch better than the typical jersey diner. it's a great place to go for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, but the place gets insanely packed on weekends because a lot of big groups and families go there after church or other activities. it also hosts a lot of private parties and has a bar (i believe).

the place is really huge and is split up into multiple rooms. whenever i'm passing through that part of jersey i always try to stop by.

Mastoris - Bordentown, NJ

the edison diner on rt. 1 south in edison, just north of the loews multiplex theater in new brunswick, has the best diner food in the rutgers area IMO. i've always felt that their food is consistently better than the other local options - always hot, fresh, and solid.

the summit diner, located right next to the train station in summit, has pretty good food in an old-school, atmospheric, unaffected, and un-ironic railcar diner space. it would be great just based on the decor and clientele alone, but the fact that the food is also good is a bonus. summit of course has a nice downtown and the train is right across the street, so it's in a perfect location. i wish every downtown had a diner like this.

everyone up in north jersey loves the tick tock diner on rt. 3 west in clifton, but i've always thought it was overrated. not that the food's bad - it's perfectly fine diner food - but for the price it should be better. there are places that serve better food at lower prices, including the places i already mentioned. i do like their disco fries, though. and the late night weekend crowd makes for hilarious people watching (sorry njguido). it looks like the entire crowd from the guido clubs in nyc or down the shore (think: places in belmar/seaside heights or hunkabunka in sayreville) packs into this place at 4am on a saturday night.

as for other places...not sure if white manna in hackensack counts as a diner, but if it does, then it has to be ranked up there with the best. i've never tried their breakfast items, but it doesn't matter since it's all about the burgers here. the food and the setting are great - old-school art-deco space with counter seating and no pretension whatsoever. one of my favorite non-ethnic places to eat whenever i'm in bergen county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 11:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,518 times
I am trying to find a picture of the old Luna Bell Diner on Rout 1&9 in Woodbridge, New Jersey. I know it was torn down but that is where I met my wife who lived in Perth Amboy and worked at the Luna Bell as a waitress in the early 1980s..We had 4 daughters together and raised them in Bloomington, Illinois. I met Sandi while I was working at the Hess Oil project in 1984 and 1985. We hit it off immediately and I fell in love with a native Jersey girl. She was beautiful 4' 11" and weighed 90 pounds. We never went back to New Jersey together but I have worked there a few times since. I would like to show my girls a picture of where I met their mother who passed away on May 5th 2014. I miss my Little Darling who I met in the Luna Bell Diner and the place where we met does not exist any more and neither does the hotel that was next door to the diner where I was staying when I met her. If anyone can produce a picture of the diner, I can be reached by e-mail at [email]owner69bronco@msn.com[/email] and would greatly appreciate it. The Bruce Springsteen Song, Oh Sandy really makes me miss her more so I only listen to it when it plays on Classic Vinyl, Channel 26 on XM Radio and it brings tears to my eyes every time. You can read my story in my book called The Day The Grid Went Down if you are interested.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:27 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjnix View Post
I am trying to find a picture of the old Luna Bell Diner on Rout 1&9 in Woodbridge, New Jersey.

Peter Genovese's book, Jersey Diners, has a few photos of the Luna Bell, as well as some interesting behind the scenes descriptions of the place. Did you know that it was originally designed and operated as a Chock Full O' Nuts luncheonette, and only became known as the Luna Bell later in its existence?

Jersey Diners was originally published in hard cover, in 1996, and I occasionally page through my copy for a bit of nostalgia. In 2006, the book was reissued, in soft cover, and it is available from Amazon for ~$20.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:19 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Omega Diner in North Brunswick.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:31 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,185,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Omega Diner in North Brunswick.
Good someone mentioned Omega. Been there a few times and never disappointed with the food, though service could be a bit better.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:43 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,089,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Peter Genovese's book, Jersey Diners, has a few photos of the Luna Bell, as well as some interesting behind the scenes descriptions of the place...
I really don't understand the fascination with diners. There is even a book about them?? To me, they are like McDonalds of restaurants. They all look vey similar, everyone orders the same basic, artery clogging food, such as hamburgers with French fries, sandwiches, omelets, etc. Oddly, they often have a huge menu of more sophisticated dishes that they can't really make well. And for all that, they also expect tips. I highly prefer delis with sitting. No tips and the food is usually better...

Old 01-13-2015, 08:57 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,010,138 times
The Fine Diner on W. Main St. in Clinton. Great food and wonderful service. Unfortunately, I only get to eat there a few times a year when I am visiting my Dad.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:08 AM

677 posts, read 851,544 times
I second Yetter's - from a number of posts (and years) back.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:06 AM

880 posts, read 1,250,981 times
So there you go. Most people voted for their local diner. Hope that clarifies it for ya

Old 01-13-2015, 10:50 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_bank View Post
So there you go. Most people voted for their local diner. Hope that clarifies it for ya
thats my favorite diner. cant beat being a 5 minute drive away. the red oak is always my first choice for diner action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey